·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
:twoup: :twoup:

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
Picked up and cleaned Up my new wheel tonight. Found a diy using a magic eraser to remove the dirt and skin oils from leather and take that slick shine away. I'll be darned if it didn't work. I totally disassembled the wheel so I could really scrub it and sat there for an hour cleaning all the perferations out. Followed it up with some good leather conditioner and she's looking like new. Airbag for it will be in Wednesday morning. Found a used one thru a connection thrubthe body shop. Hopefully behave it in and coded before I make a mad dash across the state to attend a sudden loss of a friend's funeral. Sad weekend blew all of a way of his passing. So we are making sure as many of us can attend his funeral..

PXL_20210514_060642738~3.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,043 ·
Too bad the airbag won't show till later today. I have to take off later this afternoo, drive across the state, crash at a hotel and bury a friend tomorrow. Then run back home. Hoping to have the wheel installed but oh well. Back at it when I get home.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 ·
I'll post pics when I get back but the GTI wheel is in, coded and working. Getting the old airbag off was a royal pain it was really stuck to the wheel. Going to love having paddles again. It didn't initially like the new coding, but cycling the module got it to accept the new coding and off I went. So much more comfortable of a wheel.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
PXL_20210519_181000329.jpg

Sorry for the delayed post. Been an emotionally draining few days. 900 miles in roughly 24 hours also didn't help much. Probably the roughest funeral I've been thru, but it was a beautiful service. But gotta say Best Upgrade Ever! Hands are not nearly as fatigued as with the other wheel, nice to blip it down a gear to build boost to pass without kicking it to manual. Also nice coming off the freeway to downshift manually to help prolong brakes. So 10/10 would recommend.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Glad you made it back safe and sound Dan. Sorry to hear of the sad reason for your 900 mile trip. :( Glad to hear of your best ever upgrade.

Garry

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,047 ·
Thanks Garry, he was a good friend. Awesome gearhead and one hell of a fabricator. He's going to be missed by so many in tbe area and even more so in the VW community. I'll put it out of anyone ever needs to talk my channels are open. Stephen and I chatted just days before, I'll be spearheading his memorial ride in a few weeks. And we have a huge celebration of life bbq at his families in July.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Ordered everything I need for this round for my 80K service from FCP Euro, $450 worth. doing all fluids to reset my baseline and some are mainly over on time. wont change the Haldex filter but I want to drain and fill the fluid, diffs, coolant, oil, trans will be soon.. New plugs and coils, and some other odds and ends.. get it in the garage next weekend, up on jackstands, and even pull all the wheels so I can properly clean the barrels and inspect the brakes, right rear is making more noise than normal when setting the brake.. and do a full nut and bolt check.. Found i Can drain the coolant by removing the lower circ pump and let things drain, but what a silly design on the Radiator with no real way to drain it...

Ill get the brakes flushed next as its been a few years for it as well.. but be a good long weekend exercise

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,049 ·
Definitely going to pull the Haldex pump and check things when it's up in the air. My transmission issue I think is actually something in the back. 2 times today taking a corner I heard the right rear tire sqeal a bit. Then it was raining and I could clearly hear it skid. Wonder if the Haldex is locked in full awd as since I've been back it's been driving like a slug like I have a trailer behind me. Not acting quite right but again no codes. I have the opportunity to use a lift but I've never put it on a lift before and don't have the proper lift inserts for the factory lift points. And his lift clearly says not to lift by the pinch welds. But I spent another $100 and got the transmission service kit, and more money on some Motl Brake fluid and can borrow a friend's brake flusher so next weekend it's getting 100% new fluids front to back, new plugs and coils and the S3 intercooler is finally going in so I'm pulling the nose, swing the AC condenser and ATF cooler away pull the intercooler and radiator out. Flush and clean everything. Going to take a few days. Just will have to ride the BMW for a few days.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
Delivery guy is gonna hate me by weeks end. One pallet is dropped tomorrow with the majority, Tuesday for the Transmission stuff, Wednesday my new Jack shows up. And Friday the remainder of my parts and pieces should be here. Other than I ordered the wrong fitting to fill the transmission with. Darn amazon and me half asleep. Needed M10x1 and I prefer a M10x1.5 fitting thanks to their suggestions.

Reactions: Mostic

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Well I am absolutely beat. Started about 7am broke for lunch and dinner and finished about 8pm.

Engine flush, oil changedcand Ceratec added
Wipers changed
Cabin Filter changed
Spark plugs replaced
Coil packs replaced
Front differential fluid changed
Rear differential fluid changed
Haldex Fluid changed and pump screen changed
Transmission fluid and filter changed.
Lots of stuff cleaned up and checked

Still have coolant to change and brake fluid flush. Maybe next weekend if it's nice.

IMG_20210604_135641_200.jpg
One plug was a bit loose (3rd from left) think that was my boost whistle it was pushing combustion past the coil seals.

PXL_20210604_223612203.jpg
Transmission looked okay, magnets had a bit of gunk on them and the filter had a grey layer of friction material on it. I'm guessing normal for 80k miles

Test drive went good. Engine is way quieter and seems to shift better. Will see how a cold start is in the morning. For now, It's toddy time and bed time for Bonzo.

Attachments

Reactions: btrtiguan and Roy03

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,052 ·
Did a 200 mike round trip today with it 2 up running 70-75 all they way. Seems to get smoother and smoother. I think it's remmaing itself a bit. Only had the transmission stutter one time after a stop for gas, a few miles from home. Most likely will order another service kit and drop and fill the transmission at 500 miles.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,053 ·
Well Iggys in the Transmission Shop having a full workup done. Estimate how bad it's gonna hit my pocket book. Said it's definitely an issue but why it hasn't triggered a CEL is beyond them. But the good part is the clutches are not slipping so the transmission internals are okay. But his scan tool is definitely breading some valve body shift issues so it's either a valve body or the TCM itself. Fingers crossed. Having coffee across the street from the shop while they drive around with it hooked to the scan tool at various speeds and on the freeway.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·

Just a small detail. $15 vs $60+ for the OEM R Line

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,024 Posts
Dan, what's the latest on the transmission? You've left us all hanging waiting for the next instalment :)

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
Oh shoot though I posted that in the other thread. Well no one seems to know the issue without a DTC or CEL. Finally talked to another guy and we drove it and said yeah it's shifting odd. Told me to do one more fluid change. He thinks 2nd and 3rd solenoids are just sticking a bit as if you drive in sport or be Aggressive it drives fine. I've just been hardly doing 5 miles a day with it and the adaptive control is trying to eek out economy as well and it can take up to 1000 miles before it readapts to a different driving style. So I'll order another service kit change the fluid to get more of the old stuff out and hopefully after a few thousand miles it sorts itself out. It's not slipping as it would throw a code and all the solenoids report on safe and clear or it would toss a code. So fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
Well it's parked now till I get it in. It slammed into second so hard coming to a stop it barked the back tires. And yet still no codes. It's not liking this 100F heat.

Reactions: n4s

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,058 ·
Got the Tig into Service Pro today and their VW Tech hopped in and watched his computer while I drove. Did a couple pulls and while it stumbled a few times it didn't really act up on us. We chatted a bit and agreed that it's most likely the TCM with a hair ups it's programming. It's a learning adaptive control. Since my commute has me hardly leaving town anymore it's adapted itself to get the most economy which is why it's trying to get into top gear as fast as possible to get the best mileage. No slippage, all solenoids working right. So said drive it a bit harder for a few days see if it can shift the program a bit and if that doesn't work do the hard reset of the TCM, since even he was unable to manually reset it in VCDS.

He also thinks getting Stage 1+ on it as soon as I can might help as my Map readings were a bit on the low side due to the CAI. So possibly adding to the issue with the freer flowing intake.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·

Will see if this fixes the transmission. Talking to my buddy with a shop, had a Tiguan in doing about the same thing. And the issue I pound into everyone I didn't even think of as I have checked it in the past and it was fine. The strap from the chassis to the transmission, this pic is of the transmission side. Nut wasn't tight tight, and definitely signs of arcing going on. Cleaned all posts and terminals and will see if it solves the issue.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Seems to have solved the issue. Up shift and down shift is smooth again and no stuttering or odd shifting now.

Reactions: mickjane2
1041 - 1060 of 1061 Posts