VW Tiguan Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1097 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Seems to have solved the issue. Up shift and down shift is smooth again and no stuttering or odd shifting now.
Good stuff, and may it continue. 👍

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·

Figured I'd do at least a small update here. Been 10 years but I finally got my personal tools back and totally revamped and organized in my box. Picked up the green center section yesterday to separate all my sockets and ratchets. Didn't realize how many 3/8" drive sockets I had most are of course metric and special for German car tools. Still. We'd to go thru my sockets and fill in where I have lost sockets over the years.

Funny part is the green section is the only part I have actually bought myself. The too Craftsman was my dad's till he upgraded probably in the late 1980s. The lower roll cart he also hand me down when he was no longer working as a mechanic for the company he spent 45 years with.

I really want a newer box one of the wider style with the deep drawers. But as you can see my space is a premium in the work shop.

As far as my Tiguan things are at a standstill spending nearly $1000 in the last 8 months sorting thru transmission issue out knocked the wind out of my sails for a bit. Still have the tilt sensor to install, finish the rear door entry lights. Pull all 4 wheel liners and undercoat and clean, then hopefully BBS will have my replacement wheel ready so it can be powder coated and my new wheels and tires installed by winter. Not saying much other than BBS Forged Wheels, Matte Dark Bronze color and the Wildpeak ATs. Now that I have access to a lift I have a few things I can do easier.

Really don't know what's next or what I want to do next with it. With prices up, availability low and seeing how much of a pain it is to get OPS/ PLA 2.5 to work on a US Tiguan I scratched it off the list.

The new Integrated Engineerings Tune will be about the only big thing coming. Now that the transmission is shifting right again I can retune it. But since I didn't really pay for the APR. Tune I have to pay to have it retuned. So IE it is with it lower end torque and throttle response difference.

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
Iggy I have a very similar snap on set up as you only difference it’s I have an extra roll cab. I was looking at the US pro 72” wooden top roll cab as it about 3grand cheaper than the Snapon one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
Snap on has got crazy expensive. People take second mortgages out here to own a full Snapon chest. If I had the room Husky (home Depot) made by Michigan Tool has a beautiful 72" top and bottom with a side chest for about $2300. Equivalent in Snapon would be $30k+

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,065 ·
Well the hunt for my next vehicle will be starting so I am ready to buy when the market restabilizes. I can't fathom a full size truck now, and a full size SUV is the same. I really don't have the need. I want to stay with a mid size crossover, and really want back into a diesel.

I stopped and looked at a 2016 BMW X5 35D with the new 8 Speed Automatic. Sport package, Loaded to the 9s, I liked the wood grain accents, the infotainment screen was really nice and everything at my fingertips. I liked how it rode, and it has the towing capacity I am after as I am also picking up a 16 foot Camper/ Caravan as well next year. Just one I have on my radar. I am also looking at the new Ranger and the Colorado Diesel. But really like the SUV for more passenger comfort and storing stuff inside. I also looked at the 4 Runner and Highlander but here used Toyotas sell for a huge premium. I can't justify spending $30k+ on a 5 year old 4 Runner TRD with 120k miles.

And whatever it is it will need all the bells and whistles. My modding enthusiasm has dwindled lately. Mostly due to space, and my ever health fight Still going to get the retrofit headlights redone and installed before winter hits but I think that will be Iggy's final mod.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,337 Posts
May I dare suggest Volvo XC40 as i've gone.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
May I dare suggest Volvo XC40 as i've gone.
The XC40 is very popular here along with its siblings XC60 and 90, but many more 40's.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
Hard part is the nearest Volvo dealer to me is quite a drive. I've always loved the xc70 wagons, walking away from a serious crash in one. I need something with a 4000+ pound tow capacity as well. Still digging. Gotta let the market cool off first.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,069 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Just going to go look at this one this week, it's got a bit more miles than I want, but it's got the M Sport Package for the Heads up Display, and is loaded up well with a very tiny 3rd row seat. Not wanting white either. But the dealer is being nice and letting me have it for a day. But this dealer has a 1 year unlimited mile warranty on the power train. Since I'll have to sell my Tiguan outright first, I didn't even bother asking for trade in deals. Waiting to go test a Chevy Colorado Diesel next weekend as well.

I will also add the XC90 to the list as well. The 40 is just a bit too small for what I want. Need to be able to get my walker or a wheelchair behind the rear seat, if not for me in the future but to transport my mom comfortably.

Plus the tuning options of the 3.0 Diesel in the BMW is impressive. Lol!

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
Stay tuned. I have been going back thru and editing and redoing and adding long lost photos to my thread. Between what I recovered from Photobucket, photos I've saved and photos from Facebook I'm filling in many gaps from dead links and old failed lost photos. !

Now that I have a clean bench again time to finally get these retro headlights built and working!

Also was given a 4k backup sensor kit. May get that done as well. But first I am pulling the interior apart next weekend or so and fixing the sub wiring and moving the sub. Tired of not being able to lift the floor in back. ..

EDIT! Entire thread has been restored! all 54 pages in epic Technicolor!

Reactions: Mostic

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,071 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Back in June I did a thing and landed my dream bike, its a 1998 Road King, Customized, Custom Paint, an lots of extras, only 30K original miles... Sold the Sporty to the local shop the next day... Already put over 2k miles on it, but its had a few minor issues, mostly from sitting as long as it did. New Tires, some new parts to replaced dried out rubber, full Carb Rebuild.. and Stepping up to Stage 2 Tune in Jetting..

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Beautiful bike. 👍👍

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Sad to say it looks like this right now. Had to take the carb off of it to go thru and see if I could find why it was backfiring so badly and running really rich. Found some plugged galleys and an oring and washer missing. Hopefully have it back together Saturday when all the parts show up.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Wood

But hey, I've been cramming for the last week and a half as well. Got all my back logged projects done and gone, and my bench cleared off, organized and cleaned.

Have a few over winter projects to wrap up the guitar amp case is becoming the new shop radio, and then it's finally time to finish a radio I started 4 years ago. I'm done with commission work. I just don't have the time anymore to devote to others radios or electronics when my main gig is keeping me busy as ever. I have 5-6 vehicles to work on over the winter.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,074 ·
Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Tread Motor vehicle

Finally got my new wheels into the powder coat bay. Same wheel, just a bit lower offset ET28 vs ET32 to run my Wildpeak ATs on.

This was after the primary coat, the tinted clear with some darker highlights is next.

Tired of the dark grey so these should pop a bit with the more aggressive tires.

Crazy thing, I am letting the old man take my Tiguan for an emergency run back to Idaho to attend a very long time friend of his funeral Saturday. Be his first long distance trip with it on his own. Gotta get it cleaned up and half presentable. Lol his truck would pound him to death, and mom's car need new tires before going that far so guess it's better safe than sorry for him to borrow mine. I just get to okay with his hot rod this weekend. Lol!! I'll try and leave some rubber on the back tires for him.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,075 ·
Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Car Odometer
Car Speedometer Vehicle Steering part Trip computer
Vehicle Automotive lighting Speedometer Car Trip computer
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Fixture

Realized I never shared my recent LED update. I added some 10 ohm resistors to the footwells to further from them a bit more. Still look bright due to exposure, but compare to the light on the building in front of me. I was sitting waiting for an appt this morning before sunrise band got the shots. Much more comfortable at night and honestly don't see much loss with the doors open. I am also working on a two phase system, so at a voltage below 8v with the lights on the footwells will be RGB so I can find a color I like, and with the door open they will turn white and bright.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,076 ·
Well looks like I have a somewhat permanent garage parking spot now. With what happens earlier this year my mom was no longer able to drive anymore, so a deal came along so my old man was able to trade his truck and her car in and picked up a 2019 Chevy Colorado 2wd with only 3k miles on it. Bad part it's about 24" too long to fit in the garage. So I've been granted permission to park inside now. Maybe I'll get around to a few more of them mods now. Lol!

I'd honestly love to get the Off Road mode working, now that I have found my button panel is for the BCM trigger and not the ECU trigger. Well when I'm not busy as heck anyway.

Reactions: Mostic

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,077 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Managed to get everything but the paint done today. Interiors totally detailed. All plastics clean wheels pulled off and cleaned and waxed, and tires (tyres) cleaned and treated. Glass has a fresh coat of Rain X on it. If tomorrow allows I'll try and get paint done. I need to do the grocery shopping, and try and squeeze a ride in tomorrow before we shut things down and hide before the kid invasion begins. Be the first Halloween in ages it hasn't rained, and the folks have really not wanted to deal with the amount of kids anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
...and your garage is nice and clean too Dan. 👍 👍

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,079 ·
This is my final post to this thread. It's been a great 6 year run. Hope you find some of the info as beneficial. Good luck and take care.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,080 ·
Honestly couldn't let this thread die..

So water pump saga. Went into the dealer last week and they did a pressure test at 1 Bar pressure and it held, so they upped the test to 2 Bar and left it overnight. And luckily no leak. Info have an oil leak from somewhere above the pump, but it's all dry topside, so something I have to keep track of.

Brake flushes are important guys. I pushed 3 years this time and apparently it was pretty nasty. And after my brakes feel so much firmer.

New feature added. With big thanks to N4S he cracked the code and found it is possible bro have HHC Hill Hold, Anti roll back whatever you want to call it. A bit of coding changes and boom I now have something those that have followed along 6 years ago we messed with and figured it wasn't possible. Now I can be off road on a steep incline with Auto Hold Off, I can transition from brake to throttle and the brakes will hold from 2-5 seconds depending on adaption settings. It will not appear in the drop downs. You have to know the channel and adjust from Normal, (3 seconds) early (approx 1.5 seconds) or Late 4.5 seconds when it will release. You can still roll back after it releases and it WILL stall the engine. It also works if you are pointing downhill and trying to back up.

Update on Off Road. Again with the new ABS coding we added +512 and it opened up channel 23 in Adaptations for the first time! I can see the 6km cutoff for downhill Assist. And changing the Bit in the BCM. Sadly still no love for me getting Off Road functional. I am going to triple triple check I have it pinned to the BCM correctly and if it is, we are moving back to a ECU trigger source. Now with it opened up we have proved the ABS unit supports it. We either have a ECU Block or a BCM Block.

I have a Highline BCM out of a Canadian 2011 mk1 fully loaded that does have the pins on the board. I may open it up and trace out making sure something as simple as a connection on the board is needed. So hopefully we can make it work and I should be the only NAR Tiguan with Off Road.

Tail Light Saga. Back in October I made the decision to pull the trigger on a set of Hella LED Tails from AliExpress. Around Nov 15 they entered the Netherlands, and about Christmas they left Netherlands never to be seen again. AliExpress thankfully refunded me my money in full, saying if I eventually get them I don't have to pay or return. I figure someone in the NL knew what they were and scanned the barcode saying they shipped out right into their trunk. Lol!!

Suspension stuff.
Still haven't Installed the new LCA Bushings or the new End Links. I was told the S3 ones that are more solid fit the Tiguan.. nope no dice. So I have a set of Powerflex Bushings to press onto my existing. Sold the S3 ones to a friend for his R32 that as soon as he installed the sold. Lol. Reminds me he still owes me for them. Also remember to purchase new bolts as they are TTY, I only reinstalled my existing to get me to when I can do the Powerflex. They are not cheap ($50) but they are one time use. Also blast VW how they installed the fronts, you have to cut the bolt out as you go, but it can be installed on reverse going back in.

I have decided due to the overwhelming messages and emails to be here for a while. Not spending as much time on here as my schedule is slammed. I hardly have enough broke for myself lately so I'll be on here and there. If you need me message me and I'll log in.

Again many thanks. Lots planned for this spring if I have time. I still have my retrofit headlights to rebuild and install.

1061 - 1080 of 1097 Posts