VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dsg 2014 tiguan. Can't get the car to start up. I'm guessing its something todo with the break lights not coming on. It was fine yesterday. I've checked all the fuses and there fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
You're not giving much in the way of symptoms, or why you link it to the brake lights. Is the battery fully charged, does it even turn over? Any warning lights on the dash?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not giving much in the way of symptoms, or why you link it to the brake lights. Is the battery fully charged, does it even turn over? Any warning lights on the dash?

The car ignition lights come on i go to turn the car over but it doesn't attempt to start. Its an auto it says press the break to start.. the break lights don't come on when I press the break. With it being an auto I'm guessing it needs a signal from the breaks to engage the starter.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Yes it needs the brake pedal pressed hard, but your symptoms sound more like a flat battery. VW electronics don't like low voltage and will disable functions to try and conserve the battery. Also, the brake switch doesn't directly turn the lights on, it tells the BCM (body control module) the pedal is pressed and this tells the rear light module to turn on the light (incidentally, the rear brake lights unlike most cars with dual filament, one for stop and one for side, the Tig has a single 21 watt filament, that is turned on by pulse modulating to provide the two levels if brightness )

Get your battery checked first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it needs the brake pedal pressed hard, but your symptoms sound more like a flat battery. VW electronics don't like low voltage and will disable functions to try and conserve the battery. Also, the brake switch doesn't directly turn the lights on, it tells the BCM (body control module) the pedal is pressed and this tells the rear light module to turn on the light (incidentally, the rear brake lights unlike most cars with dual filament, one for stop and one for side, the Tig has a single 21 watt filament, that is turned on by pulse modulating to provide the two levels if brightness )

Get your battery checked first.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. All the lights come on very bright literally everything work radio, heater, ac, power steering. But il check the battery soon an report back. Thankyou

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. All the lights come on very bright literally everything work radio, heater, ac, power steering. But il check the battery soon an report back. Thankyou

Also the break switch/ sensor. Is there only one underneath the break servo or is there also one on the pedal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With headlights on, try starting the car. Does the headlight stop burning or go very dim?
Hi pal. No not the slightest bit. The car doesn't even attempt to start as there is no break lights. I've charged the battery an it sits at 12.4v but strangely today its had a warning on the screen saying battery charge low. So it looks like I'm going to buy a new battery an see what happens. I've got a new break switch on the way. Its strange as I have no break lights not even the 3rd one. Does anyone know of there is a switch on the pedal itself or just the one on the break servo. Its a 2014 dsg with 88k.

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
338 Posts
Sounds like a brake light switch. Brake lights are supposed work on a car even without keys in ignition. The fact yours aren't coming on at all points to thats where the problem is. im not sure if theres a switch under the brake pedal, or built into the pedal itself.

Could be item 25, but id scan with VCDS to look for faults.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I have to disagree that brake lights have a permanent live feed. Every car I know they only come on with live ignition, but as I say with the VW's (and probably other modern canbus vehicles) there's the degree of separation between the switch and the lights, with no direct wiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a brake light switch. Brake lights are supposed work on a car even without keys in ignition. The fact yours aren't coming on at all points to thats where the problem is. im not sure if theres a switch under the brake pedal, or built into the pedal itself.

Could be item 25, but id scan with VCDS to look for faults.
Mine is the dsg the break switch it on the break.servo underneath i belive. Isit possible for you to get a diagram like you have above for the dsg 2014. That may show me of its got a break switch under the pedal to. Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to disagree that brake lights have a permanent live feed. Every car I know they only come on with live ignition, but as I say with the VW's (and probably other modern canbus vehicles) there's the degree of separation between the switch and the lights, with no direct wiring.
Got a diagnostic man coming out Monday to scan the car. Its coming up on a scanner I have ecm lost communication with pcm.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I always thought it was a safety feature that they worked without ignition, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts