VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tiguan is 2011, 40k miles. Looks like it’s time to replace my factory shocks as the ride quality is not the same as before. I have a few questions to begin with.

1) Is it better to change my springs at the same time? I jacked up the car and checked the springs. All 4 springs are visually in good conditions. No breaking, the protective paint is all intact, no rust points. Just wonder if springs also degrade with age or do they last longer than shocks.

2) Where can I find the springs with exact color coding as my factory set? I’ve heard that if I don’t find the springs with exact rating, the ride quality will be sacrificed. My rear springs have (1 white, 1 lilac, 3 yellow dots). But the closest I could find on one source was (1 white, 1 lilac, 2 yellow dots) spring. Will it make a difference?

3) Also I am torn between choosing the Mono tube vs Twin tube shocks. My car factory shocks are Twin tube. But I’ve heard that Mono tube shocks have better performance. But how about the ride comfort? The road condition in my area is quite bad with many bump stops and pot holes. I also do occasional off-road travel for tourists. If the ride comfort is on the same level, I wouldn’t mind on the price difference.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and guiding.

·
Administrator
3,342 Posts
If it were me I'd avoid OEM. As for the older generations they are almost impossible to find the correct spring rate. Unless you tow and just want a quality ride I'd be looking at an H&R Cup Kit it will lower you just a little bit but the rose will be vastly improved. Other options is find what's available now via Parts.VW portal and use a set of Koni Advanced. Used to be called the FSD and they have the automatic valving to adjust to terrain and roads. Do not use the Koni with lowering springs. If you weren't half a world away I'd ship you my old rear springs I believe are the same for patten when I put my lift springs on. I'm also upgrading to Bilstein Shocks as they are designed for slightly lowered to slightly lifted applications. It all boils down to what's available in your country. What's available to me may not be to you. But see if there is a parts.vw site for your country and that gets you into the dealer portal and parts breakdown. It will say the color dots for the springs. If you don't find them for your model out the same year in but use a Passat or Golf Variant for the model. When I e of my springs broke I had to use Passat to find the color code but just opted for the H&R Lifting Springs. As they were cheaper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I searched on parts.vw portal following your advice and found matching springs, but they are more expensive ($170 each) than other brands, plus I have to pay expensive shipping. H&R Lifting Springs looks like a good option. What do you think of the quality of these springs? Are you satisfied, or is there something noticeable?
Edit: I also heard that lifting springs can have negative effects on other parts such as sway bar and end links, and could shift the wheel off center. Is that true? Would H&R lift spring and Bilstein B6 make good match? I want to keep the original spring specs but there is a good bargain on H&R Lift Spring.
I will be investigating in Koni Active shocks as well.
Thank you for helping. It was an eye opener.

·
Administrator
3,342 Posts
I'm partial to H&R mostly because I am friends with the US General Manager. :rolleyes: lol. (no I don't get any deals) But they are a great product and what little they lift paired with the Bilstein Shocks will firm up the ride a bit and give you about an inch more clearance. Plus you have warranty thru H&R. H&R goes to great lengths to make sure they keep things within specs. If you do run into any issues it will be the rear sway bar but a simple set of adjustable end links is all that's needed but they are not necessary to do it. I will be replacing the rear sway bar with H&R, adjustable end links and a Adjustable Camber arm kit this winter mostly to help the bigger tires I'll be running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts