VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the High Beam can be adjusted independently, from the low / dip beam on Halogen Composite headlamps. 2012 Face lift Tiggy. my Passenger headlight was replaced with a new OEM unit, and the low beam is okay, but the high beam is up and far left. I need to also make sure the bulb is seated correctly, ran into that on a different rig, fought adjustment for an hour, to realize the bulb was slightly cocked..

I see the 2 adjusters with the black cap in them, which I assume is height adjust, but what about left to right? hopefully not fixed in position, like many cars today, I enjoy aiming my Right headlamp a bit more to the fog line and up a bit, and my high beams far enough on a stretch of road I drive that s about 3 miles long and flat my high beams light up the stop sign as soon as you hit the straightaway. but far lower then VWs notoriously high set squirrel hunter high beams. and I adjust the fog lights to the bottom cutoff of the low beams so when I activate high beams, with the fog lights on its daylight for miles, and dang near as bright as a set of Xenon Projector beams..

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
side to side adjustment will be plugged if such an adjustment is illegal in your country (it is in Canada). The vertical adjustment is for low beam only. there is no separate adjustment for high beam. For Halogen, the adjustment is pretty straight forward. For HIDs that have auto height adjustment, you need to use VCDS to get base point set before/after adjustment.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also, make sure the 'abroad' setting isn't on the wrong setting on the MFD. I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it adjust the drivers & passengers headlights according to which side of the road/country your in.

·
myTiguan Master
4,756 Posts
Also, make sure the 'abroad' setting isn't on the wrong setting on the MFD. I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it adjust the drivers & passengers headlights according to which side of the road/country your in.
AFAIK that only apply's to xenons.

Mick

·
Registered
371 Posts
Does it really mickjane2? Very odd, as the halogen headlights will be subject to the same 'offset' to eradicate glare for oncoming drivers. I do have xenons on my Tig, just assumed this would be a standard option, not a 'luxury' setting for xenon adopters lol!

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Yes, but the halogen housings are static and don't have any moving parts. the HIDs can move the bulbs side to side and have a shutter over the bulb to control beam pattern.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Halogens actually have a decent cutoff similar to the Xenons, but no moving parts, I double checked the bulbs, and one was a bit cockeyed in the socket, I haven't been able to drive at night to see if it helped or hurt. After buying the Tiguan, we found it had a minor mishap at the Auction yard where the headlight was replaced after it got back into. Repaired by a VW Master body shop at VW in California. I found the low/dip beam adjust and like mentioned the sided to side was just plugged with a rubber cap. and just have to align the marks in the beam cutoff.. I will be doing a full DIY and post it up when it stops snowing and its above freezing over here, but for now, it should get me around..

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
We look forward to your DIY. Always nice if it has pics. :roll:

What I have been doing for the past 1-1/2 to 2 years is locking the main DIY and setting another thread up with the same title with " - Feedback" tacked on the end. Also would include in each at the top a link for each so one can easily toggle back and forth between the two. When you do the original DIY, you can also set up the second one, or I can do it for you. You can find many examples in the thread "37 Various DIY's." Just let me know when you are going to post the "master" DIY so I can lock it before anyone posts into it. The idea is to keep the "master" DIY clean and free of noise.

Cheers!

Old Dog

Reactions: IggytheTiggy

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Great Idea, one thing I dislike about the other forums is burying a DIY full of questions and complaints... Once this white stuff leaves us and it gets above freezing for a few days, Ill get it worked up and let you know..

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
:twoup: :twoup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know if the High Beam can be adjusted independently, from the low / dip beam on Halogen Composite headlamps. 2012 Face lift Tiggy. my Passenger headlight was replaced with a new OEM unit, and the low beam is okay, but the high beam is up and far left. I need to also make sure the bulb is seated correctly, ran into that on a different rig, fought adjustment for an hour, to realize the bulb was slightly cocked..

I see the 2 adjusters with the black cap in them, which I assume is height adjust, but what about left to right? hopefully not fixed in position, like many cars today, I enjoy aiming my Right headlamp a bit more to the fog line and up a bit, and my high beams far enough on a stretch of road I drive that s about 3 miles long and flat my high beams light up the stop sign as soon as you hit the straightaway. but far lower then VWs notoriously high set squirrel hunter high beams. and I adjust the fog lights to the bottom cutoff of the low beams so when I activate high beams, with the fog lights on its daylight for miles, and dang near as bright as a set of Xenon Projector beams..
Sorry to relive this old toppic, but is there a way to adjust high beam on a halogen headlight? MIne is a 2011 mk1 before facelift.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, they are covered by plugs in the back of the housing. It's a bit of work as they adjust a bit different than the low beams. Probably got the typical VW Squirrel Hunting high beams?

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are a bit tricky to find. They look permanent..

Right above the high beam access cover. Take a sharp pick and pop the cap off. Don't lose it. It seals the headlight.
Hand Tire Automotive tire Tread Finger

This one is right above the low beam cover. Same thing sharp tool to pop it out. Uses same 7mm Allen. This one also adjusts the low beam diagonally and up/Down so after adjusting this you will need to reset the low beam. For the most part the first adjustment is all that's needed. My high beams were crosseyed like Jim Bucemi. Lol.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Reflex camera

There is a 3rd hidden adjustment, but all it does is preset the height of the normal adjustment near the fender is maxed out.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. What year is your Tiguan?

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I don't know if they have the adjustment. Have to ask N4S or OnOff if they pop into the page. As they are fellow modders with the early Mk1.

• Sad
Reactions: godoyrafa
1 - 20 of 21 Posts