VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan R-Line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had my 2011 R-line on MOT.

Result: Too much wear or weakness on joint coupler. Rear 2. shaft. Bushing on hardy disk defect.

Pardon my french, translated from norwegian. :)

See attached picture for reference.

I do not have 10 thumbs and know my way around a spanner. Planning on replacing this myself. At least since garage quoted me nearly £1 000! :( for replacing it, parts and labour.

Thing is why I really like YT-videos of things I have not done before. But I could not find any. But I might be searching using the wrong phrase.

Any tip would be appreciated. :)

hardy disk.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try searcing for propshaft damper, propshaft coupling, propshaft flexi joint.

It should be fairly stright forward to replace. Make sure you fit the new one the correct way around.

Its one of those parts that looks like it could fit either way around, but has to be the correct way.

Also check the propshaft centre bearing is not worn, they fail quite often.

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan R-Line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks iangaryprice.

I see I might have expressed myself a bit clumsy.

I found some YT-videos in norvegian. So I know how it looks and have some idea on how to fix this.

I also know it is important it is mounted the right way.

Problem is I do not know if I have to lower the entire shaft and/or exhaust as this could require more labour and parts, eg exhaust clamps.

Found someone said you might or might not have to dismantle a whole bunch of stuff to get access to remove the coupler.

So a YT-video of someone replacing this on MKI Tiguan would be nive. :D

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan R-Line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Parts are purchased. Will replace next weekend. Wil try to update this thread with info regarding what is needed removed to get access.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I bought a complete new propshaft last autumn as I noticed my bearing had collapsed and although it cost a lot more this way, it was a bolt off/bolt on job.
It had served 12 years & 125k though, so it had done a good stint.

The cross member exhaust support had to come off to get the backbox off, as did the exhaust sleeve, which you should probably replace too, and give the bolts a wire brush & pre soak with some rustløs if you get a chance.

Lykke til

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan R-Line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to update.
Job done. But replaced front and back flex disk and the bearing in the middle. The later was REALLY bad.But was not found on MOT.

If I had to replace only the rear flex disk, it can be done quite easily. Remove bolt on both sides of the disk and also the mount for the middle bearing. Then the shaft will flex enough to remove the rear flex disk.
But since i replaced both disks and middle bearing. I dismountet both disks and middle bearing mount, exhaust mount and loosened exhaust rubbers. As @Skard said in his post.

I then marked the position on both part of the axle to avoid imbalance afterwards.
Had some fitting problems when joining the 2 axle parts afterwards. Had to position ball bearing cage quite excactly to slide the two parts together. Worked out good in the end..

This video was good help in the process.

·
Administrator
3,190 Posts
Funny my Cardan Shaft is covered by another layer of Shielding above the exhaust. I would have to fully drop the exhaust, remove one layer of the shield then access the Prop Shaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts