VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Tiguan 2 - Phase 2 (New 3000 KM) which makes an absolutely ridiculous noise and I was able to send it back to VW who "changed" the gearbox. Of course nothing has changed.

I would like to have your opinion on this noise. They tell me it' s a normal noise on the new Tiguan 2 - Phase 2 gearboxes. Really ? Aha

Do you have any idea ? Is it really normal?


 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Try and get some better videos without the wind noise. Keep taking it back to the dealer or drive another new Tiguan to see if the noise is there. Could be anything making that noise. If you cannot get satisfaction from dealer call VW Customer Care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's a metallic noise that is supposed to be "normal"... I've never seen a car make that kind of noise with 3000 KM. I went to customer service and they said they changed the transmission. I don't believe it at all.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Call VW Customer Care, not the dealers customer service.. or ask to drive a new model with tht same transmission. If it makes the noise then you have your answer. If it doesn't make the noise, stand firm and say fix it or buy it back for you entire purchase price and walk away. If they don't allow a tester to prove it's normal then find another local dealer.

But try this for me. Go out and do some brake stomps. Find a nice isolated road where you can get away with 100kph speeds. But start at 25kph and stomp on tbt brakes. Then 40, 60, 80 etc. Sometimes metallic dragging noise can be the brake pads rubbing on corrosion on the rotors. I usually after winter Dona few brake stomps that activate ABS to bust winders crust off the rotors and the glaze on the pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done that already and I know the noise is coming from the gearbox. I just want to know if someone is experiencing the same thing with the Tiguan 2021 - Phase 2.

I guess no one is having the same issue otherwise I would get answers.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Then I'd start with my recommendation above. Ask for a test drive to prove it's normal.. we just don't have many 2021s in the group yet. If it makes the noise then carry on, if not call customer care
 

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
Joined
·
196 Posts
I can hear the noise, but it sounds constant. Does the noise change as you increase revs?
 

·
myTiguan Master
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
I'm currently on my third Mk2 Tig, first a 2.0 TFSI DSG 4motion 2nd 2.0 TDI DSG 4motion and current 2.0 TDI DSG 2wd and all have been very quite transmission wise, so if you think yours is noisy keep onto the dealers or try another VW dealer for a second opinion IMHO.

Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can hear the noise, but it sounds constant. Does the noise change as you increase revs?
Hello,

Yes it's getting louder as I accelerate. It's pretty ridiculous and they told me it's normal, once again. I'll give back that shitty car. People are laughing at me on the street 😂.

Here are more videos of this joke after "replacing the gearbox".

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then I'd start with my recommendation above. Ask for a test drive to prove it's normal.. we just don't have many 2021s in the group yet. If it makes the noise then carry on, if not call customer care
I did a test drive with the same car and my is 3-4 times louder. They told me it's because my gearbox is older...but they changed it and my car is only 3000 KM. Very funny.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
I'd go to your next nearest dealer if possible. Even an Audi dealership. Sounds like the typical run around dealers are using today. No codes no problem when you know it's not right. And place a call to your countries VW Customer Care and complain. If anything force a buyback at full purchase price. I mead they did replace the gearbox? Not just say they did?? As the test drive showed yours is still louder because it's older? And it didn't change putting on a new gearbox? It's definitely not the gearbox then.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mike2020

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd go to your next nearest dealer if possible. Even an Audi dealership. Sounds like the typical run around dealers are using today. No codes no problem when you know it's not right. And place a call to your countries VW Customer Care and complain. If anything force a buyback at full purchase price. I mead they did replace the gearbox? Not just say they did?? As the test drive showed yours is still louder because it's older? And it didn't change putting on a new gearbox? It's definitely not the gearbox then.
Yes they changed it. I mean that's what they said, send it back to Germany and got a new one. That's why I don't believe them, it's so loud and sounds so bad...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
So I would definitely contact customer care. Explain the situation. And they should have full record whether it was truly changed. If not say you are not happy with the Tiguan and wish to return it. Then I bet they will jump all over making it right. Just assert yourself that you are not happy at all with the noise and drivability.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I would definitely contact customer care. Explain the situation. And they should have full record whether it was truly changed. Of not say you are not happy with the Tiguan and wish to return it. Then I bet they will jump all over making it right. Just assert yourself that you are not happy at all with the noise and drivability.
Well, the big problem I have is that the "D'Ieteren" center own the whole import in Belgium, so I only can contact them. I'm asking the leasing guy to know what I can do.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
If it's a lease then it should be even easier to return it. You know it's not right and you are not happy with it. Good luck with the leasing agent. Sorry they are putting you thru all this. I had to argue with VW to assist in replacing the water pump out of warranty on mine as it was a know fault. They said only the GTIs were effected. I laugh and said yes and the Tiguan shares the same motor.... Finally got them to pay for 75% of it and now I'm in the lawsuit to get the other 25% back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it's a lease then it should be even easier to return it. You know it's not right and you are not happy with it. Good luck with the leasing agent. Sorry they are putting you thru all this. I had to argue with VW to assist in replacing the water pump out of warranty on mine as it was a know fault. They said only the GTIs were effected. I laugh and said yes and the Tiguan shares the same motor.... Finally got them to pay for 75% of it and now I'm in the lawsuit to get the other 25% back.
Damn that's crazy. They just don't care. Good luck with the lawsuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
hello, i have a Tiguan mk2 from April. from the very first day i heard de same noises, and it appears to come from the gear box, i reported from the first day the metallic sound and also the noise from gear change, i never heard something like this, its like a new car with an old and a life ending gear box., i suffer the same as loicsuperlus, someone is laughing from us. noisy new car.

only 3 months old and 3500km.

in the dealership they changed the gear box and the problem is the same. they were surprised with the resolution of the problem. a Vw letter that say "its not a problem, its DESIGN" and the noise will not be resolved with gearbox change.

i wrote to the portuguese importer reclaiming the noise. they say "its a characteristic noise".

So, we have a noisy design and a characteristic noise. i never heard something like that.
this week, i am trying to contact Wolfsburg factory quality department to see what they have to say about the noisy characteristic and design.

the dealership commercial forgot to say this amazing quality on my tiguan.

its like a square wheel "DESIGN" and a life ending Gearbox "CHARACTERISTIC".
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top