VW Tiguan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, 2.0tdi 2012, cffb engine, this can be quick or not....f14 fuse, near right knee fuse box, spec shows 10A, mine from factory is 5A, and has blown, no day lights no start...what do I replace with 5 or 10A?

·
Administrator
3,103 Posts
If it says 10amo and you are 100 percent sure it's correct try a 10 amp and see what happens. If it blows the 10 amp you have a dead short somewhere DO NOT keep putting fuses in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fab thanks, got home went to start nothing no day lights, everything else works, thought it was ignition switch, so went and checked fuses, spec for f14 says 10A, had car from new..but various images on interwebs of Tiguan fuse box show both 5 and 10. Will stick 5 back in but need to know why it failed.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would go woth 5 amp, to be safe. If it s dash lights they are usually 1.2w each 10 of them will only draw 1 amp so 5amp fuse is plenty.

As said above if another fuse blows find the fault, sometimes its a blown bulb that causes it. Unfortunately its usally a lot of work to get at dash lights.

Is it the dash lights fuse or Day lights. Even DRLs are only 15w each so a little over 2amp for both. again 5 amp fuse is plently.

I keep getting warning on dash that my Daylights (DRL) have failed..

They have never actually failed. Warning goes out after a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really odd, came home put car into reverse, it then stopped, as in engine cut out, no dash lights, MFD just showed mileage. All other electrics fine, turn key, nothing, fuel pump working, starter not working dead. Thought it was ignition key barrel. Checked fuses found F14 blown, but don't know why, put fuse back in all dash instruments back on????, But as I say need to find out why, seems to have no relation to anything...

·
Administrator
3,103 Posts
X2 on Skard's reply that earth strap is notorious to cause many issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All, again, cleaned all earth's replaced f14 fuse with 5A, car starts but with a few mins blows F14 again ..anyone have a wiring diagram to show what f14 controls

·
Registered
144 Posts
I expect you are going to need a fault code reader as well. Checking the fault code history might point to where the problem lies.

Dueot the fuse blowing it may not show up the faults on the dash, but a code reader should be ableot see any faults that have occured.

When you said dashlights I thought you meant the back illumination lights, didn't realise you meant all the warning/information lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok order one up to have a look, tried phoning garage to plug it in but most have weeks backlog and I can't get it there anyway.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
From Trickies link

F14 (10A)
ABS control module, engine control module (ECM), heated seats, power steering control module, suspension
control module, trailer control module, AC control module, instrumentation control module, CAN data bus
gateway control module

Thats a lot running off F14

You will probably have to eliminate them one at a time.

i.e. If you dont have a towbar its not "trailer control module"

If you havn't got electronic suspension, you can eliminate that.

Is not going to be easy with out fault codes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm thought not, thank, eliminated the normal trailer, electronic suspension, but have all the others...as you say a lot left, instrumentation control module is going to be the worst, as without this working I don't know if it is working...as it's need to be on to start.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hello All, again, cleaned all earth's replaced f14 fuse with 5A, car starts but with a few mins blows F14 again ..anyone have a wiring diagram to show what f14 controls
Just to double check with you, did you end to end inspect the gearbox to chassis earth cable? When my earth went bad on the Tig, there was a slice in the sheath that had allowed water ingress and for the strands to rot, it wasn't so obvious at first glance and both lugs were fine.

Have you no access to VCDS to scan the car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cable is new, I even made up a new cable that connects to a lug on the gearbox directly to the neg terminal,will get access to vcds on Monday and will scan the canbus gateway. Bit bizarre that F14 at just 5A controls so many critical modules...

·
Administrator
3,103 Posts
Remember the BCM actually controls it and has its own independent lock out it can do. The 5a is simply a protection in case the BCM lockout has a failure

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello,
can bus, water in it, new canbus and coded. Now starts idles, but if you decide to move off, blows F14.
Disconnect ABs electronics, drives......
What the hell is going on....................?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts