VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im a new member. I have a brand new Tiguan. Engine 2.0 TSI ( NOT DIESEL)

My concern is that everytime that I stopped the car the cooling fans keep running for about 2-5 minutes.
I know that is normal that the fans work on the cars. BUT I am concerned because this happen ALWAYS, after shutting down the engine. I mean I am worried about the frecuency ( always) of this event.

Does anyone have had the same issue ? Is this normal ?

Thanks Rodolfo

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Hi Im a new member. I have a brand new Tiguan. Engine 2.0 TSI ( NOT DIESEL)

My concern is that everytime that I stopped the car the cooling fans keep running for about 2-5 minutes.
I know that is normal that the fans work on the cars. BUT I am concerned because this happen ALWAYS, after shutting down the engine. I mean I am worried about the frecuency ( always) of this event.

Does anyone have had the same issue ? Is this normal ?

Thanks Rodolfo
to the forum rodo and thanks for joining myTiguan. I don't know where you are located in the world, but on hots days it is normal for the fan to stay on for a few minutes to cool off the turbo. It will do so each and every time in hot temps. Which brings me to an IMPORTANT notice you should read here: http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/4616-important-notice-info-required-in-your-signature/

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to the forum rodo and thanks for joining myTiguan. I don't know where you are located in the world, but on hots days it is normal for the fan to stay on for a few minutes to cool off the turbo. It will do so each and every time in hot temps. Which brings me to an IMPORTANT notice you should read here: http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/4616-important-notice-info-required-in-your-signature/

Cheers
Im from Argentina. Regarding my question, its not related with the weather & driving conditions. The fans keep running for a couple of minutes every time that I shutdown the engine. Of course this process is after the car arrives to working temperature ( 90 degrees C).
As I said I concerned about the frecuency ( always) as of this issue. Its not a TDI engine. I have a 2.0 TSI. Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's perfectly normal with a turbo-charged engine (diesel OR petrol) to help dissipate the extra heat developed in the turbo.

I would be MUCH more concerned if it DIDN'T do it !!!

Cheers
Thanks for your prompt response. But I also have a Passat CC with the same engine ( 2.0TSI) and I dont see the same behaivour. Why is the reason for this ? In the Passat the fans keep running once in a while, but NOT always as is in the Tiguan.
Sorry that I keep asking but I would like to understand what is going on with the Tiguan.... In the dealer svc the told me that is "normal" but they can not answer why is that ? Also why in differents compare with the Passat ?

Best Regards Rodolfo.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It is probably because your Tiguan is new and the engine is still tight so generating more heat. Once you get a few thousand KMs on it will loosen up and not generate so much heat. Some engines run hotter than others when new, it depends on how the tolerances stack up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... I understand that I do not have to compare with the Passat CC even with the same engine.

BUT does anyone has the same "issue" that I described in my original question ? I spent a lot money in this Tiguan and I really concerned.
Hope you can undestand my feelings about this.
Thanks ! Rodolfo

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't worry. I've done 70000+km in my Tiguan and the fan almost always stayed on after switching off the engine. I live in equatorial climate btw.

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
Rodo, have you noticed that there are two similar threads going on here on the same topic. If you read the other one, with the exact same question it will have the same response. I also put some troubleshooting tips in the other one. If you had read the other thread, you would have already put your concerns to rest.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not noticed this om my Tiguan but it happened on both Audi A3's and two golfs I have had. Fan would run for a few minutes after engine was switched off on occasions. I think, in one of the handbooks, it said this could happen in certain conditions. All my cars had the 2.0Tdi engines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shawn I had read many things before writing my concerns here. I do understand why this happen on the Diesel Engine. I read about the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter).... But I have a 2.0 TSI ( 211CV - Petrol) and still could not find a "logical" reason/answer for this behaivour on my Tiguan.

I really appreciate everyone comments on this topics. Its really important for me. Regards!

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
Rodo, I too have the 2.0 TSI gas engine, and my comments in the other thread ave valid for all VW engines. Follow the test I described in the other thread. This is the very same test we do in my shop before we diagnose further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Shawn. If you mean the recomendation that you posted under " Cooling Fan... ". Yes I did it. And BOTH fans work fine.
Remember, my concern is that both fans keep running ALWAYS after the engine is switched off. I know that is NORMAL under certain cir*ances BUT not always... I really need to understand why is that and of course if there is anything wrong with my Tiguan...

Again, thank you for your response. I really apreciate that. Regards ! Rodo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Just to make sure everything is ok, run the car until it is warm and open the hood and watch (with engine running)the fans. Both should come on. Also try with the AC on. If only 1 fan comes on and runs like it is ready to take off, it means the other fan is dead and needs to be replaced.

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
What is the temperature outside where you live?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
About 20 degree Celsius. Nice weather down here.
But the "cooling fans" seem to be not worried about the outside temperature...

Also Shwan, I have to tell you that I was another victim of the "pitch sound" coming from the engine. The Service Dealer already replaced two water pumps. After that the sound has gone. But today the sound came back. I read the other topíc about this sound...I want to burn my Tiguan.... I have less than 3000 Km. ( Tree Thousands. It is NOTHING). I want to demand VW.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
About 20 degree Celsius. Nice weather down here.
But the "cooling fans" seem to be not worried about the outside temperature...

Also Shwan, I have to tell you that I was another victim of the "pitch sound" coming from the engine. The Service Dealer already replaced two water pumps. After that the sound has gone. But today the sound came back. I read the other topíc about this sound...I want to burn my Tiguan.... I have less than 3000 Km. ( Tree Thousands. It is NOTHING). I want to demand VW.

Thanks,
have you figure out this problem?

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
have you figure out this problem?
Antonio has not been on in 6 years so I doubt very much you will hear from him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you for message. how can i reach to him? i have same problem with mytiguan. fan working after stopping. maybe he solved the problem and help me also..

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Probably would never get an answer. But I'll say this the fans stay on after you shut the key off for as much as 5-10 mins depends on outside air temp. You have a small electric water pump called and after cooler. It runs after you shut it off and if you have had the AC on as well the fans will usually drop to 20-30% and run till coolant temp drops below 185F/ 85c If they continue to run past that the best next step is to get a full vcds scan ad it may have a code stored that won't trigger a light. It could also be a bad or stuck relay in the fuse box. How about you start a new thread with all the information you have so far as this thread is pretty old and a lot of members no longer here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts