VW Tiguan Forum banner

European Bumpers on North American Model?

7K views 25 replies 3 participants last post by  Deaney 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Happy New Year Guys,

I'm over in the UK for a few months, the Tiguan is in Canada, we never got the option to have front & rear sensors on our model, I really miss them from other cars.

I've seen a few posts online of NA cars fitting (what looks to be a replica?) EU front bumper.... the posts are all 2014 dated and talk about issues sourcing R-Line trim and moldings.

- - The reason I'm asking is the positioning of the sensors on the bumper, the EU Front is a different shape, its non-sloped down in the middle and then the rear has the sensors installed in the lower valance. Factory flush fit will ALWAYS beat out aftermarket.

I can source some R-Line (our model is an R-Line) Front and Rear bumpers for reasonable prices here in the UK, with the parking sensors present and installed.

I can ship them back to Canada at a cost, but was wondering if I might run in to trouble with RHD vs LHD or anything?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:: TO ADD, the only purpose of this exercise is to add the parking sensors, front & rear to our model, I'd rather not ship bumpers half way across the globe. So if anyone has done this to the NA Bumpers or if they did in fact from with sensors? let me know. I'd love to retrofit.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can install the sensors on the NA off road front bumper and the rear standard non r line as well. They are actually marked with squares on the back side of the bumper. As far as going to 12k for PLA with the outside corner sensor that is on the front where we have the side marker you can set the sensor just below or above the side marker. Stay tuned this will be something ill be doing real soon to my Tiguan. Get the 0K to 12k PLA 2.0 for about $300 from AliExpress. They want $700 from Carsystems.pl which I feel is beyond silly when they cannot prove to me that they aren't just buying the Chinese parts and drastically marking them up.

Reactions: Deaney
#3 ·
Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I’m also looking into this. Planning on installing front and rear on my 17 Tiguan, but it has the Discover Media head unit and haven’t seen any options for 12k kits(just 8k). CarSystems has an 8k kit for Tiguans with the Composition/Discover media head units; no 12k. I have been thinking about swapping to the R-Line euro front bumper so would be interested to see what pricing is for that. I haven’t seen any bumpers that already have the holes and sensors installed or even just the holes in the front bumper so very interested in that.

#4 ·
The holes are easily made using a special punch tool found on AliExpress for around $30. You can drill with a step bit, but I highly recommend busing the punch for consistent hole size and fot and less chance of paint damage. Ive punched a few bumpers and trust me the toolakes it simple. I don't know if the MQB bumpers are premarked, but the older Mk1 and 1.5 all have squares on tbe inside of the bumper noting where the sensors are placed.

As far as sources my R Line conversion parts, just keep searching, ECS Tuning and other sites may be selling unfinished parts, but be prepared to pay a premium. Or keepmyoirbeyes open on tbe various Wrecking yard database sites that you can search for a part and it will find it on any wrexkomg yard across the US and the globe. I used this method to get my hands on all the suspension parts for my GTD conversion from the UK. All the GTI body work was sourced from a local Part Puller but car was sold before the conversion was finished. All I would of needed to was paint the red accents blue and install the GTD badging.

#5 ·
You can install the sensors on the NA off road front bumper and the rear standard non r line as well. They are actually marked with squares on the back side of the bumper. As far as going to 12k for PLA with the outside corner sensor that is on the front where we have the side marker you can set the sensor just below or above the side marker. Stay tuned this will be something ill be doing real soon to my Tiguan. Get the 0K to 12k PLA 2.0 for about $300 from AliExpress. They want $700 from Carsystems.pl which I feel is beyond silly when they cannot prove to me that they aren't just buying the Chinese parts and drastically marking them up.
Iggy did you end up fitting the sensors in the end? - do you have a link to the hole cutter you mentioned? I'm back in Canada now, no bumpers in hand, so will perform the same as you, adding the 12k (or 8k if blindspot/self park is too much hassle) to the NA bumpers.

#6 ·
US $28.20 6%OFF | Parking Sensors Hole Tools FOR ALL CARS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0KT67p

I haven't yet but still plan to. Life's just been hectic and I've got something but my sleeve for the Tiguan taking priority. Thinking of going full K04 and got my hands on a DQ500 from the UK. :) 350 hp? Hehehe

#8 ·
Canadian friend imported it in for a client for a swap, but with the border still closed I might not be able to obtain it or afford it once it opens. Lol. I was thinking it as well as if I go full potato and K04 the tiptronic bwint hold the HP.

#9 ·
Hey Iggy, do you have a link to the sensors you brought?

FOR VW Tiguan 5N 8K 8 ops Park Pilot Front and Rear 8 Sensor Support OPS

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867498620.html

I wanted to get those, but the seller said "this will not work" after receiving the pictures of my head unit.

Device Part Number: 5C0035684
Hardware: H22
Software: 0245

We have the Fender sound system, R-Line spec unit with Navigation and a reverse camera installed from Factory. Wondering what the issue might have been?

(Another question, can we have both the camera an OPS display at the same time? I've seen some implementations where the screen is split).

Thanks again for all your help so far!

#10 ·
US $266.00 5%OFF | Front & Rear Parking & Park Assist PLA 2.0 OPS Parking UPGRADE KIT 0K TO 12K For VW Tiguan 5N 3AA 919 475 M/S
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMaOoyX

Yes with the RNS unit and I believe Disco you will have the ops overlay on the backup camera. There will be a tab on the left side of the screen to open it like the right side to adjust the camera settings and the camera modes.

#11 ·
I have a questions about that. The NA 2016-2017 Tiguans have Composition or Discover media head units. From what I see on CarSystems, it says you need a new module to allow for this that doesn't come in the kits you regularly see. On their site, you don't even see a 12k option for 2016/17 vehicles, just 8k. Makes me wonder if 12k is even possible with that new module. I'll throw in the link below just as a reference.

Composition/Discover Media module - 1K8919472A / 1K8919472B
https://www.carsystems.eu/pdc-module-front-rear-with-ops-1k8919472a-1k8919472b,id2422.html

8k F&R OPS
https://www.carsystems.eu/new-2015-vw-tiguan-park-pilot-front-and-rear-w-ops,id2105.html

#12 ·
Interesting. Most likely due to the hybrid canbus system. I've seen Disco show both but since we never got 8k here only 4k it's a good question for the euro members. Maybe provide a vcds scan of modules.

#13 ·
And found this as well. Listed as an MIB retrofit so if you swap your old head unit out for new Discovery/composition, the kit will allow old sensors to be used with new head unit. Which might be all we need, but still don't know if we can use with 12 sensors as it just lists 8 in combo with new module(on their site).

https://www.carsystems.eu/mib-retrofit-pdc-module-connectors-set,id2988.html

#14 ·
Any ideas what we'll miss with the 8 sensors VS the 12? the side blind spot areas right? - I would happily drop down to the 8K just to get the front and rear installed.

Do we know anyone in NA who's fitted the 12k? I don't mind being the pioneer/guinea pig once the snow melts and they arrive. With your support I think we can get there.

Just don't want to hack up my bumper if all the software wont work with it.

#15 ·
I messaged the seller on Alibaba with my pictures of my head unit.

He informs me that NO, the kit will not function without an upgrade of a few components... these are required:

1K8919475B PQ MIB 2 PDC PLA PARKING Module 1K8 919 475 B
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001326209844.html

FOR VW PQ CAR INSTALL MQB PDC Parking OPS System adapter Wire cable Harness for upgrade older PDC module to 1K8 / RNS to MIB

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959958499.html

@Bumr - you were on to something with this one.

#17 ·
Not too sure on this, I don't know how much trust to put into these Alibaba sellers. But I have asked him to confirm if the kit he is recommending will work with 12K PLA, or if its better to drop back down to 8K PDC. I'll let you know his feedback.

#19 ·
I'm back in Toronto now, I'm from the UK, have my family over there, I usually go back and visit at least once a year.
Due to Iggy's advice (holes already present within the NA Bumper) I didn't keep exploring. Our bumpers are mint condition, the ones I was finding in the UK had deep scratches of scuffs throughout, usually at least one single crack. Plus with COVID/Lockdowns I didn't have a chance to go out exploring breakers to source and remove my own.

I have some information from my friend on Alibaba, his auction includes module 3AA919475S, this is the controller with his parking kit. He tells me this will NOT work with my model of Tiguan, instead 1K8919475B is the module that works with mine.

I've had to buy all three parts now, 1K8919475B module, 1K8 > MIB Wiring Harness / Converter, and Iggy's link to the 3AA919475S Parking Sensors Kit (note, the included 3AA919475S controller will not work). Grand total of $507.68 CAD

I will surely make a guide to help you guys out when fitting! - I live in a Condo downtown, so its hard for me to find space to strip bumpers etc, they have strict rules here about doing car work in the parking spaces here. I expect to start wiring upon arrival of the gear, bumpers and ABS sensors may need to wait until the snow melts? mid-april.

Cheers

#20 ·
Darn, yeah COVID is killing everything and needs to go away. I'll just have to order it thru ECS I suppose because I do still want it.

Do you or anyone else happen to know why the rear sensors aren't the flush kind like the front? I was kind of wondering if I could use a second set of front sensors for the rear to make it look cleaner. The ones in the kit seem to be older style sensors that stick out(I have some on my 2011 RAV4). If not, it's OK and I'll deal with it, but just curious.

#21 ·
Rears are wider angle and can sense further out than the fronts why they sit a bit further out

#23 ·
I think they also do it since for bus it's in the black plastic lower part. I'm sure you can use the front sensors a bit higher in the painted part. But have to verify the connectors are the same. Why again the R Line Bumper is nice as more painted area to hide things. Lol

#24 ·
Yeah I’ve got the R Line rear bumper so I would like to keep it nice and clean. If anyone can verify the connectors are the same that would be great. Might have to wait a few weeks until Blakes receives his hardware. I need to go ahead and place my order for the R Line front bumper as it says August is the expected ship date... might have to take a trip to Ohio to pick it up because $600 for shipping everything is steep. Anyone know if the aftermarket R bumper is any good? The bumper along actually isn’t that costly it’s everything else you have to buy with it so that question could be moot. Would I pay 200 for a replica as opposed to 400 for a genuine... hmmmm

#25 ·
Trying to not drift this off into a thread about R Line bumpers either, but when I do the sensors I want to switch the bumper so I am not ripping the bumper off twice. And to that fact, is there any work that requires the front bumper to be off that you recommend? I will be replacing the backup lights for bright LED I know that much... why you have to take the rear bumper off to replace backup lights is beyond me

#26 ·
Yeah I've got the R Line rear bumper so I would like to keep it nice and clean. If anyone can verify the connectors are the same that would be great. Might have to wait a few weeks until Blakes receives his hardware. I need to go ahead and place my order for the R Line front bumper as it says August is the expected ship date... might have to take a trip to Ohio to pick it up because $600 for shipping everything is steep. Anyone know if the aftermarket R bumper is any good? The bumper along actually isn't that costly it's everything else you have to buy with it so that question could be moot. Would I pay 200 for a replica as opposed to 400 for a genuine... hmmmm
Received the sensors today, the pins look the same on front VS rear. I'm think I'll have a bodyshop install the sensors as I was sent 2 x brown ones, and with our condo and living downtown I don't have the space to remove bumpers around here.

Wiring, fitting and programming will be on me. But the installation of the sensors will be done by them.

I'll start a new thread/guide as I now have my answer for this one sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.