VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took my tiguan for an overdue valet last Friday.

All good in terms of the clean but after picking up and a very short drive from the valet company my dash lit up with 'Parking Brake. Check owners manual!'.

The EPB itself seems to work when manually applied but the auto hold is no longer working.

From googling and reading this forum it doesn't seem to be an unusual issue but have seen lots of different causes.

I know one point of failure seems to be the switch itself. Given that the valet company will have been spraying cleaners/washing upholstery etc - does it seem likely that some water/chemical could have got into the switch?

Wondering if a new switch (£35) is a better first step than a diagnostic at VW (£79)...

Appreciate any thoughts :)

Steve

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mines exactly the same as you describe, in every aspect.

New switch worth a try but didn't work for me.

ECU seems to be the next step but I've stopped spending money on my tig.

This type of fault sums up everything I dislike about modern cars. What's wrong with a cable when you could have 2x actuators, 1 ecu, multiple tie ins to other systems etc which will probably fail and be horrifically expensive to fix.

Good luck.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,986 Posts
Without knowing what the DTC is, we are all just guessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
check VCDS map for a user close to u and run a diagnostic scan, will cost u less then VW diagnostic. Whereabouts in the UK you are?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - a kind friend loaned me his scanner this evening.

Two fault codes:

DTC 03216 & 03200.

Tried clearing both and only 03216 reoccured.

I believe both codes relate to the switch?

Without knowing what the DTC is, we are all just guessing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestion - I asked on Facebook and a kind friend has his own ODB + VAG handheld scanner which I've borrowed this evening.

check VCDS map for a user close to u and run a diagnostic scan, will cost u less then VW diagnostic. Whereabouts in the UK you are?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Q - I have the replacement EPB switch through in the post. Is it possible to remove the switch in some manner from this level of dismantled (and I'm missing a trick) or do I need to carry on and remove the whole centre console?

<edit by Shawng>, removed link because it locks up page

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A good scan would be like this

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 3AA-907-801.clb
Part No SW: 3AA 907 801 G HW: 3AA 907 801 G
Component: J540 EPB4 VW-64783 0009
Revision: H19 Serial number: 00000000442796
Coding: 0026167
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 3537DC0239499B4F921-8060

1 Fault Found:
03216 - Switch for Auto-Hold (E540)
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 13
Reset counter: 211
Mileage: 75414 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.02.03
Time: 13:37:19

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can change it in situ. Have a look at the retaining tabs on the new switch, you will then have a reference where you need to insert a trim removal tool or screwdriver to pop the switch out of the centre console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you :) will give it a go now.

You can change it in situ. Have a look at the retaining tabs on the new switch, you will then have a reference where you need to insert a trim removal tool or screwdriver to pop the switch out of the centre console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all. Switch replaced. Code cleared. Driven a few miles in city traffic and so far my auto hold and handbrake are both working well again and no lights on the dash.

Replacing the switch was not much fun admittedly mostly as there was no slack in the cable or space to get the connector out of the existing switch easily but fortunately my girlfriend has smaller hands.

thank you :) will give it a go now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well it turns out the light on the dash is not a deal breaker when it comes to annual inspections here.

So the car is signed legal again meaning I can re register and insure.

Had to get the tracking sorted to pass, but given I've replaced all the bushed and never retracted that Is to be expected.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts