VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard repeatedly that gen one, two, and three will work. Is there any information on this.

Gen 3 on write ups sound quite different what is require to make this work. Also considering buying totalled golf R (2012). Engine will this work.

I looking for anyone or site that could help me out.

Thanks

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,024 Posts
Hi bernieadam and welcome to our very friendly and knowledgeable forum. If anyone knows about this I'm sure you'll get some replies.

Tricky

P.S. I won't approve your duplicate request to avoid the topic being fragmented across multiple threads. If you want to add in the introductions section more about yourself, background, skills etc that would be fine.

·
myTiguan Master
4,719 Posts
bernieadam anything is possible as long as you have deep pockets, so if you're up to it a write up/how to would make very interesting reading.

Mick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally found an engine out of a 2017 tiguan with 104000 kms on it (Moose totalled the vehicle). Got the engine with the original wiring harness and it just swapped in nicely. DecRboned valve and had to replace a cracked intake manifold. Car is on the road now, and running ok not quite the power that I think it should have, have two codes 0299 and a MAF code. Replace DV valve, still seems to be running about the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve found out that code is a discrepancy code. Change the map sensor the sensor in the intake manifold. Was explained that I should pressurize the system and check for a leak. I went to the local hardware store and bought a larger plumbing plug. And hocked up a air hose and ran 8 psi into the system and found the leak. Great power now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I heard repeatedly that gen one, two, and three will work. Is there any information on this.

Gen 3 on write ups sound quite different what is require to make this work. Also considering buying totalled golf R (2012). Engine will this work.

I looking for anyone or site that could help me out.

Thanks
MK6 Golf R uses a EA113 engine (FSI-turbo), which while it fits, has the problematic cam follower that requires regular replacement.

The CCTA engine that came on your Tiguan is a Gen 1 EA888 motor. A Gen 2 EA888 (with Valvelift) was not made available in the US/Canada. Gen 3 EA888 that is available on the current Tiguan, the Horsepower junkies complain about the lower HP due to the Budak cycle (which is a miller cycle).

Getting the engines from a Gen 2 and Gen 3 to work is going to be tricky because of the ECU, if a Gen 2 ea888 was offered in Europe, then you'll have to source an ECU from there.

Likewise, whether a Golf R ECU works on the Tiguan, I dunno?

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
There was a Golf R/ DSG swap 2014 Tiguan running around my parts. He had a Tiguan and an R, wrecked the R, so the motor went in the Tiguan. To get things to play nice he had to use the Haldex controller off the R, and still had to make coding changes with the Rs ECU. He still had nothing but engine troubles with it. Rear mains, cam Follower etc. Tiguan is a lot heavier than the R and basically said stock R mapping was not any better than a Stg 1 tune on the EA888.1. He did tune the R and sadly blew it up. Another issue he faced was with the DSG swap the rear AWD box, needed changed to the Rs as well, he drove it nearly a month with the wrong gearing combo, as the Tiptronic trans was not compatible for some reason without modding. Custom mounts had to be made as well as the Rs motor sits higher in the engine bay and the DSG used a different mount. Engine side was fine. Be sourced parts off Passat 4 Motions, RS, Tiguans from the UK.

So it's far from Plug and Play. I just about bought his Tiguan when it blew the Motor, to rob all the SEL parts off of it but let's just say how he blew it up, landed it in impound. And him without a license for 5 years. Lol. Since it was a modified vehicle it was sadly crushed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So putting a 2015 Tiguan Engine in a 2011 Tiguan should not be to bad ???
I'm getting involved with this now . My 11 seized balancer shaft. Brought the 2015 today. What do I look out for.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
2015 should be a direct swap for us Yanks. Still a EA888.1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering how difficult it would be to swap a 2.0 out of a 2017 Jetta into my 2009 4motion? My engine is starting to act up and I don't want to sink much more into it, have a line on a wrecked 2017 with low mileage.

any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Should be the same motor. Just verify the engine sticker CCTA or CBTA (Cali model) 2017 Jetta still should be the EA888.1 (gen 1). Only the R and GTI got the later motor.

Reactions: Old Dog
1 - 13 of 13 Posts