VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
The other day I had a a gearbox warning light appear. I turned the ignition off and then on again and after which the car wouldn't move forwards or backwards. The AA man couldn't find any fault codes and consequently we needed a rescue truck to take the car to a garage. The front wheels are locked and appear to be stuck in park. DSG gear stick moves freely just doesn't engage the gears. The garage have also confirmed no fault codes can be found and they are absolutely lost for ideas.
Does anyone have an ideas as to what maybe the issue. Currently I have a car that's only done 50k miles sat at a garage with no fix date in sight

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
361 Posts
Needs VCDS plugging in and seeing what the ECU is showing when the gears are selected. Sounds like the gear selector isnt actually putting into gear in the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needs VCDS plugging in and seeing what the ECU is showing when the gears are selected. Sounds like the gear selector isnt actually putting into gear in the box.
I think the garage did thus with their diagnostic machine. At least I hope so assuming it's the same thing. If it's the same thing the guy said the computer reads the gears are being selected.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
It is a VW garage you've taken it to? sounds like a fault in the mechatronics the electro mechanical module attached to the gearbox that performs all the selecting and clutch operations.

Reactions: Boomtown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you started with basics to make sure the selector cable is still attached to gearbox and lever?

Curious, what year? Gas or TDI? 4motion or front wheel drive?
The garage said the gear selector is engaging. Apparently there is pressure readings also. It's just completely locked up in park it would appear.
Diesel engine.
Front wheel drive
55k Miles

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
Have you started with basics to make sure the selector cable is still attached to gearbox and lever?

Curious, what year? Gas or TDI? 4motion or front wheel drive?
FYI with DSG there's no cables, the selector is 'soft' i.e. It's just a switch. It's all done electronically.

Reactions: Boomtown

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
Mine has a cable.
Yours isn't DSG, The US doesn't get the DSG, they get regular TC boxes. The DSG is controlled by the mechatronic box mounted below it. It's totally computer controlled.

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
I installed a TDI/DSG in my Tig from a Jetta Sportwagen
You sure it was a DSG? Everything I've ever read on here the DSG wasn't marketed in the US. Certainly our DSG's are cable free.

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
Not my thread. Just trying to help. No need to be a jerk.
No jerk here, I’ve been on this forum constantly since 2008, owned 3 Tiguans and know more about them than most people BUT nobody knows anything about a car that somebody has built out of parts of other cars !!! Unfortunately they’re the only ones who know their vehicle full stop. If you were talking about another car then what are you doing in this conversation confusing the issue ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts