VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I own tiguan (DSG) for last 5 years in saudi arabia. It is more off road capable than many other cross overs in this category, specially on sand dunes. I have never used it in mud or rocks.

One small draw back is its low ground clearance. I fitted mine with 215/70 R16 tires to get little bit of push up here. The original is 215/65 R16. There is still possibility of using R215/75 R16 tires. But I will double check it for any rubbing issues at extreme steering angles at my next tire change.

I was considering using spacers but so far never felt the need of it in dune bashing. Lower pressure (18-20 psi) and momentum are good enough to get out of sticky situations.

Here is the video my daughter has posted.

· Registered
136 Posts
Awesome to have dunes like that in your back yard!

We're quite fortunate to have a number of coastal dune roads and bush close by and manage to get out there probably once a month. Everyone is always amazed at just how far I get with the Tig, putting a lot of proper 4x4s to shame. The only place the Tig struggles, where a more traditional 4x4 is fine, is when in cross-axle situations with a wheel or two off the ground. The ESP system works, but only up to a point, after which a diff-lock is the only way. Most of the friends I go out with have 4x4 utes (we call them bakkies, like a Toyota Hilux etc) and on flat sand (although deep), they can't compare how easy the Tig makes it look!

Ground clearance was always my biggest problem, often ending up with the belly of the Tig hung up on the sand, so lifting made the biggest difference. Also meant I could put nice big All Terrain tires on!

Reactions: Niket

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion what makes Tiguan perform good on dunes is its light weight and torque engine. Also with DSG the torque loss is not there. If you check, Tiguan has one of the best Torque/weight ratio out there.

· myTiguan Master
4,601 Posts
Great video nike just loved the scenery, but I would be afraid all those nasty rocks and things would scratch my Tig.

P.S. the only time my Tig goes off road is when I drive onto my drive lol.

Mick

Reactions: AlanTig

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more video of the Tiguan in soft sand. The tire pressure was 25 psi as initially the area was rocky and we did not expect so thick layer of soft sand. Anyways, Tigaun managed it beautifully, just I have to shift to sport mode.

· myTiguan Master
4,601 Posts
in the dune the tiguan is very good. if you install Stage1 software the tiguan will be amazing ! 250hp .

That sure looks like fun, the closest I would be able to get to that would be driving in snow if we ever had any.

· Premium Member
13,155 Posts
That sure looks like fun, the closest I would be able to get to that would be driving in snow if we ever had any.
Be careful what you wish for Mick, lol. :lol:

· myTiguan Master
4,601 Posts
Be careful what you wish for Mick, lol. :lol:
Sorry OD but it doesn't look like us in the south east of blighty will get any till maybe Easter.

Mick

· Registered
74 Posts
I was not aware of this software but after reading initial info, I guess it is not needed for me. I am afraid it will spoil the engine.

I just want my Tiguan to take me to beautiful places around here and so far it has never failed me in my 5 years with it.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meanwhile I visited this very beautiful place. Earlier my friends (our off-road group members) advised me not to take Tiguan to this area. So I rode with them as a passenger. This time one senior member (age 65+) allowed it.
I took an opportunity and believe me my Tiguan did better than his chevy Tohoe 2016!
Again ground clearance is the concern as I have to worry about small stones and bushes.

He challenged me to climb the dune and Tiguan climbed more than 3/4 th. But I have not tried second time. As I was satisfied with what she made.

Here is the clip.

· Premium Member
13,155 Posts
Nike, forums are a great place to ask questions, but they are also a great source of information. Before asking any of your questions use our search engine to see if any of your questions have already been answered. Our search engine accepts a minimum of 3 characters (Numeric and/or Alphabetic). Best to make sure you are searching "All Forums". If you still can't find anything by all means ask away as we are all here to help and learn.

Here is what I found in a couple of minutes using the keywords "Stage 1": This should give you an idea of what it is about and the risk of losing your warranty.

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/36593-revo-stage-1/

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/22401-chipping-a-140bhp-tiguan-to-180bhp/

Old Dog

Reactions: Niket

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nike, forums are a great place to ask questions, but they are also a great source of information. Before asking any of your questions use our search engine to see if any of your questions have already been answered. Our search engine accepts a minimum of 3 characters (Numeric and/or Alphabetic). Best to make sure you are searching "All Forums". If you still can't find anything by all means ask away as we are all here to help and learn.

Here is what I found in a couple of minutes using the keywords "Stage 1": This should give you an idea of what it is about and the risk of losing your warranty.

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/36593-revo-stage-1/

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/22401-chipping-a-140bhp-tiguan-to-180bhp/

Old Dog
Yes, you are correct. It was impromptu and I am sorry for it.

· Premium Member
13,155 Posts
No problem Nike. It was a friendly reminder meant to inform.

Cheers!

Reactions: mickjane2

· Registered
37 Posts
I was not aware of this software but after reading initial info, I guess it is not needed for me. I am afraid it will spoil the engine.

I just want my Tiguan to take me to beautiful places around here and so far it has never failed me in my 5 years with it.
The Tiguan have EA888 Engine . the EA888 is THE BEST WV ENGINE ! .

this engine can get up to 400+ HP ....

audi use this engine in the Audi TT Sportback and get 400hp STOCK ! . ( http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/10/20141002-ttsportback.html )

so 250hp tiguan (tiguan-r) is not a problem for the engine :)

Drive Skill :

for sand dune keep the gear in 2nd and more then 2500rpm so you will get max power , disable traction control . if you need to go up hill keep the tiguan

in 1st gear and get to 4500-6500rpm ..

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Tiguan have EA888 Engine . the EA888 is THE BEST WV ENGINE ! .

this engine can get up to 400+ HP ....

audi use this engine in the Audi TT Sportback and get 400hp STOCK ! . ( http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/10/20141002-ttsportback.html )

so 250hp tiguan (tiguan-r) is not a problem for the engine :)

Drive Skill :

for sand dune keep the gear in 2nd and more then 2500rpm so you will get max power , disable traction control . if you need to go up hill keep the tiguan

in 1st gear and get to 4500-6500rpm ..
Wow 400HP ! Thank you for this information. I knew this 2.0 liter TSI is gem of an engine but this information is new to me.

Meanwhile another trip to the desert and Tiguan was match to match or at times even better than Tahoe, Mountaineer and Yukon. Again the light weight makes it so easy on sand.

For forum members, I am posting two more clips of my last weekend trip.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.