VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again...

Right 2011 2.0tdi, having owned many diesels I'm used to the tell tale signs of the regens... Higher revs when stationary, stink of fuel, different engine tones and fans running full on.

But our Tig, whenever you drive it more or less will start at 750rpm, half way through the drive it then idled at 900, stink of fuel but fans aren't on and this is more or less every time we drive it not every once in a while... Nigh on every day

I work away all week, the car is always taken on long runs and not just pootling round town but still the same symptoms.

Any headers with where to go, it's still got over 4 months warranty to to but no warning lights or codes are stored so warranty arent bothered till it breaks down or the eml ot glow plug light stay lit.

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
Not sure where the stink of fuel is coming from. I had two diesel Tigs before my current petrol one and when regen took place the only “smell” was a hotter engine than usual. As you say idle would go up if you were stopped as well but certainly no fuel smell at all. Then if you stopped for any length of time the fans ran longer simply because the engine had been running hot to burn off the particulates. Mine certainly didn’t come on with any sort of schedule, never new when it would happen and usually only knew when you stopped and it hadn’t completed so high revs, hot engine etc. Don’t know that any of this helps but t that’s my experience with dpf regen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where the stink of fuel is coming from. I had two diesel Tigs before my current petrol one and when regen took place the only “smell” was a hotter engine than usual. As you say idle would go up if you were stopped as well but certainly no fuel smell at all. Then if you stopped for any length of time the fans ran longer simply because the engine had been running hot to burn off the particulates. Mine certainly didn’t come on with any sort of schedule, never new when it would happen and usually only knew when you stopped and it hadn’t completed so high revs, hot engine etc. Don’t know that any of this helps but t that’s my experience with dpf regen.
Regens usually happened on my old diesel cars (all vauxhall or Holdens over in NZ I guess) every 600-800 miles.

But this is darn every day with the higher revs with stink of fuel but no fans running to keep the engine cool whilst it gets the dpf as hot as possible to burn off the soot.

Had a major full service (all belts, filters and dsg service) couple of weeks ago 2 weeks after I bought it.

With my hgv if I've been parked up for so say like 18 hours watching tv etc and then start her up itll keep the revs high on idle to charge the batteries back up and wasnt sure if they have that kind of technology in the Tig.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,088 Posts
Maybe you are mistaking fault symptoms for a regen. My Tig in the 6 years I had it I could never tell when it was doing a regen, 2015 177ps EA188 engine. Certainly never a smell of diesel.

You maybe have a sticking injector for example.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
The only time I smelt fuel during a Regen on my CR140 EA188 was when the exhaust flap was stuck halfway closed but the other symptoms were high EGTs (had a gauge) all the time and severely lacking on power.

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
201 Posts
My only tell for when my tdi does a regen is a bit more smokey as i drive. Apart from that i wouldnt know. I do have the fans running on after i turn the engine off sometimes, i assume mid regen.

If you put your ac on do the fans run then?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts