VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a new Tig R line yesterday which looked great with all the right proportions, and much better looking than the Allspace, but it is being imported in the petrol version only.

I have been happy with the current TDi but only the Allspace is being imported in the diesel version.

The question I have is, taking into account all the pluses and minuses (difference in running costs etc) which would forum members plump for bearing in mind their experience?

·
Administrator
3,191 Posts
Which diesel is it coming with. That Bi Turbo diesel is a beast. I definitely miss my CR140 in my Golf but the extra maintenance it's a wash for some. Extra emissions, adblue, DPF, the Fuel Filters etc. But given the chance id definitely own another, sat VW pulled the diesels here thanks to dieselgate.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
I’ve had both, MkI and MkI facelift with the 103kw diesel and now a MkII R-line with GTi petrol power. Loved the diesels for their amazing low down torque and incredible economy BUT the GTi engine in the MkII R-line is brilliant, 0-100kph in just over 6secs (faster than the GTi because of 4motion) and amazing handling thanks to adjustable suspension and custom driver setup. The fuel consumption is not as good as the diesel so running costs are higher but I run low mileages these days so it doesn’t worry me and I can still get 35 to 40mpg (imp) on the open road with NZs mountainous and windy roads. So I loved the diesels but I would be hard pressed to find better than the R-line for anything like similar price here. Bang for my buck the R/line petrol is amazing. There are others better but these days you’d be paying at least 50% more for them over the Tig to get anything like the same performance and bells and whistles.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which diesel is it coming with. That Bi Turbo diesel is a beast. I definitely miss my CR140 in my Golf but the extra maintenance it's a wash for some. Extra emissions, adblue, DPF, the Fuel Filters etc. But given the chance id definitely own another, sat VW pulled the diesels here thanks to dieselgate.
30 mins after posting, the dealer let me know that after a 3 year gap VW is importing Tig diesels.The model is the Tiguan 147TDI Elegance 7-Speed DSG. No full specs yet but the 147kw is well up on my current 103kw.

Take all your comments on board Derek and will compare prices but the below is looking good (although a deal slower than the R-Line). Am only averaging 42mpg currently

Features:

2.0 litre TDI engine; 147 kW

3 spoke leather covered steering wheel with gearshift paddles

4MOTION all-wheel drive

7 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)

8 Speakers

Adaptive chassis control with Driving profile selection

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

Air Care 3 zone climate control air conditioning

Alloy wheels (Auckland) 19"

Ambient interior lighting (30 colours)

Auto-dimming rear view mirror

Chrome highlights to interior and exterior

Dark tinted rear side window and rear window glass, 65% light absorbing

Decorative inlays, "Cross" to dashboard and front doors

Digital Cockpit Pro, colour digital display with multiple customisable views

Discover Pro audio and satellite navigation system

Driver and front passenger airbags and driver's knee airbag

Driver and front passenger side airbags and curtain airbags, front and rear

Driver Fatigue Detection system

Driver's and passenger's side vanity mirrors in sun visor

Electrically heated and adjustable exterior mirrors with memory

Electrically operated automatic opening and closing of the tailgate with Easy Open and Close functions

Electronic engine immobiliser

Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (CityEB) function (for ACC)

Front centre armrest

Front safety optimised head restraints, longitudinal and height adjustable

IQ.LIGHT - LED Matrix headlights

ISOFIX child seat anchorage points, outer rear seats

Keyless Access, keyless entry and starting system

Low light sensor with automatic headlight function; Coming/leaving home function; LED daytime driving lights

Low tyre pressure indicator

Park Assist, parking bay and parallel parking assistance

Pedestrian Monitoring

Poor weather lights with cornering light

Rain sensing windscreen wipers

Rear View Camera (RVC Plus) with multi-angle views and dynamic guidance lines

Roof rails, chrome

Side Assist, lane changing assistant

Travel Assist with Lane Assist with adaptive lane guidance & Emergency Assist

Vienna leather appointed seat upholstery

Visual and acoustic warning for front and rear seat passenger seat belts not fastened

Wireless AppConnect for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

·
Administrator
3,191 Posts
147kw /200bhp should be pushing 300tq will pack the bigger tiggy with ease. Seems like a nice setup

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,027 Posts
That's a great spec car. The only reason I've switched to petrol is Volvo have dropped all the diesel engines. I don't see any thing bad with the modern diesels, they're really clean and have more torque than the petrol equivalents.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HUD together with better sound and a 360 deg exterior display is an option which I'll go for. The leather is standard and hope the sheepskin will protect from ODBS (Old Dog's Butt Syndrome). The R Line162kw is a couple of thousand cheaper for similar features so the diesel looks promising. Top speed is now 123 mph although only legal in the Northern Territory. Imagine the consumption will be up with the increased power and my heavy foot.

SWMBO wonders whether I'll be able to plug the seat memory into my brain to help with all the things I forget. She told me today that there's something called a vacuum cleaner that can be used in the house - what will they think of next?

·
Administrator
13,362 Posts
ODBS :gathering:

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
The 360 degree camera is a brilliant addition, our leather seats look totally different to the NA ones and I’ve never had an issue with them comfort wise. The memory sets everything including the seat and stereo etc etc to the keys so you can set it up as key 1 for you you and key 2 for your best friend .... after all SWMBO doesn’t understand all this modern stuff lol. I can only say that out loud cos I’m up reading at 2am and SWMBO is fast asleep lol.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what happens when you both get in the car with a key each?

Yup, it's all looking good with Sept delivery - apparently there's a global shortage of a vital chip as well as leather. The increased grunt will be welcome as the 103kw struggles a bit up hills when towing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having contacted the dealer's service manager for a pricing of the first five years (75,000km) of servicing, he has informed me that 'Transmission and diff oils are being listed as sealed for life and maintenance free according to this schedule.'

I have asked him if that means there is neither a fill or drain plug - if so, what do members think and should it be a deal breaker for buying a new vehicle? (This is for a 2.0 147 TDi Elegance)

·
Administrator
3,191 Posts
Sealed for life = Planned obsolescence

Even here the 09M is a lifetime fill, yet I've now done it twice. Oil has a lifetime before it breaks down. Nothing is lifetime, dealers just want things to break outside of warranty because they get paid for it. Warranty work doesn't pay.

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
I read an article written by an Aisin engineer and they explicitly told VW/Audi that filled for life meant there is no way for the user to check level and that if there is no leak, there is no reason to check, but the fluid itself does have a service life. Then the marketing people spun it into the BS being spewed by the service advisor.

Reactions: IggytheTiggy

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, if there's a leak, you have to replace the whole item?

I was wondering if any 2021 model Tig owner can confirm that the transmission oils are not changeable. Having followed members' posts over the years, it would seem like suicide for the Haldex.

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
no, there is a fill/drain location, but no dipstick or sensor to check level. That their definition of 'fill for life'. They should have chosen their words a bit better years ago.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's enormously helpful, Shawn as I was on the point of cancelling the new Tig. Needless to say the dealer hasn't replied/doesn't know. Great info from the forum as usual. I'd guess that this may apply across other VW models.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Administrator
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'd think that after 'dieselgate', VW would be unwilling to trick car owners so blatantly. This is a 'must read' for all members who intend to keep their vehicles for 50,000 miles.

Reactions: IggytheTiggy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts