VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's UP! has a feature where, when ambient lighting is low it dims the dash dials lighting. At first I thought the dash was not backlit with lights off, and it was just the luminous figures not showing up. Then I found a thread about it in the UP! forum, and discovered there's a sensor in the dials that reduces the display brightness to "suggest" to the driver to turn the lights on.

Anyway, thing is I'm starting to think the tiggy has the same thing. Driving in shade I notice the Speedo/rev clocks get almost unreadable, but back out of the shade they're really bright. This is more of a change than I would expect given the change of shade/light. Somewhat redundant I would have thought given the car has auto lighting, but maybe fitted for the models with manual lighting and no interaction with the auto side.

Has anyone else noticed this? I've not done any experimentation to check this our yet, on the UP! if you shield the fuel gauge where the sensor's located you see the dials dimming down.

Note it's just the dials that dim, not the MFD or any other dash lighting.

Richard

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep, seems to be a VAG-wide feature, all my previous VAG cars have done this too. It's VCDS tweakable too.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Leave your lights set to auto instead of off.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I leave my lights "OFF" but I have noticed the clocks being dark in shade, but I'm also sure I've seen them illuminated, wierd it is
The dials go dark in shade to remind you to turn the headlights on, whether set to Off or Automatic. When the headlights are on, the dials remain lit at full brightness.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use my auto headlight setting all the time. The dash lights will dim when the lights come on whether manually or automatically.

The reason for this is because at night, if the dash lights were at full brightness, it would be distracting to the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts