VW Tiguan Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
Darn! Just spotted one of my replacement wheels has now developed the same fault. They're the Sierra wheels that I bought as upgrade at the time of purchase. Does anyone know if its just this model of wheel or are other Tiguan wheels faulty too?

Back to dealer on Monday see what they say.
had one of my sierra alloys replaced at the 3 year service under warranty...so far the others have shown no signs. (the replaced wheel had corroded in the rim of the wheel nut.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was offered wheel and tyre insurance at the point of sale which I declined. When I picked the car up it had been included for free. They must have needed to increase sales figures so theyd fiddled the price of my trade in to cover it. The point is I think this is maybe one way manufactures are getting out of the cost of replacing wheels by getting the customer to purchase damage insurance which will also cover other problems.
We too were offered the wheel & tyre insurance for something like £600 which I declined. When we picked the car up we were offered the wheel & tyre covered separately so I took the wheel cover for £249 which was more on the train of thought of 'just in case my wife kerbs them' rather than them corroding.

I've just ordered some Collinite 476S wax specifically for the wheels. Once it arrives all wheels (not at the same time ;) ) will be coming off the car & 2 coats will be applied to protect them from all the salt & dirt on the roads & hopefully prevent any corrosion for years to come.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dealer wont change the wheel under warranty. Says there is a small stone chip at the area where the blemish has appeared and that the warranty would not cover it. Was told I could purchase a new wheel and that they would make a claim under warranty but could not guarantee success. The blemish is only small at the moment. As I have 12 months left on my warranty Im going to have to see if it appears anywhere else on the wheel where there are no stone chips.

The dealer is JCT VW York. Last time they were fine changing all four wheels. This time a different person inspected them, the Warranty manageress.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If there is a manufacturing fault or poor quality which results in damage to a wheel then its clear there should be a Warranty claim. The problem is clarifying that. When Shawn says "Too many claims", I suspect it includes the ones that are in the grey area where its not easy to prove a manufacturing problem but the Dealer wishes to keep the customers custom. Although legally the Dealer is responsible for faulty goods. If warranty claims are being more closely scrutinised by VW inevitably the Dealer will be reluctant to risk standing the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alloy wheels don't like UK salted roads. I bought a set of steel winter wheels with M+S tyres for less than £100/corner. These go on in late October and come off in early April. Improved MPG noted as they are 215/65 R16 vs. the standard 235/55 R17's. They have been brilliant, the alloys get cleaned, treated and stored for the winter and come out sparkling for the summer.......and it saves tyre wear on the summer usage Bridgestone Dueler HP tyres. (www.mytyres.co.uk) - delivered within 5 days from Germany. Incidentally the Nankang's (Taiwan) are highly recommended! Insurance company noted with no premium adjustments.

Complete Set of Wheels VW TIGUAN 4MOTION 2.0 TDI 5N 1968ccm 130 kW 08.2011- Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 5 x 112.00 x 57.00) mit Nankang Snow SV-2 215/65 R16 102H XL Quantity: 4 unit price net: 70.67 GBP (84.80 GBP brutto)
-----------------------------------------
Total amount net: 282.67 GBP Transport and delivery costs net: 33.00 GBP
Total amount net: 315.67 GBP 20 % VAT 63.13 GBP
Total sum: 378.80 GBP

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Alloy wheels don't like UK salted roads. I bought a set of steel winter wheels with M+S tyres for less than £100/corner. These go on in late October and come off in early April. Improved MPG noted as they are 215/65 R16 vs. the standard 235/55 R17's. They have been brilliant, the alloys get cleaned, treated and stored for the winter and come out sparkling for the summer.......and it saves tyre wear on the summer usage Bridgestone Dueler HP tyres. (www.mytyres.co.uk) - delivered within 5 days from Germany. Incidentally the Nankang's (Taiwan) are highly recommended! Insurance company noted with no premium adjustments.

Complete Set of Wheels VW TIGUAN 4MOTION 2.0 TDI 5N 1968ccm 130 kW 08.2011- Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 5 x 112.00 x 57.00) mit Nankang Snow SV-2 215/65 R16 102H XL Quantity: 4 unit price net: 70.67 GBP (84.80 GBP brutto)
Total amount net: 282.67 GBP Transport and delivery costs net: 33.00 GBP
Total amount net: 315.67 GBP 20 % VAT 63.13 GBP
Total sum: 378.80 GBP
FYI: A Private Message (PM) has been sent to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being diamond cut wheels it's bare metal with a coat or two of lacquer over the top. The tiniest stonechip or graze on the wheel can allow water Inbetween the two which then causes the worming effect as said

But then again it all depends on how you treat the wheels. Have they been regularly waxed, sealed, cleaned using PH neutral/acid free wheel cleaner etc
As said diamond cut wheels in general do not like road salt/grit so in the winter if you let it sit on the rims which are unsealed it will eat away at the lacquer working its way in
There are a lot of factors to take into account before blaiming Vw for this 'fault'
It's great if you can get them replaced but if the dealership are refusing I wouldn't take offence. I'd put it down to general 'wear and tear'. Especially with the state of the UK roads

Just my thoughts. I don't want to start a massive debate lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you use one of the many "hand wash" sites which seem to be cropping up all over the UK, including supermarket car parks, they have such a short time to wash your car I think many use some of the strong de-greaser type sprays to clean your wheels and bodywork.

BenTiguan mentioned you should use PH Neutral / Acid Free cleaners which I always use and have never had any issues with wheel corrosion.

In fact my Tig SE (with standard alloys) had several stone chips but no corrosion at all after two years on salty NE UK roads. I put this down to waxing the rims initially, then using PH Neutral wheel cleaner which was carefully rinsed off for many minutes to ensure there was no residue.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The other thing to avoid is dealers washing your car as the cheap stuff they use turns the black wheel nut caps white. Pulman at Durham now have a machine wash which is even worse than someone hand washing it! If one dealer won't replace under warranty try another one.

Reactions: GeoffH

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
The other thing to avoid is dealers washing your car as the cheap stuff they use turns the black wheel nut caps white. Pulman at Durham now have a machine wash which is even worse than someone hand washing it! If one dealer won't replace under warranty try another one.
Yep, I avoid dealer freebie washings like the plague. :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sep 2022 and still the same problem but VW are now pointing out tiny stone chips and saying not covered. I could not see any stone chips! I have registered a complaint with VW customer service UK but they told me the dealer is the only one able to agree a replacement. The system is very much aligned to VW and not the customer.

I would be very reluctant to pay extra for VW chrome wheels (my opinion).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts