VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out cleaning the cars today hadn't given them a hand wash for about 2 months, noticed all 4 alloy wheels have what appears to be corrosion under the lacquer. The finish is still totally smooth to touch and definitely not kerbed but it's all milky looking in multiple places on each wheel

I hope VW honour their 3 year warranty on wheels too, anyone else had to make a claim like this ?

Picture of one of the wheels and the mark !!

Attachments

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
doesn't look good does it. Mine are the same age, I had the centre caps all replaced at the one year service due to "milky" look, but all the wheels are sound at the moment, free from marks or scratches. I have just spent a morning cleaning the car inside and out, polishing up the wheels, treating the the outside and inside rubber/vinyl with autoglym gel, cleaning the glass too. That Halfraud's deal of buy two autoglym products and get a third one free is getting some use today!

Back to your post.....dealer will change.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had two r line wheels replaced due to the lacquer coming off. Watch VW don't try and wriggle out of it by saying you've used poor quality washing materials!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really not impressed after our other issues and expect a battle as its all 4 wheels, definitely no curbing and all wheels have the milky corrosion around the centre cap on the alloy so curbing would be impossible. As we have only 3mm of tread on all tyres I am tempted if VW agree to replace all 4 wheels to upgrade to Savannah 19" wheels.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine are the same, I just put it down to one of those things as nothings perfect these days

Jon

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Really not impressed after our other issues and expect a battle as its all 4 wheels, definitely no curbing and all wheels have the milky corrosion around the centre cap on the alloy so curbing would be impossible. As we have only 3mm of tread on all tyres I am tempted if VW agree to replace all 4 wheels to upgrade to Savannah 19" wheels.
You'll be very lucky to be allowed to upgrade. it'll be like for like or nothing as that's how the warranty works unfortunately.

Reactions: Chuck Tiguan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the VW garage this morning and the warranty manager came out and examined them. After 5 mins said he would order 4 new replacements from VW. Apparently they have seen this on a few but not loads of the diamond cut wheels.

No upgrdae / change of design available.

·
Registered
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
4,263 Posts
Forget about the upgrade/change, that's what I call a good result.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All 4 wheels changed over on a while you wait appointment and washed and hoovered too. I would advise anyone else with the milky looking wheels to go get them swapped.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
All 4 wheels changed over on a while you wait appointment and washed and hoovered too. I would advise anyone else with the milky looking wheels to go get them swapped.
:twoup: :twoup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have rims with corrosion like this on my 2013 Jetta - maybe even worse. The car is only 22 months old. Volkswagen is claiming it's from "leaving a cleaning material on them" - we had washed and rinsed them at a car wash before storing them for the winter season - no chance of damage with a standard wheel/engine cleaner. Had pulled them down from storage to find these corroding spots on them today. VW refuses to replace/repair them. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
I am amazed that anyone has ever had rims replaced. Take a highly reactive metal, coat it with some clear 'paint' and then expose it to some of the harshest conditions. Then XX months later, expect it to look as good as new. i realize it sucks, but i really do think people have unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I wouldn't call expecting wheels to stand up to what they were made for for 3 yrs unrealistic. I would call a failure unacceptable. 3 years warranty is just that. The salesman didn't say " by the way your wheels will go tatty before 3 years is up", when he was trying to sell it.

Reactions: T1gR

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have rims with corrosion like this on my 2013 Jetta - maybe even worse. The car is only 22 months old. Volkswagen is claiming it's from "leaving a cleaning material on them" - we had washed and rinsed them at a car wash before storing them for the winter season - no chance of damage with a standard wheel/engine cleaner. Had pulled them down from storage to find these corroding spots on them today. VW refuses to replace/repair them. Any suggestions?
try a different dealer or better still go to vw of Canada direct with your complaint. if vw insist on giving warranty then they shouldn't be saying it's a customers fault.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
This is a generic question and does not in any way imply that people here are abusing their stuff, nor am I trying to argue, but I would really like to understand peoples thoughts on this topic.

So mcmaddy, are you saying that regardless how or what the customer does with a product, the warranty should still apply? Does that include abuse, or misuse?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same issue on the same wheels and I noticed when they were only very small marks and the car was 12 months old with very low mileage. Went back to VW JCT York, no questions asked after a very short inspection new set ordered and replaced. Excellent service. It appears a manufacturing issue. If the wheels are not spotless and bone dry before the last lacquered finish then they get this effect its known as white worming. There is no stopping it once it occurs. Don't use harsh cleaning products just soppy water and wash often in winter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Darn! Just spotted one of my replacement wheels has now developed the same fault. They're the Sierra wheels that I bought as upgrade at the time of purchase. Does anyone know if its just this model of wheel or are other Tiguan wheels faulty too?

Back to dealer on Monday see what they say.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
I have customer who has chromed aluminum rims on his Cadillac and corvette. Chroming aluminum is incredibly hard and both have developed flaking. Some on the surface, some on the bead that makes the tire leak. This must be killing them on warranty. On another note, VW is tightening up qualifying for rust issues on paint/body work. I suspect that in the near future, most manufactures will reduce or eliminate the warranty on rims.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I was offered wheel and tyre insurance at the point of sale which I declined. When I picked the car up it had been included for free. They must have needed to increase sales figures so theyd fiddled the price of my trade in to cover it. The point is I think this is maybe one way manufactures are getting out of the cost of replacing wheels by getting the customer to purchase damage insurance which will also cover other problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts