VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I have had coolant leaking for about six months. It was only a hassle from the start,
but now I need to refill almost every week. I have searched all over for leaks, but the coolant must
be dissappearing inside somewhere.
A few days ago I went under the car again and found an oil leak.
Measured the oil and yes it's leaking a little engine oil as well
The area where the engine oil seems to come from is shown on the following pictures.

Anyone who knows what parts this is or what would be the way to go?
Youtube DIY ?

Kind Regards,
Jan

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would expect there to be 2 seperate problems.
Coolant loss - maybe from the water pump, its inside the cambelt covers, driven by the cambelt. They are prone to leaking, the pump is usually replaced athe same time as the cam belt. Has your cam belt been changed? If not then now would be a good time to change both. Mine was leaking so I did the cambelt and tensioners at he same time. Parts £120, Timing Kit £25, labour about 8 hours.
Oil leak - My 2.0Tdi Tiguan has never needed the oil topped up between changes, so dropping oil level almost certainlya leak. I can't really tell from the photo how bad the leak is, I would suggest using degreaser to clean it up then monitor the leak. It could be the camshaft seal or cam cover gasket. I would be easier to see these while doing the cambelt, and repair att he same time. Worst case is headgasket leaking, not an easy fix!
It is also worth checking there is no oil in the coolant - if there is it is usually a leak in the oil cooler. Replacing the cooler is easy job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks iangaryprice,
There is no water in the oil so far. I have done as you suggested and put it in for a cambelt change when they check the cooolant leak and/or replace the water pump.

Cambelt is one part of the car I'm not to enthusiastic about dealing with myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts