VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I changed my dials, I had a kessy issue, other than that all good.

I did however go into Module 09, then perform a 'factory default' / forget all. Adaptation, however... all seemed good after that.

Now the MIB2 is showing "Component Protection Active" - with no sound output / audio. All functions work, android auto, navigation, radio. However, I have the "Component Protection Active" overlay.

Any ideas how to fix? a quick forum search shows.... Dealer Visit time - I'm weary that they'll see the parking sensors, Golf R Exhaust and refuse to touch it?

I have ODIS (no online account $$$), a VCP Clone and genuine VCDS.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
May have to have the radio code entered. I believe ODIS can reset it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've ordered the radio code for $20 from the same guy who did the cluster swap, he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy...

There's no option to enter the code on screen though Iggy?

You're right, looks like ODIS might be the only way. I have a VAS 6154 Cable and ODIS 6.1.0 but no online login, looking through some UK ebay listings (none here in Canada) and they offer the service locally at their workshops - I've been contacting them asking for remote support to login to ODIS Online, so far I've had two refusals.

Code:
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)       Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
   Part No SW: 5C0 035 684     HW: 5C0 035 684
   Component: MU-S-NS-US    H22 0245
   Serial number: VW000000000000
   Coding: 02130602AA00000011220003001828001F0106C400200105C6
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CTSAT 001022
   ROD: EV_MUStd4CTSAT_VW32.rod

Data carrier:
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 3G0 919 866 R    HW: -----------
   Component: NAR 2016  --- 0321
   Serial number: --------------------

2 Faults Found:
15360256 - Component Protection
          U1101 00 [009] - Active
          [Anti-theft protection - component protection active (0xEA6100)]
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 187
                    Mileage: 66431 km
                    Date: 2021.06.26
                    Time: 19:13:04

Voltage terminal 30: 12.2 V

7194 - Function Restricted due to Missing Message(s)
          U1111 00 [009] - -
          [Side assist (0x1A) - function restriction due to communication error - BapErr_retry not successful]
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 185
                    Mileage: 66351 km
                    Date: 2021.06.24
                    Time: 20:41:08

Voltage terminal 30: 12.3 V
                    BAP-BAP_Function_ID: 02

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Can you try hard booting the radio and see what happens?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, same results - reboots with component protection on.

I got ODIS all the way to the point of resolving it.... but it wants the online connection and a login to get things fixed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got connected with a gentleman out in Russia to assist with CP removal (for a fair price), it was fun watching him work, but things didn't go as smoothly as he had planned.

When running though the CP removal, logging in online, he had an error about the "start entry in the IMMO not coded"

He then went into Module 25 on ODIS > Guided functions > Adapt Anti-Theft Immobilizer and got the following error.

He tells me (I'm paraphrasing) " I don't know what you did with the car", "If you already made the changes to the dash, or if someone else has done it badly", "Your instrument cluster is broken right now!", "Either write the changes back, or put the original cluster back in". "Then I will do everything correctly myself".

.... I can't put the changes back, I don't have the VVDI2 to write to theeepromm, the guy who did the keys does.

So we're at this stage right now:
  1. Cluster swapped and IMMO coded, no issues with CP but one time I had a KESSY antenna problem (which turns out to be the bodyshop not connecting the rear KESSY antenna when putting the bumper back together in a rush :mad:)
  2. One the drive home, next day, couple of days after, all was working.
  3. Until, as part of the KESSY problem solving, I went into Module 09 and reset all defaults, thinking.... that KESSY and IMMO are two systems, programming key's via IMMO/CLUSTER/VVDI2 is one thing, KESSY is a VCDS separate task.

4. As the above error shows, the car did NOT like trying to re-program or learn all keys again in VCDS.
  5. After this, the CP shown up on the MIB2 head unit.
My next step is going back to the guy with the VVDI2, to have him start a fresh, pay again, and have him readapt everything from scratch, so we can get back to step 1 here, minus the KESSY issue (now resolved, I plugged it back in). My thinking is, everything was working perfectly before the MODULE09 adjustment above.

**EDIT, Found this online, it *may also just be a coincidence.

What is Component Protection? It’s the mechanism to enable unit working in a car in which it was officially installed. This is done by assigning unit to VIN of your car which is done by the dealer using on-line tools. Unfortunately, there’s no way I know to match if you install it in the car for which it has not been designed. Generally speaking, the unit can be locked with Component Protection in two ways:
1. If you install it in the car equipped with dashboard (instruments) that manages Component Protection feature, then it's locked within few seconds.
2. If you install it in the car with older dashboard, that doesn't manage Component Protection, or you power the radio outside any car, then internal timer is started. It counts every second of operation and stores in it EEPROM. When it reaches approx. 8 hours then radio locks itself with Component Protection. That's why if you install it in the car with older dashboard then everything is fine, and you can drive happy for next few hours - but when you reach 8 hours radio locks itself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final follow up here before bed.

• Original cluster went back in. Powered up, MIB2 full volume. VCDS Scan - No issues under 5F.
  • New cluster goes back in. Powered up, Success! MIB2 CP logo gone, full volume, audio output.... however, full scan reveals CP fault under 5F. o_O
  • Hold down power button on MIB2,Full reset.
  • VCDS Scan, 5F, CP fault now gone!
  • Full volume, everything working with new cluster installed.

Now... according to that youtube clip up above, CP is activated in 2 ways - 1. With the addition of a foreign cluster, or 2. With an 8 hour countdown, so after driving for 8 hours lets see if CP comes back.. if it does. Who knows, a problem with something the guy did on VVDI2 with that new cluster?

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Hope you have a good night's sleep.

Reactions: mickjane2

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to come back here, as I want to close things out on this - in case someone decides to go down this route in future.

So I connected with (I would say) three different well know 'CP expert' members of forums throughout the internet, all were either not bothered, never responded, or too lazy to try and tackle this, most kept running around in circles. Eventually I was approached by somebody who assisted in removing CP for me. I cannot disclose the exact method, nor the person (not a member on the forums here).

It essentially involved me reading the old eeprom on the cluster and the person making the right modifications and then applying those to the new clusters eeprom. The process took around 4 days in total.

Although I know this might not be helpful whatsoever, I was told this is down to a few things, software versions, the cluster used not physically having component protection, the head unit needed to be patched - pretty much everything.

*Apologies to all for not being more helpful - I was specifically asked not to disclose the persons details, out of respect I will be unable to share this with anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts