VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2011 2l TDI B7 estate for 8 years, loved it to bits, 140k, still like new & never missed a beat & id say it was the best car I ever had, & ive had quite a few!!
But, ALL my time with the Passat, there was a 'suspension-clonk' from the L/side when going over 'lumpy' surfaces, had it looked at many times & no-one found anything amiss, I even told the inspectors during the annual MOT tests & they too, never found anything!!
So, this new ( to me ) 40k Tiguan seems to suffer the EXACT SAME l/side clonk on rough surfaces, my son & my buddy cant seem to hear it, but I certainly do, I even AIM for rough-stuff on the right side (when safe to do so ) & there is no sound at all, so something's happening!!
To me, it sounds like loose or worn bush/s, joints etc. & looking on the likes of e-bay there is a large choice of suspension parts to choose from, none of which appear that expensive, & i'm toying with the idea of buying one of everything & just change stuff!!
Can you experts here tell me if there is a common 'Tiguan' weakness on the front sus that I can look into?
Its a 2017 DSG 4 motion & I think has the electric dampers if that helps'
It drives fine, no notches, wandering etc.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Rear suspension clonk is common. Mine has dine it, and will go away occasionally. Grim what I'm told it's the spring Popping just a bit. Nothing to worry about other than the annoyance. It's a well documented issue on Tiguan. Keep in mind Tiguan uses the rear cradle off a Golf Variant with longer springs. So the suspension geometry is a bit odd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooops, Sorry Iggy, my mistake, I didn't mention the most important bit, its from the FRONT left side, & another reason I suspect the suspension issue is since we in the UK drive on the left, its the left side of the roads that suffer most from kerbside surface damage & hence its that side that wears out first.
If I purposely 'aim' for road damage on the right side, there is no clonk, just the solid 'thump' you'd expect if you get my meaning.
I must add that it drives just fine, & feels tight in the steering etc.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
It could still be spring pop moving a bit in the strut. I notice mine seems to get worse as the dry days progress but if I wash it it might disappear. Also I never hear it during wet season. Also being the front it could be the end links. They will pop when going bad and hard to diagnose without lifting the Tiguan, removing the tires and pulling the top strut point of the end link off and moving the ball sockets. I've blown thru a few sets when I put the lifing spacers in, till I found a set of adjustable ones for lowering and modified them for a lifted application. When they were blown I'd get a bunch of funny noises in the don't end. I had to do a serious evasive manuver a few years ago on the freeway pushing 80mph (Elk wandered into my lane) I head a pop, and my front end felt washy. No place to stop, I took it easy a few miles to the next exit. Found the end link had snapped right at the top, and had laid over and was rubbing the inside of my tire. Another few miles it would have cut the sidewall out.

So if it were me I'd check the end links for the sway bar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For the type of clunking that you have described, I would suggest that the first thing to check is the drop-link... which can also be referred to as the anti-roll bar link.

My front left went a couple of months ago. Visually it was fine, but they are cheap to swap out, so I just changed it anyway, which cured my clonk.

Yooj

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Ahh Drop Link would be the same as End Link. Guess we just have a different name for it over across the pond. But yep it's a common fail point. There is some outfits over there that do sell the heavier and adjustable links. I haven't had a drop of issue with my modified home built ones. And honestly once you see one in your hand you'd be surprised how they hold up to spirited driving. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to agree with you as to the flimsiness of the suspension stuff, just before it snowed & whilst all was dry under there, I sprayed everywhere with Lanoguard & was really surprised how lightweight all the arms & struts were, thin-ish gauge stamped steel with what looks like the barest amount of paint. Built-in obsolescent perhaps, or keeping weight down to improve performance??

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Cost savings. You can use Audi TT parts to beef things up. The biggest aggravation is the rear suspension uses a fixed Camber arm. And VW does like a bit more negative camber on the rears. A few outfits make adjustable ones so an alignment shop can do a full and proper alignment. The biggest peeve? The bushings on the rear for the front control arms. They are Tiguan Specific. Even with the Gold Variant cradle the Tiguan has special bushings. So far other than OEM or cheap suppliers Powerflex makes a press in bushing for it that will help correct front alignment issues. I have a set of "Caster correctors") on mine, the holes are slightly slotted, with Poly bushings. With the slight lift I run it was definitely needed. Now it drives normally and in some ways more planted due to a good thrust alignment was done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts