VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read somewhere that new diesel engines can take biodiesel as well as normal diesel. Is this true?...and does this apply to a Tig D?

Trying to justify buying a Tig and so do my bit for the envoirnment as well!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well our new Touareg can't. It has a DPf so that may be the reason. Not sure if the Tig has a DPF. There is a HUGE warning on the inside of the filler flap (is that what it's called??
)

karen

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Tig does have a DPF so probably not then !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
My previous cars were Passat and Eos, both 2.0 TDI and both had warnings on filler flap, def no Biodiesel

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just re-checked the brochure - the 140 & 170ps diesel engines do not permit the use of bio-diesel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah silly me, inside the fuel cap it has a large cross stating no biodiesel --- doh! sorry guys&girls!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I started to look into this when deciding on Diesel for my new car. It's not a simple situation but I believe the simple answer is that if you want to retain your warranty you should only use "standard" diesel (ie from fuel stations).

Some info here - http://www.whatgreencar.com/biodiesel.php#q1

Biodiesel is a better solvent than standard diesel and older cars used non-synthetic hoses and seals which get dissolved by BD. New cars which use synthetic hoese and seals are not susceptible.

BD apparently has different combustion and viscosity qualities than standard diesel. It can be mixed with standard diesel and I believe the intent is all standard diesel you will get from the pumps will be a B5 mix (5% BD) in the near future. Up to B20 may be feasible for most cars although they may require EMU adjustment or more.

One problem with BD is it can have varying quality depending on the source material, who process it and how good a job they do. This lack of a standard, consistent quality is probably what has caused the car manufacturers to ban it.

Hopefully this situation will change for the better, though I suspect that will only be when the petrol companies are the main suppliers and preserve their profits. Otherwise it looks like you have to wait until your car is out of warranty and you can find a helpful engineer to make any necessary EMU changes...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts