VW Tiguan Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tig returned tonight, all sorted without charge. The Diesel filter needed 'nipped up' and the slight dribble/spillage of diesel cleaned. The odomter says that they took tig for a test drive of around 15 miles to check that the smell had been cleared. So all is OK now, and no £114 charged.

Steve

Reactions: Rory

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Being this is a few year old thread responses might be limited. But on top of the cam cover is a sticker look for a 3 letter code like CCT or CBT etc that's the engine code. Scanning with VCDS will also tell you.

Reactions: Garyfq

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really can't see why age has that much bearing on the wear factor. I've read that in Germany (of all places) there is no criteria on age just mileage. The rubber component is not the strength of the toothed belt, the inner fibres are the strength and this only ages with flexing not time. I recently changed an 80K miles belt that was 7 years old and it was in excellent condition. Only adding lots more miles would it have showed more wear but it would not have aged any more if not used. Obviously that's only my humble opinion. I also have have a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI. It is 16 years old but only done 36K miles (Yes 36K miles) I bet the belt is nearly as good as new but it's the original

·
Registered
Mk 2 2016 2.0 se nav 4 motion
9 Posts
Being this is a few year old thread responses might be limited. But on top of the cam cover is a sticker look for a 3 letter code like CCT or CBT etc that's the engine code. Scanning with VCDS will also tell you.
Phoned Vw and they said it’s a belt😔. Going to have it changed just in case.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Very wise IMHO, and change the water pump at the same time. I had mine done at 70,000kms/5years after reading all the advice on the forum and see it as money very well spent.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
2015 Tiguan (German Spec) TDI
16 Posts
Here's a short, but interesting video from Charles at The Humble Mechanic. This 2009 TDI had a serpentine belt failure. The serpentine belt broke, then got pulled behind the timing cover which resulted in the engine jumping time. Just something to be aware of if your mileage indicates it's time to get these belts replaced. If you're having these belts replaced, it's a good idea to have the pulleys and idlers replaced as a complete system. As noted, it's also a good idea to have the water pump replaced at the same time. No sense paying for the labor twice.

Organism Font Auto part Circle Diagram

·
Registered
Tiguan 5N Facelift 2.0 TDI
61 Posts
Hi mates,
I have come across this thread by accident and just want to put in my two cents. About ten years ago and earlier timing belt replacement interval was about 80k miles and the most vw dealers suggested to replace it even earlier. But lately especially with introduction of EA288 engines VW stated that timing/cambelt is life time or good for at least 140k miles. My Tiggy has about 110k miles and I was hoping that I could drive at least 10k to 15k miles more before replace it. At last inspection service about 3k miles ago everything seemed fine. Cam and serpentine belts were like new. But couple days ago coolant fluid warning light on the board came on and after check I noticed that about half a liter of coolant fluid is missing. After detailed inspection my mechanic determined that water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. As someone here said replacing water pump without timing belt would be insanity as also changing just timing belt without water pump. My conclusion is it's no use if cambelt is life time or should last 140k miles if factory water pump could not!

·
Registered
39 Posts
As regards the external serpentine belt snapping and jamming the main internal cam /water-pump toothed belt...well that would have still happened if the internal tooth belt was brand new, so not a good example to use as regards replacing this toothed belt before it is worn out (140K miles)..... Anyway, I reckon its crazy that car manufacturers use toothed belts that require massive major engine work to replace them at such short intervals. They should be guaranteed to last at least 250K miles or they should uses a timing chain instead, OR....mount the engine in a way that only requires the belt cover to be removed to replace it...similarly this would also mean water pumps would be easy to access...As a foot note, when bought from a neighbour, my 80K miles TIG suffered a very slow water loss since new. When I replaced the belt and pump, I noticed the big O ring had been pinched on assembly so there was a tiny nick on the outer edge. This coincided with coolant stains on the outer edge of the pump's orifice. It seemed the pump had been fitted carelessly at the factory and damaged the O ring...It now no longer looses coolant after I fitted the pump with its new O ring

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't see 140K miles as a 'short interval', nor 100K miles - but 'lifetime' is such a ridiculous term. The forum has discussed elsewhere the 'lifetime' fill of the various diffs and gearboxes - at your own peril!

Saying 140K miles is the expected lifetime of the car/engine says a lot, but not altogether surprising considering the minimal solidity/longevity of many engine and body components. The development model seems to be to save costs with vehicle automation/electronics, cut weight and not worry about longterm wear/ownership (> 10 years?).

Our new Tig needs a new windscreen - A booking at the end of Nov to fit a screen and find a techy to recalibrate the cameras - total cost will be over $1000 - what monster have we let into our garages?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Mike...I didn't make my point as clearly as I intended. The term "short intervals" related to the UK requirement of having the belt changed at 5 years whether the car has done 14 or 140K miles. If 140K miles was the ONLY dictate, I concede that is a reasonable amount of mileage. BUT....for many owners every 5 years is ridiculously low and many owners forced to change the belt at perhaps less than 50K miles...those owners would definitely include me. If I bought a £30,000 car new I would hate the idea in 5 years time when the engine was probably still "running-in" that I would need to take the car in to a garage for a not too skilled mechanic to do his worst and do serious complicated work to change the pump and belt and everything that it entails. How would I know the valve timing was spot on again as this can take ages to re-set perfectly once the belt is removed?...You are not going to persuade me that the mechanic is going to be that fussy regarding this critical issue. However if the car was sold with a genuine 140K miles guaranteed trouble free use without major work being required, well that would certainly be OK.

·
Registered
Tiguan 5N Facelift 2.0 TDI
61 Posts
My statement was that the manufacturer made a big oversight (unless it was intensional) with engine construction where when you wanna change water pump which price is about 30 dollars you have to dissamble everything just like you wanna change cambelt kit which costs cca 10 times more. And mechanic's labour and price is the same for changing cambelt and water pump or just water pump. Also dealer's policy that cambelt must be changed at 5 years whether you have driven 140k miles or just 30k miles is tottaly nonsense to me. No one could convince me that cambelt or any other part of timing belt kit would be in the same condition after 5 years whether your car has 100k miles or just 30k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Tiguan and this week my timing belt tensioner failed and VW won’t accept any form of liability for this part. Car is little over 3 years old and done 61k miles. VW say this should be changed at 140k or 5 years which ever is sooner. Anyone else had this problem? VW want £12k for a new engine.

the VW dealership where my car is at have advised me the particular part that has failed is a non-maintainable item but VW themselves not accepting it. (VW dealership are putting it in writing to me)

I am looking to build a case of similar issues as I believe this will go further.

many advice would be appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
507 Posts
So this is one of those strange ones as the car is OOW, has hit its OOW mileage but is clearly inside its 5 year/80K (I say 80K as thats what i read for my 2.0 TDI 4motion, its a mk1 but has mk2 engine in it) timing belt change.

I know there is a kit that includes all the belts, tensioners and waterpump, I know this as i just had mine done on 80K/almost 7 years.

Best you can hope for if OOW is contribution but if the tensioner is one that isn't even changed as part of the belt change, i would ask whats its life expectancy.

Good luck but it will be a fight for sure against VW

61 - 74 of 74 Posts