VW Tiguan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all i have been reading the threads above and i am a bit lost as when to change my timing belt i have Tig Match 4motion 2011 140bhp and 30,000 miles, in my service book it says change at 140,000 miles but does not mention any no of years. Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yep as Skard said, which would mean yours is due this year.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is possible to do it yourself if you know which end is which on a spanner, however, there are some special tools required. Maybe i'm getting too old, I would let VW do the job, the price you quoted is not unreasonable. ;-)

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
It's easier if you have a ramp (but not necessary), a VW TDI cam belt tool kit and an Auto data belt book handy. If you have any experience of replacing diesel cam belts then give it ago, just remember to change the water pump at the same time (try and get the cast iron impeller one.)

Mick

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The 1.4 TSI is chain driven

·
Registered
740 Posts
Guys I'm confused - are some tigs belt driven and some chain driven?
Yes. TDI's are have timing belts.

petrol engines (1.4 & 2.0) have chains

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just been quoted £500 for timing belt to be done by VW dealer. Its a 2012 Tiguan SE DSG Bluemotion '61' plate. Its only on 28000 miles. They told me it would be due in January. Is it ? or is it five years. And the price, WOW!

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
I have changed two 2010 cam belts this year one had done 50,000 miles and one 71,000 miles, and both six years old. On inspection both belts and pulleys looked like brand new, I am not saying take a chance on your belt change but it does seem like VW are being over cautious with there intervals IMHO.

Mick

·
Registered
47 Posts
VWUK issued the time frame after the old mk4 1.4 engines used to fail quiet often, to be fair the belt was always ok, but the plastic cover around the rollers used to snap and the belt would go loose

Since then on they have always put a 4 year time frame on it

In 2009 they changed the interval, 09 plate and before 4 years and 59 plate and onwards 5 years.

If you look at different countries specs, you will find that VWUK are the only ones that have a time frame on the belt

I'm yet to see a belt snap on a TDI due to belt failer in the 11 years of working on them, that said, would I chance it? Probably not

Im in cheshire if you want to get in touch ;-)

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you look at different countries specs, you will find that VWUK are the only ones that have a time frame on the belt

I'm yet to see a belt snap on a TDI due to belt failer in the 11 years of working on them, that said, would I chance it? Probably not
That's the snag really - VW UK have been so public about changing them that if you didn't and the belt (or tensioners etc) broke, you'd feel a right idiot. Not to mention very out of pocket as the consequences are horrible.

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
My mother Inlaws 2000 1.4 twin cam Polo auto's belt change is AFAIK 120.000 miles or ten years. I changed it this year at 20,000 miles and 16 years and it still looked like new.

Mick

·
Registered
119 Posts
My tiguan went for a service last Friday, 2.0 tdi 177ps,
I asked about the timing belt, I was told 210,000kms, I asked is that 210,00 or so many years, I was told no only 210,000,
I asked again when I collected the car, different person told me the exact same thing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, Im new to this forum so a hi from me in Wakefield UK

Interesting reading, I have just aquired a 58 plate late 2008 2.0 Tdi Auto with 4motion with 98,000 miles, looks from the service book and all the literature/receipts/vhc's I have with it, its never had a belt

its been serviced by JCT600 its whole life so im a little disapointed that they have never mentioned a new belt, Auto gearbox oil change or haldex oil change, No ticks in the service book to indicate its ever been changed or even advised..

its also interesting to read that only the UK has the or ?? years belt changes and not just a mileage change, my service book says 100.000 miles, luckily its not snapped, but I was a little worried of its age

Needless to say its in today for all 3 doing (not at JCT either)

Great forum by the way lots of usefull info

ChrisG

·
Registered
154 Posts
So if there is no requirement for the water pump to be changed, why do they offer the fixed price cam belt packages as one with and one without water pump?

My tiggy has the EA189 2.0TDi 140 engine and that is (I'm told) 140,000 miles or 5 years for the cam belt (and water pump recommended) so it's getting the belt and water pump done at its next service in a couple of weeks.... Strangely they dont include the auxiliary drive belt in this, thats an additional twenty or so pounds to replace.

I have driven Audi A3 and A4 for a few years prior to the tiggy and they were 50,000 miles / 5 years as i remember for the cam belt.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts