VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Got confirmation from VW UK today about the service schedule of the cambelt. I have Tiguan a 2011 20TDI and my friends Tiguan is a 2010 which the dealer said was the same schedule as mine before I got confirmation from VW.

2009 owners of the TDI have a different service schedule for the cambelt and it is 120,000miles or 4Years, VW UK changed the schedule for the cambelt for the TDI in 2010 so owners of 2010 TDI engines should get this confirmed by VW UK as to if their cambelt service is 120,000miles or 140,000miles 4 or 5 Years respectively as it's too close to the change over date to chance going an extra 20,000miles or 1year on the cambelt service. 2012's have different engines from what I hear so I would seek advice if you have a later engine or petrol as this could be Diesel specific. Can this be pinned some where please.

From...
Volkswagen UK Customer Services

Subject:
VW-2014/03-006560

Dear Mr XXXXXX

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the recommended interval for changing the timing belt and tensioner on your
Volkswagen Tiguan. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

I can confirm that the Volkswagen recommendation for the timing belt and tensioner change interval on your vehicle is every five
years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first. There is no Volkswagen recommendation for the water pump to be changed.

Some of our Retailers recommend changing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt is changed. The reason for this is
that the water pump is driven by the timing belt and is located in the same area of the engine bay. Therefore any future issues
with the water pump would necessitate the same amount of labour as changing the timing belt. Changing the two components
simultaneously is designed to reduce the possibility of incurring further expense.

I hope this information proves useful. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the
number below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXX Bains
Customer Relations Advisor
Volkswagen Customer Services Centre

Tel: 0800 083 3914
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.volkswagen.co.uk

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Very interesting. I had read last year that VW had contracted Continental to make them a 'lifetime' timing belts. After some serious digging, I discovered that their idea of 'lifetime' is actually 250,000 KM. It does make sense that VW is saying to change at 224,000 KM, to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep lifetime sure does mean different things Vauxhall's idea of lifetime warranty is 100,000miles

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
Yep lifetime sure does mean different things Vauxhall's idea of lifetime warranty is 100,000miles
Only if you have owned the car from new.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The aircraft manufacturers for obvious reasons have deemed certain components to be "Lifed Items". With cars it's usually run it till whatever breaks. With the exception perhaps of one or two items. Oils, filters, tyres, cam belts and these particularly because of the catastrophic consequences of them failing.

I have to say I tend to lean toward aircraft practice. Do I really want to leave a cam belt on for 10 or even 7 years, ( along with the water pump), just as I would change tyres at 5 yrs along with brake pads ( because I do so little mileage and the brake material can split from the pad backing),
I realise you could replace many other things probably needlessly but its a case of risk assessment .

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
Got confirmation from VW UK today about the service schedule of the cambelt. I have Tiguan a 2011 20TDI and my friends Tiguan is a 2010 which the dealer said was the same schedule as mine before I got confirmation from VW. I can't see any other TDI being different as it's the same engine from 2009 upto 2011. 2012's have different engines from what I hear so I would seek advice if you have a later engine or petrol as this could be Diesel specific. Can this be pinned some where please.

From...
Volkswagen UK Customer Services

Subject:
VW-2014/03-006560

Dear Mr XXXXXX

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the recommended interval for changing the timing belt and tensioner on your
Volkswagen Tiguan. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

I can confirm that the Volkswagen recommendation for the timing belt and tensioner change interval on your vehicle is every five
years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first.
Nice one. Got my niece to interrogate ELSA (the retailer and technical database). She confirmed today that an update went out 2 weeks ago, and still trickling down the chain. It's 140k or 5 years. Sooner if you off road a lot, tow or drive hard.

Rang my local dealer (JCT600) to see once again what they might say....."5 yrs or 50k miles"!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
There'd be a Worldwide shortage of timing belts if it was 50k!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
More info From VW. The OP has been been updated On the 12 Of March 2014 to reflect that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello every one, I just bought my Tiguan its 61 playe last Friday its has 112000 on clock I asked the dealer if timing been done for it and they said now on this car need to do it when its 130000, the second day I went to VW in Cardiff and they said it every 60000 or 5 years , I know an man who used to work before in VW and now he got his own garage he told its every 120000 !! So I m realy lost here any advice to me please thanks

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
welcome to the forum. On the year of your car the recommended cam belt change interval is at 5 years or 140k miles, whichever soonest-well that's what ELSAWIN said for mine (60 plate/2011 model)! For older models it is every 5 years/60k miles.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and glad you found us. Why don't you plant a flag for Cardiff in the TIggy map of the world-see my signature for links.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As FB said mine is also a 2011 and 140000miles or 5years but I'm sure I heard whispers of it increasing not sure if your contacts could shead any light on this FB?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Changed my belt at 175,000KM, don't have my calculator handy, I'll let somebody else do the conversion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I dont think I'd be happy running a belt to 140K miles, in previous VW Tdis I changed around the 50K mark. Given what they suggest I think between 60-70K is what I'll be doing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't bother questioning it , if it's 5years old change it , it cost me £260 at main dealer , if it breaks then take it to the scrap yard

·
Registered
992 Posts
Very interesting. I had read last year that VW had contracted Continental to make them a 'lifetime' timing belts. After some serious digging, I discovered that their idea of 'lifetime' is actually 250,000 KM. It does make sense that VW is saying to change at 224,000 KM, to be on the safe side.
I think it's lifetime in the EA288 engine in the newer 150 and 184 EU6 engines.

it cost me £260 at main dealer
That's the lowest price I've ever seen for a VW dealer cambelt change!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts