VW Tiguan Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rory

i was willing to pay the £549 VW advertise online for cambelt/water pump change but when they phoned back saying your engine has an electric water pump and we wouldn't change that under fixed price as there is more labour involved and we would just change the belt for £494 I was pretty shocked .

It's switchable, not electric per se. The pump is dearer than a non-switchable one but not massively so.

It should be the standard £549 to do it. I got charged £499 last year as they said they'd made a mistake quoting, although I don't recall being quoted a price, I was just going off the VW website fixed price.

It would have been slightly cheaper at our local well-regarded, but expensive, indie, and I've seen suggestions that some indies will do it for £350.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Had Tig's cambelt & water pump changed just over 2 weeks ago at the Dealership concurrently with the MOT. Whilst there was no visible sign of any work having been done, the car stank of diesel and it had to go back to tighten up the fuel supply pipes and to clean the seepage area ...

Invoice says all parts changed, so, if there has been any funny business and the engine departs this mortal coil, VW will be invited to stump up for a replacement.

The Dealership has been fair in the maintenance/servicing. My gripe was with the misleading info from the Sales Dept about the towbar fitting and failure to code so that the satnav doesn't quote an arrival time based on average speed of 70mph when towing a caravan ...

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why do some of you use garages you clearly don’t trust?
I find a garage that I trust and it eliminates any doubt about the work being completed to a high standard.
Most of the time the work done is not clearly visible for various reasons.
As for someone commenting on there being no visible marks or smudges or the like I would not expect there to be if it‘s a decent garage.
The only way that you can guarantee the work being done without question is to do it yourself.
Even if the garage shows you some old parts it proves nothing other than here is some old bits from a car. Most people wouldn’t know if it is off their vehicle unless it had been marked to check the trustworthyness of the garage.

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
I have followed a friend from dealer to dealer shop to shop and now he has his own shop. Once you find a trustworthy person knowing the job will be done right it make a huge difference. While I do 90% of my own work there are still times more skill or tools are needed. I have another friend who will spend days getting estimates and going with a cut rate shop then spend months complaining he got shotty work.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts