VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my tiguan in to main dealer for service mot and cambelt change with water pump. Its not that I dont trust main dealers but I am always wary since one invoice for spark plugs on a diesel made me very distrusting. Anyway they say they changed the belt and the water pump, But I can see no evidence at all. Can someone tell me exactly where the water pump is, I always thought it was the same as other cars but having googled and youtubed it, it appears that its on the complete opposite side to the cam belt. Can someone point me in the right direction. Is there a way to prove visually that the belt and pump were actually changed apart from the invoice. Any help as always greatly appreciated. thanks all. keep safe

·
Registered
176 Posts
I replaced the Cambelt and water pump in my Tiguan Tdi 2.0 4-motion a few months ago.

There is not much visible evidence that it has been replaced whne you look under the

bonnet.

The cambelt is at the left hand side of the engine. There is a black plastic cover, it's behind it.

There are more covers lower down, below the engine mount.

The water pump is not visible untill these covers are removed.

If you remove the top cover you will be able to see the cambelt, if it s new the printing on the top side (outer face of the belt) will still be visible, the printing wears off after a few hundred miles.

You will have to delve a bit deeper to see the water pump. If its new it should look clean, my old one had reds stains from the coolant leak near the bottom & had some corrosion on it.

Did they fit a complete cambelt kit? There is a tensioner and several pulleys that should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
I always expect the agent to show me the old parts when I pick up the vehicle. I realise that can be faked as well but it’s unlikely at a main dealer. Even when I had the battery replaced in my iPhone the tech guys showed me the old battery and the test results for it and for the phone with the new one in place. The old battery was stapled in a bag to the test sheets and the account. If they can do it for a phone they can do it for a car !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iangary thanks I might have a look this week, there is no reason that they would not do it but i just cannot trust them to do it right, I had a problem with my previous tiggy took it to a main dealer with a leak in boot and they put on the warranty bill that they had replaced the rear lens cluster when I questioned them they said they did not and it was an error on the invoice to VW Warranty, Yeah Right!! . At least I have a 2 years parts warranty from them so lets see. I still dont understand why they say you should replace the water pump when changing the cam belt as all the youtube videos I have seen show the water pump on the opposite side unless thats just the petrol versions. I need to see an exploded view somewhere. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
On earlier petrols and pretty much all TDI motors the water pump is driven off the timing belt. And it should be replaced regardless when the belts changed. It's just part of the kit.

·
Registered
972 Posts
. Anyway they say they changed the belt and the water pump, But I can see no evidence at all.
I made the same comment in a post a few weeks ago when ours was done - there's not a smudge in the dust on the engine cover or airbox! It was the same when they changed the fuel filter - how can it be done without leaving the slightest splash of diesel?

However the pump does look new and the coolant is clean - so I'm reasonably sure it was done. The pump is on the right side of the engine, high up. It's at the other end on the EA888 petrol engines.

It's a bit of a nonsense anyway - VW in Germany told me the cambelt is good for 210,000kms. Seems it's only VW UK that makes us feel we have to change them at 5yrs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rory thanks for that do t think I shall get up 210000 km but might have it gone in Germany next time ha ha cheers

·
Registered
758 Posts
I made the same comment in a post a few weeks ago when ours was done - there's not a smudge in the dust on the engine cover or airbox! It was the same when they changed the fuel filter - how can it be done without leaving the slightest splash of diesel?

However the pump does look new and the coolant is clean - so I'm reasonably sure it was done. The pump is on the right side of the engine, high up. It's at the other end on the EA888 petrol engines.

It's a bit of a nonsense anyway - VW in Germany told me the cambelt is good for 210,000kms. Seems it's only VW UK that makes us feel we have to change them at 5yrs.
I imagine the reasoning is if a critical item lasts 200,000kms, replacing it at half that is a worthwhile expense - as opposed to a wrecked engine. I was happy not to take the risk, however remote.

I have also just been told by an indy that after 100,000kms it is worth changing the oil every 10,000kms.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Iangary thanks I might have a look this week, there is no reason that they would not do it but i just cannot trust them to do it right, I had a problem with my previous tiggy took it to a main dealer with a leak in boot and they put on the warranty bill that they had replaced the rear lens cluster when I questioned them they said they did not and it was an error on the invoice to VW Warranty, Yeah Right!! . At least I have a 2 years parts warranty from them so lets see. I still dont understand why they say you should replace the water pump when changing the cam belt as all the youtube videos I have seen show the water pump on the opposite side unless thats just the petrol versions. I need to see an exploded view somewhere. Thanks for your help.
My Tig is a Tdi, water pump driven by the cambelt. Car had only done 64,000 miles but was 7 years old.

VW recommend 210,000kms (140,000miles) or seven years which ever comes first.

So mine was due since it was 8 years old. Service history did not show a cambelt change.

It seemed to be loosing coolant from the water pump, so that needed changing anyway.

I got a complete kit (Dayco) including a water pump for £120. Also needed timng tools that cost £25.

Took me just over a day to get hte job done.

Water pump was leeaking (see photo), belt did not look very old, there were paint timing marks on the cams, so I think it had been replaced recently. Tensioners and rollers had not been replaced. One of the rollers was loose, bolt had not been tightened - could have been bad if it had got worse.

When I go tit MOTd I wa schatting t the tester, he said most belts get changed early on VW/Audi/Skoda because the waterpumps fil and need doing, so may as well replace the belt at eh same time.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my Tiguan 2 wks ago at the same time as a service and MOT. The car is 5yrs old and VW recommend 5Yys or 120,000 mls, I had done 29,500 mls, but I wasn't going to risk ruining the engine, even though the belt etc was probably OK. The only way I could tell they had done any work on the engine was because the plastic cover on top of the engine was not fitted properly, or they left it like that to fool me!

Roy

·
Registered
972 Posts
My Tig is a Tdi, water pump driven by the cambelt. Car had only done 64,000 miles but was 7 years old.

VW recommend 210,000kms (140,000miles) or seven years which ever comes first.
VW UK say 5yrs (4yrs on pre-2009 cars).

Not sure when the switchable coolant pumps came in - our EA288 EU6 engine has one - but they are notorious for leaking.

I suppose there is an argument that changing the cambelt early prevents the catastrophic damage that happens if it fails, but you could say that about other parts of the car. 5 years (with low miles) doesn't seem a reasonable service life for such a component.

Reactions: marchie

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think the latest 2.0 ltr diesels are every four yrs. A mate of mine has 19 plate VW, and he's been told to change it every 4 yrs, a nice little earner for the VW garages!

Roy

·
Registered
972 Posts
Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
972 Posts
....., at £120 for the kit its worth it for peace of mind.
I think the switchable pumps on the later engines are well over £100 - at least at VW prices, not sure if after-market versions are available.

Great if you enjoy doing it yourself - years ago I'd have a go at anything but these days I leave it to garages. It seems to be ~£500 job now, especially if they use VW parts, which even my indie does as he can offer the extended guarantee then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new here I have a 2016 Tiguan with 27000miles I booked it in for a cambelt and water pump change this week with my local vw maindealer thinking it would be there online price of £549 only to be told it would be £749 as it has an electrical water pump and is more expensive then the mechanical ones and is more labour intensive has anybody else come across this?

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
There are 2 water pumps. One is mechanical driven by the cam belt and the other is more of an after cooler that uses the battery to run after the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am being told the cambelt has an electric water pump attached which has to be electronically bled via a software system
It's switchable, not electric per se. The pump is dearer than a non-switchable one but not massively so.

It should be the standard £549 to do it. I got charged £499 last year as they said they'd made a mistake quoting, although I don't recall being quoted a price, I was just going off the VW website fixed price.

It would have been slightly cheaper at our local well-regarded, but expensive, indie, and I've seen suggestions that some indies will do it for £350.

Reactions: Old Dog
1 - 20 of 24 Posts