VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a run down to Norfolk on Sunday to visit family (and to give the Tig a run) I am not normally a "tailgater" and I think the brakes on the Tig are better than on my CRV, but I gave myself a fright coming up to a roundabout outside of Kings Lynn. I braked and initially the brakes bit as normal then they seemed to "stay the same", ther's a bit in the middle of the braking after the initial bite and before you come to a stop where it feels "dead" It's hard to describe but it didn't feel as it was slowing me down any quicker (it felt like I had half on the brake and half on the throttle) Anyway I couldn't see anything wrong so I am monitoring the situation. Doesn't happen around town. I'm hoping they just need bedding in but it's something to be aware of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting! Nothing similar on my Tiguan SE I'm glad to say! Bedding in could well be the issue here.... and of course, 'pump' the brake in the process to keep up the servo.

I'm still trying hard to familiarize myself with the electronic hand-brake and brake assist!

T

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could this have been the ABS?

I remember the first time I braked in a car with ABS I thought the brakes had failed, it felt like it was metal on metal but without the grating noise rather than the normal grip feel of braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've definately had this as well, and it's quite disconcerting. Happened to me when I was exiting the motorway, so was coming down an off ramp at (relatively) high speed. The initial bite of the brakes felt ok, but the retardation of the car wasn't linear. In the end I was resorting to engine braking to help bring the speed of the car down. Around town the brakes feel strong and keen, but slowing from high speed seems variable. No indication that ABS was activated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the same thing as well. Brakes feel fine most if the time but on a couple of occasions at speed there doesn't seem to be enough resistance after the initial slow-down. The last time it happened was coming down a (not very steep) hill onto a roundabout. It certainly slowed me down for the rest of the journey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had this problem on 3 occasions now and it is quite frightening. The first two incidents were when I was driving. The first was at the end of a 200mile + drive as I was slowing from about 60mph to make a RH turn. Luckily there was nothing in front of me. The car initially began to slow down but as I tried to brake harder the pedal went rock hard and simply did not respond to increased pedal pressure and I simply overshot the turn. A similar incident occurred shorly afterwards This time it was a right turn at the end of a longish descent. Same symptoms and luckily nothing in front of me. Somewhat shaken I immediately took the car back to the dealer for a check but nothing untoward was found.

The latest incident happened on Xmas Eve 2010 on the A38 Derby Ring Road. This time my wife was driving and approaching stationary traffic at a roundabout. Again the car began to slow down (from about 70mph) but did not respond to increased pedal pressure. This time an accident looked to be inevitable. It was averted at the last minute when my wife, much shaken, pumped the brake pedal once which restored normal braking - just in time! Again the dealer could find no fault but as a precautionary measure replaced the clutch as the pedal "did not feel right and as the brake and clutch pedal share the same cross shaft they felt this might provide an answer"! I have to say the new clutch has improved the driving experience but am sceptical that was the cause of the problem. I don't think the dealer does either as they have left the job sheet open for further investigation.

Apparently VW are not aware of any braking problem of this nature with Tigs.

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
no brake fade experience with my DSG for info

·
Registered
259 Posts
Brake fade really? I have experienced it once with my Lotus Exige after a 20 min track session, but never on the road, but I had a leaking brake servo on an Audi A3 a couple of year ago, which had the same type of effect, you could hear it hiss as the engine was running. Bad news is it was an engine out job to replace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brake fade really? I have experienced it once with my Lotus Exige after a 20 min track session, but never on the road, but I had a leaking brake servo on an Audi A3 a couple of year ago, which had the same type of effect, you could hear it hiss as the engine was running. Bad news is it was an engine out job to replace
I agree it probably isn't brake fade as reapplying the brakes appears to restore normal braking. It is an intermittent problem and so is difficult for the dealer to track down. It looks as if the problem could be associated with the ABS/EBD electonics. Whatever the cause it could have dire consequences in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a run down to Norfolk on Sunday to visit family (and to give the Tig a run) I am not normally a "tailgater" and I think the brakes on the Tig are better than on my CRV, but I gave myself a fright coming up to a roundabout outside of Kings Lynn. I braked and initially the brakes bit as normal then they seemed to "stay the same", ther's a bit in the middle of the braking after the initial bite and before you come to a stop where it feels "dead" It's hard to describe but it didn't feel as it was slowing me down any quicker (it felt like I had half on the brake and half on the throttle) Anyway I couldn't see anything wrong so I am monitoring the situation. Doesn't happen around town. I'm hoping they just need bedding in but it's something to be aware of.
I can go you one better. I have a 2010 Tiguan and from the very beginning I have had brake problems. First week, car did not stop, rolled
into busy intersection, brakes have always been spongy from day one, must pump to get firm again. Last week I was completely stopped behind
a vehicle with foot on brake, brakes slowly let go I rolled into the car infront of me, making a mark on his bumper. Thank goodness I was
not traveling at any speed. Naturally dealer did testing with the computers and found nothing. I contacted VW of America which was a waste
of my time, also filed a complaint with NHSA, this is a huge problem for me. Dealership is talking to me but making no offers that I feel
are going to make this all go away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can go you one better. I have a 2010 Tiguan and from the very beginning I have had brake problems. First week, car did not stop, rolled
into busy intersection, brakes have always been spongy from day one, must pump to get firm again. Last week I was completely stopped behind
a vehicle with foot on brake, brakes slowly let go I rolled into the car infront of me, making a mark on his bumper. Thank goodness I was
not traveling at any speed. Naturally dealer did testing with the computers and found nothing. I contacted VW of America which was a waste
of my time, also filed a complaint with NHSA, this is a huge problem for me. Dealership is talking to me but making no offers that I feel

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have since taken up the braking problem directly with VW. The customer relations manager for VW's North of England area confirmed that another owner had raised similar concerns to mine. He took the matter up with VW in Germany but got nowhere. VW maintains it is not aware of any braking problems on Tiguans.
It is interesting that you feel the brakes "relax" after initial application of the brake pedal. I have often felt someting like this happens during light "check" braking requiring heavier pressure on the pedal to get things under control. My worry now is that my driving style is altering to take account of the variable braking performance without being able get to the bottom of the problem. An accident waiting to happen?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have since taken up the braking problem directly with VW. The customer relations manager for VW's North of England area confirmed that another owner had raised similar concerns to mine. He took the matter up with VW in Germany but got nowhere. VW maintains it is not aware of any braking problems on Tiguans.
It is interesting that you feel the brakes "relax" after initial application of the brake pedal. I have often felt someting like this happens during light "check" braking requiring heavier pressure on the pedal to get things under control. My worry now is that my driving style is altering to take account of the variable braking performance without being able get to the bottom of the problem. An accident waiting to happen?
No problem with the brakes on my tig, but do I wonder if you have a small leak on the servo (if the tig still has one), going back a few years I had a new ford, which wouldn't stop easily oneday (it was like trying to stop the car with the engine turned off), ford took the car back and changed the servo without question (even though they couldn't replicate the problem), the braking system doesn't have that many sensors so am not suprised that a scan wouldn't pick anything up.

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since my problems have occurred I have also contacted VW of American with no luck naturally, all they seem to do is call the dealership and find
out what they found, in my case nothing naturally. I also reported the incident to NHSA as I feel this can be a potential problem for someone down the line. I am not happy, I spend a good deal of money on my car and now I do not feel safe to drive it. If the dealership does not come up with some sort of exchange I am going to trade this car fast. Like in the next few months when the 2012's come out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since my problems have occurred I have also contacted VW of American with no luck naturally, all they seem to do is call the dealership and find
out what they found, in my case nothing naturally. I also reported the incident to NHSA as I feel this can be a potential problem for someone down the line. I am not happy, I spend a good deal of money on my car and now I do not feel safe to drive it. If the dealership does not come up with some sort of exchange I am going to trade this car fast. Like in the next few months when the 2012's come out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Further to my earler posts on this problem. I went back to my local dealer earlier this week with a transmission noise problem (at 24k miles!) Whilst I was there I took the opportunity to raise the brake issue once again. To my surprise the problem was taken a bit more seriously than before. It was suggested that the brake transfer valve (whatever that is!)may be at the root of the problem. A new valve was fitted yesterday together with a new propshaft bearing to cure the transmission noise. The transmission noise has gone as has a vibration on the steering wheel ( which I thought was a wheel balance problem but obviously it was not). I've not had a chance to put the brakes to any serious test as yet and cannot really say that they feel any different - time will tell. I'll report back in due course.

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
Further to my earler posts on this problem. I went back to my local dealer earlier this week with a transmission noise problem (at 24k miles!) Whilst I was there I took the opportunity to raise the brake issue once again. To my surprise the problem was taken a bit more seriously than before. It was suggested that the brake transfer valve (whatever that is!)may be at the root of the problem. A new valve was fitted yesterday together with a new propshaft bearing to cure the transmission noise. The transmission noise has gone as has a vibration on the steering wheel ( which I thought was a wheel balance problem but obviously it was not). I've not had a chance to put the brakes to any serious test as yet and cannot really say that they feel any different - time will tell. I'll report back in due course.
thanks for the update; it's what MAKES this forum

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Thanks for updating us. I really have no confidence in my brakes at high speed and by that I mean at 35-40mph plus. Just the other day I had to overshoot a zebra crossing doing only 35mph as I didn't feel I could stop in time!
That is a real emergency situation. As mentioned before what I feel through the brake pedal is that initially the car slows down but the pedal then starts to feel stiff and won't stop the car any quicker. If you release then re-apply in a fraction of a second it helps but in the event of emergency braking, where a split second can make all the difference, who the hell takes their foot off the brakes? It's a natural reaction to simply "slam on the anchors". It's really like the throttle is still on whilst you're braking as it feels like you're battling with the car to come to a rest!

All the bad feedback from VW is putting me off going to the dealer to report this and I don't want to be without my car for days whilst they check it out, so I'm eager to see how you get on testing your brakes following the part change.

BTW I have the 140 DSG.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for updating us. I really have no confidence in my brakes at high speed and by that I mean at 35-40mph plus. Just the other day I had to overshoot a zebra crossing doing only 35mph as I didn't feel I could stop in time!
That is a real emergency situation. As mentioned before what I feel through the brake pedal is that initially the car slows down but the pedal then starts to feel stiff and won't stop the car any quicker. If you release then re-apply in a fraction of a second it helps but in the event of emergency braking, where a split second can make all the difference, who the hell takes their foot off the brakes? It's a natural reaction to simply "slam on the anchors". It's really like the throttle is still on whilst you're braking as it feels like you're battling with the car to come to a rest!

All the bad feedback from VW is putting me off going to the dealer to report this and I don't want to be without my car for days whilst they check it out, so I'm eager to see how you get on testing your brakes following the part change.

BTW I have the 140 DSG.
Sounds scary to me, Naresh. I'd be round to the dealers like shot. What you ( and others ) describe, is nothing like my own experience of the Tig. It just seems to brake like any other modern car - even under extreme braking.

You prompted me to go and have a play on a local main road; no traffic, dry, good surface.

Two goes of very hard braking from 70mph to zero and two full emergency stops from 40mph to zero.

I'd describe the brakes as excellent, and with normal braking characteristics, in so much as the deceleration increased as the speed fell off, the car felt under control, and I felt confident that the pleasingly short stopping distance could be relied on to get me out of any trouble I might get myself into.

There was no sign of brake fade, though there was a strong smell of over-heated brake pads. So I gave up.

Make an old man happy - get it checked out, I'd hate to see the dazzle taken off the bling!

·
Registered
259 Posts
My brakes aren't poor, and will stop the car from speed in an emergency no problem, but they are very dificult to judge the right pressure to use and dosen't react well to minor changes in pressure in light braking situations. It's done it from new, and I think I have learnt the art now, but you should hear the complaints from the kids when the wife gets the rare chance to drive my car

Chris.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts