VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed earlier this week that my rear brake discs are worn unevenly and around the disc face some of the disc that is not so worn is heavily pitted with rust. There is plenty of meat left on the pads.
The front discs are as good as new and absolutely no signs of uneven wear and an even clean ground surface with no sings of rust pitting.
The car has only done 20,000 miles and is only 20 months old from build date and 19 months old from first registration.
I dropped into to my local VW dealer and asked the service manager to take a look. He agreed the rear discs are not in good condition and they plus the pads need replacing. The the surprise was he advised this would not be done under VW warranty as it is normal wear and tear.
He said this can often be a result of the car sitting for some time so the discs get pitted. He suggested that maybe during the car's lifetime it may have happened.
The car was built in Dec 2014 and first registered January 2015 and used as a company car by the workshop manager of a VW dealer. He used the car daily racking up just over 5,000 miles in the 2 months he had the car upto the day I purchased direct from the that dealer.
I don't do a lot of mileage with the car now showing 20,000 miles total. I have done 15,000 in 19 months being a mixture of country road and motorway travel. Saying all that the car has never sat unused for any lengthy period to my knowledge.
I'm not a heavy footed driver and in trying to drive economically I try not to brake hard. Seems this could be the problem as the service manager did say the brakes need to be worked hard regularly to avoid the pitting. By the way I did not tell him I am a careful driver. The service manager did suggest that a boy racer type of driver would not have this problem.
Bottom line is my local dealer has advised that the VW warranty definitely does not cover this.
I advised him I would take it up with VW customer service and see what they say.

Has anyone experienced similar wear and damage just to the rear discs? Did you manage to get repaired under warranty or at least a contribution to the repair?

Seems I need to drive more aggressively to avoid expensive disc and pad replacements every 20,000 miles. It's probably cheaper to drive less economically and pollute the planet more. Seems VWs are not designed to minimize pollution in many different ways not just having creative software.

Maybe I can take advantage of the VW emission scandal and get some good customer care from VW. The customer services is not open until Monday morning so I will let you all know how I get on later in the week.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
We have had several discussions here on the topic. what you have been told is correct. Disc brakes need to be worked hard. Being gentle will always lead to the condition you are experiencing. You might get some good will out of VW, but I agree with the service advisor on the evaluation. Even though there is some pad left, they have worn to the contour of the rotors and if used on the new pads will not provide adequate braking until they wear further. Then you would have minimal pad, have to go back to get them changed and pay for labour twice. Pads and rotors at the same time is always advised.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have had several discussions here on the topic. what you have been told is correct. Disc brakes need to be worked hard. Being gentle will always lead to the condition you are experiencing. You might get some good will out of VW, but I agree with the service advisor on the evaluation. Even though there is some pad left, they have worn to the contour of the rotors and if used on the new pads will not provide adequate braking until they wear further. Then you would have minimal pad, have to go back to get them changed and pay for labour twice. Pads and rotors at the same time is always advised.
Thanks Shawng, I will definitely have discs and pads replaced. Going to be cheeky and see if I can get a least a contribution for the cost from VW customer service. Hoping they might like to be generous given the need to improve their customer relations. Always worth asking.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just a difference in approach - my wife previously had a Jazz and Honda changed the rear discs and pads under warranty at 3yrs old "as they looked tatty".

·
myTiguan Master
4,756 Posts
Just a difference in approach - my wife previously had a Jazz and Honda changed the rear discs and pads under warranty at 3yrs old "as they looked tatty".
I don't think VW will be able to afford it the way things are going lol.

Mick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm keen to hear from you Tig owners out there how many miles (or kms) your Brake discs have lasted before needing replacement.

Also do you see more problems with rear discs than front?

Please share experiences.

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
My vehicle is now 5 yrs old with 56k miles on the clock. Still on original pads and discs. At last service (March 2014) wear was 40% all round. At MOT on 1st September this year all good still.

·
Registered
459 Posts
170000km, I am now on the second set of pads, will probably fit new set of discs next summer. Front pads were gone sooner, only did the rear pads last year at about 150000km.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The car was built in Dec 2014 and first registered January 2015 and used as a company car by the workshop manager of a VW dealer. He used the car daily racking up just over 5,000 miles in the 2 months he had the car upto the day I purchased direct from the that dealer.
I don't do a lot of mileage with the car now showing 20,000 miles total. I have done 15,000 in 19 months being a mixture of country road and motorway travel. Saying all that the car has never sat unused for any lengthy period to my knowledge.
I think the reason for uneven wear is the pads stick in the calipers due to infrequent and/or gentle use, but I'm surprised this has happened after just 20 months especially with the car being regularly used.

Once the disc starts to rust the rust rubs away the pad so never gets any pressure on it to clean it up. My next door neighbour has a Porsche which he only uses at weekends and he has to make a point of doing a series of very hard stops to clean the discs everytime he uses it. Presumeably that shortens the tyre life.

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
Was on original pads & discs for almost 4 years and 78,000kms on our first Tig before changing it for a 2015. It still had room to go before replacing any brake parts.

Cheers!

·
myTiguan Master
4,756 Posts
Did my rear pads this year at 52k and no disc corrosion.

Mick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.
I have taken this up with VW customer services and the car is in the local dealer on Friday next week for the reported issue to be investigated. As discs and pads are considered to be wear and tear parts they are not covered by warranty, however having to replace after only 20,000 miles and 20 months I would not consider this to be normal wear and tear.
I will update once the investigation is complete.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update- my car is booked in tomorrow morning for a service and have the rear discs sorted. This afternoon I had a call from VW customer services to check that the car was still booked in and advise what they were going to do. She explained that the discs and pads are not covered under warranty as they are wear and tear. This I knew and accept is their T&Cs.
I explained my disbelief that I need to change the discs and pads at such low mileage and age, and as a good customer services person does, she advised she understood and would get in touch with the dealer and see what they could do.
Within 20 minutes the dealer called to advise they could make a reduced cost and we agreed quickly a 50% reduction in the cost of the replacement.
So hopefully all goes well tomorrow and I will be able to report back to say VW UK and VW Corkill Customer Service and care on this occasion has been fantastic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All went well with the service and discs & pads replacement today.
Can't fault the customer service and care from both VW UK and my local dealer VW Corkill Southport.
Saved £124.50 by asking UK customer care to offer help with the discs and pads.
Maybe they are a bit soft with the diesel gate issues.

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
Now you can tale yourself and the Mrs/gf out for a nice supper and a bottle of wine. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Glad you're pleased but I see it as you were made to chase around by the dealer & VW and you ended up spending £125 that you shouldn't have had to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just got my Tiguan back from 3rd oil change at 11K. They told me that there is no sign of wear on my brake pads yet. Those 11K miles half are city driving so I was expecting at least maybe 10 percent wear on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
WOW, 3rd oil change after only 11,000 miles. I'm guessing the first was after 1,000 and then after each 5,000 on the clock. Keen maintenance like this will keep your engine running nicely for many years to come. :)

Good one!

Old Dog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts