VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2019 SE 4 motion that has the original battery in it and 22,000 miles. My check engine light came on last week and I got a code U3501 which is pointing to the battery. (hoping this is actually the issue) I went to Autozone and an independent mechanic and their battery tester showed that the battery is bad. Isn't it unusual for a battery to go bad this quickly. My last two cars I had the batteries for over 5 years... Also, I can't believe that they want $70 without tax to install a battery at the dealership for an 8 minute job, but Autozone wouldn't change it because they had something in the system that said tiguans were complicated...sigh...

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
That's not a whole lot of milage for the age, has it been idle a lot? This is quite common at the moment with cars being used less during lockdown, as the system is designed to be frequently charging the battery. It may well be worth you just getting a battery charger to top it up and see how it lasts.

The VW's have an intelligent charging system. As the battery ages the car modifies the charging regime. When the battery is replaced, the car needs coding applying to tell it it's a new battery in order to reset this regime. I'm guessing this is what they're 'scared' of so won't touch it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car in January with 16,000 miles on it. The owner went short distances from his house to his job. I put 6,000 miles on it in 10 months. I'm more worried about the check engine light which strangely enough comes on and off. And when I ran the code it came up with the battery. That's what made me check the charge on the battery. It hasn't died on me but I'm thinking that's why it keeps giving me a random check engine code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the car in January with 16,000 miles on it. The owner went short distances from his house to his job. I put 6,000 miles on it in 10 months. I'm more worried about the check engine light which strangely enough comes on and off. And when I ran the code it came up with the battery. That's what made me check the charge on the battery. It hasn't died on me.
I bought the car in January with 16,000 miles on it. The owner went short distances from his house to his job. I put 6,000 miles on it in 10 months. I'm more worried about the check engine light which strangely enough comes on and off. And when I ran the code it came up with the battery. That's what made me check the charge on the battery. It hasn't died on me but I'm thinking that's why it keeps giving me a random check engine code.

That's not a whole lot of milage for the age, has it been idle a lot? This is quite common at the moment with cars being used less during lockdown, as the system is designed to be frequently charging the battery. It may well be worth you just getting a battery charger to top it up and see how it lasts.

The VW's have an intelligent charging system. As the battery ages the car modifies the charging regime. When the battery is replaced, the car needs coding applying to tell it it's a new battery in order to reset this regime. I'm guessing this is what they're 'scared' of so won't touch it.
Is it possible to reset the code ourselves? Or does it need some sort of pin- can't find anything in the paperwork...

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
It is possible with a programming device, but you need to be able to program. Most battery places here in the UK and roadside assistance can do it as well as all dealers. It may just be the shop you went to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts