VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My auto Sport tdi is on order but I am still not sure on the exact functionality of the auto-hold function, in conjunction with the auto gearbox. I can understand the requirement on a manual but not the the autobox.

Cheers

Des

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Do you mean the auto-hold on the handbrake ? If so, what it does is apply the handbrake for you when you stop, even on a steep hill, so you don't roll backwards, then you just drive away and it automatically lets the brakes off for you !!! Clever little Tig

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats what a Tiptronic auto box does anyway - after braking on a hill you take your foot off the brake and it holds the car stationary until you press the accelerator...

I suspect the difference is in it's operation as a parking brake rather than the auto-hold which us auto drivers already enjoy. If I put my auto in park the car rocks a bit and doesn't feel like a "proper" parking brake, I'm hoping the Tig brake does as I usually park on a slope and wouldn't trust the auto-park to do the job normally.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find the auto hold very useful in traffic just to make sure if you lift your foot lightly off the brake you dont roll.

The auto hold has to be set each time you start the engine and cancels when turned off so you cant leave it on all the time.

As you rightly say the tiptronic box doesnt let you roll back anyway, at least it never has with me.

The auto hold does not work as a parking brake but the electronic brake holds the car on Hard Knott pass, which is 1 in 3 so you should be OK !!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts