VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17 years and 8 vehicles later, I’ve finally found my biggest regret: ‘20 R-Line. These things are designed so poorly, through and through, I can’t understand how they are still a company. Changed out the speakers and added an amp to the head unit because the stock audio is pathetic. I had better sound in ‘93 Camry than this thing. Anyway, DON’T MODIFY ANYTHING. It appears as though VW designs their vehicles to allow as much rain as possible into every corner and crevice, and if you change out the speakers, it will pour right through. Fought with the dealer and several people in corporate, all said I voided warranty for swapping out speakers and it would minimally be $5k to dismantle and rid the interior of water damage. Yet, they were stumped when I asked them to think logically about how water could possibly build up so much inside a door that it came through a speaker. I’ve talked to every single person in the automotive and car audio world and not one has ever heard of water coming through speakers. Beyond this BS, the windshield has already cracked twice, the rotors build massive corrosion with the slightest hint of humidity, the “safety” system has slammed the brakes to the floor on 7 different occasions where I was in no danger whatsoever, and I haven’t gotten over 24mpg at any given time, even on straight highway. I’m sure I could go on for another 3,000 words, but you probably stopped reading halfway through. Anyway, that’s my story. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there. Just a thought. I had a speaker blow on my '13 plate Tiguan. Rear right door. I think I damaged the seal on the aluminium pad behind the door card which ultimately caused water ingress. I resealed it using dum dum sealer on a roll (stays gooey and soft) and tightened the torques up to make it squeeze tight to form a seal. Touch wood it's been good for over 2yrs. Might be worth a look?

If ur jetwashing the car you'll be surprised how it travels behind the weather strips on the outside of the door and into the inners and out from the rear of the door card and potentially on your case the speaker. Also heavy rain. This happened on mine too!! Wet carpets aren't cool

1 - 2 of 2 Posts