VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the typical story. The question is in the next paragraph if you'd rather skip the narrative. I've been dealing with the P0299 code on and off for some time now. Already replaced the diverter valve a while back, which helped for some time but now the code is back. It used to be intermittent (I would clear it and might not come back for a few months) but now it comes back after a few miles. I also recently tried lubricating the connection where the wastegate actuator arm connects to the car body (sorry, don't know the technical term, but it's the far end of the arm) since I heard this joint sometimes sticks. I was able to lubricate it and move it back and forth (it springs back appropriately) but the code still came back after clearing it. The car actually drives fine otherwise, although slightly underpowered. It's not a drastic difference and there are no other issues, but we're anticipating a cross-country drive next spring so I took it in to the dealer. After spending a suspiciously short amount of time diagnosing it, they came back saying the turbo needs to be replaced and that it would be $3700 for parts and labor. I'm planning on taking it to a shop I trust more who quoted me much less if it's indeed the turbo.

Now to my question. Does anyone have any recommendations for non-OEM turbo replacements for this model that might be cheaper? We're not going to keep the car for more than another year, until we move across the country and can get my wife something new. I'd rather not put more money into it than I have to, especially if the VW parts seem low quality as it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts