VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, time to use your experiences. I haven't ordered the VW satnav for my Tig as I think, after my Touareg expeience, that they are very useful but massively overpriced for what they offer. I will therefore be looking at a dashtop one. I currently have a Road Angel camera warning thingy sitting on my dash and I know VW show the Road Angel 7000 & 9000 in their price lists as ?199 & ?299 respectively. I've been happy with Road Angel products in the past, but what other SatNav/Camera warning systems do people think are any good?

I know about TomTom as well, but that about says it all about my product knowledge in this area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used the Navman iCN 530 for a couple of years, it's been very reliable and accurate with relatively few mis-steers. It came with a radio module to get live routing but I've not been able to get that working properly in my car as it has a heated windscreen. I download POI data for speed-camera info once a year (ish) from the http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ website.

I've opted for the integrated satnav in the TIg this time though as I'm fed up hiding the stuff away whenever I park the car and the cabling is a bit of a mess as I never got it professionally wired in.

I agree the VW satnav is a bit expensive, but not that much in the context of the total new car price

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Tom Tom One. I like this model because it is one of the smallest ones on the market. It is a touch screen which is useful. I think they are all pretty much the same. The performance of the system is really dependant on the maps installed. If it does not come with safety/speed cameras you can download from a number of websites. Make a list of things you want, (Bluetooth, size etc ) then go to your friendly retailer and tell what you want and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Personally I would recommend the Tom Tom range though

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Rob,

I dont believe any of the decent SatNav units come with speed camera detectors included (however I could be wrong) - I'd go TomTom 500 or similar and then have a RoadPilot Speed Camera detector if required

Kaine

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the simplest Tom tom and downloared safety cameras onto it.
It works really well,tells you what the speed limit is for the camera and will "bing bong" you when driving over the speed limit if required.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
of course for fixed and 'temporary' speed camera locations the TomTom is fine

Rob - do you want to cover mobile cameras too?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kaine said:
of course for fixed and 'temporary' speed camera locations the TomTom is fine

Rob - do you want to cover mobile cameras too?
Yes, I do really.
If I had the factory fit satnav I would still want my "Road Angel" sitting on the dash top, as in my Treg. It's hard wired and quite neat, but I was thinking, "for ?300 I can get the Road Angel SatNav with camera warnings, automatic downloads and TMC. I can pre-plan a route in the house and send the desitnation postcodes to the car before I set off and it's all done." I know its not as neat as the factory fit jobby, but it can go with me into another car, will work for 4 hours on an internal battery and there are quite a few plus points to that option.

i really posted the question to see what other brands might be brilliant...or bad for that matter, in anyone elses experience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rob,

if you want speed camera etc, why not do a search of google for POI's for a particular brand before purchase. There is usually a lot of local forums that will provide these. In Australia, we do not get all the higher end stuff such as speed warnings, live traffice etc. However I find the more popular brands, eg Tom Tom, have more users and therefore there are more people who will provide free POI's. There is a forum for Australia, where users provide daily updates to various POI's and in particular speed cameras. For example, have a look at http://www.ozpoi.com.au for the information that you can download for free (this is Australian POI's only).

·
Registered
82 Posts
you cant really beat a TomTom loaded with the speed camera database from www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk]

It has the cameras speed zoned ---so the tomtom 'says to you in a human voice' Warning - Gatso (or type of camera ahead) Speed Limit X Miles Per Hour', it also flashed a symbol on the map. In addition, mobile sites are listed (ok it cant tell you if the mobile van is actually there, but then you have a pair of eyes that you can use to scan to look for it - since you know where to look!). and finally as mentioned above, the latest tom tom software also
- shows you your current speed vs the speed limit for the road (regardless of a speed camera being around)
and
- bing/bongs when you exceed 10% over the speed limit ---eg once you start doing 80 on a motor way it makes a noise to warn you.
- also inetrfaces via mobile if you want to pick up the latest traffic info to reroute you, and if you get an add on for the newer models then it can pick up the info from the radio traffic transmitters.

user interface is brilliant. and the map updates etc are as good as any.

seriously- ive tried plenty of others and to me none come up any where near as good.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments so far people, much appreciated. I do like Tom Tom, I had their software on a mobile some years ago and it was a very effective solution and a modest cost. Their latest 920 is interesting too, just got to check out compatibility with my 'phone, HTC TyTn II (which will also take the Tom Tom software for about ?87 plus an annual fee of about ?16 or ?17 for TMC updates - so that's another option
)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
Have just ordered a aftermarket "complete" Navi & Audio/Video system via e-bay from A-Sure China.
The unit includes all you really need. The price is 1/3 of the RNS510
It even slotts into the Tig bay, fascia and all.
The Navi map database upgrades are $40.00 ! wow
Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Car-HD-GUI-DVD ... dZViewItem
Will keep you posted.. expect to receive and install the unit within the next 2 weeks.
cheers ggy (Australia)

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
ggy said:
Hi guys,
Have just ordered a aftermarket "complete" Navi & Audio/Video system via e-bay from A-Sure China.

Will keep you posted.. expect to receive and install the unit within the next 2 weeks.
cheers ggy (Australia)
I'm always very leery of a company who can't even afford to get their Engrish sorted when marketing something out of China. Personally I'd be waiting till I had some "verifiable" reports that they're OK before sending them any of my hard earned dosh. Pretty difficult to do anything about it (if you have any issues) when they're hiding away in China.

Hope it all works out for you though, will be interested to hear the results.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Derek,

I wouldn't read too much into the English mistakes - I've been dealing with a company in China now for over 3 years - deal directly with their 'main english speaker' and it still is bloody hard work - stopped calling by telephone now over 18 months ago and engage in all communications via e-mail as its so much easier.

Would be interested to see how the SatNav performs though

Kaine

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
Hi Kaine

Yep, guess I'm being a bit on the cautious side, it's just so easy for somebody to set up a scam on something like ebay nowadays.

I certainly hope it's as good as it appears, would be excellent to have a low cost alternative to the RNS510, particularly if it's plug and play as they suggest. Others that are being promoted on Vortex etc are around US$2,000 which is even dearer than the RNS510 !!

Cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
WoW ... never trust the Chinese ... they can barely manufacture stuff without any faults, engineering is WAAAY out of their league... btw. Ive had some business with chinese workers within an international company i worked in, an IT company... those guys were as inteligent as a 5 year old... I am not only refering to their English language skills but overall ...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Heres a link to the golf MKV forums that have been discussing the Chinese rns-510 copies...

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74855

In sumary, some people have them and the faults get on their nerves, others have them and love them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ggy said:
Hi guys,
The unit includes all you really need. The price is 1/3 of the RNS510
It even slotts into the Tig bay, fascia and all.
The Navi map database upgrades are $40.00 ! wow
Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Car-HD-GUI-DVD ... dZViewItem
cheers ggy (Australia)
Hi,
Just wanted to know how you got on fitting the unit from A-Sure China. I have just ordered one off EBay as well.
$3000 is to steep for a radio for me. Just wondered if you had run into any problems with the operation and install, I have ordered a rear veiw camera with mine as well, did yours have that as well and if so where did you pick up the power supply feed for the camera.
Regards
Bernie
[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts