VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did some experimenting. I've been driving my beloved old subaru forester for years with a full LED bulb conversion because duh no canbus system on that. I've read it is hit and miss with VW. So far I've changed out the parking lights, both high and low headlights, and all interior and exterior bulbs with canbus compatible versions with the exception of the brake bulb and the turn signals. I have a 2017 tiguan limited. How has it I have evaded the dreaded bulb error? Should I press on and try the blinkers and brake lights as well or are they more prone to a canbus error?

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
Duh, you said it yourself " with canbus compatible " it's not an error on the canbus anyway. It's the fact that the canbus controllers send a micro current through the bulb to confirm continuity. Basic LED lights can't hack this and so the controller reports a BULB failure. The one's you've used react to this micro current and so the controller is happy.

I don't know the car lighting laws of the US but here in the UK, although LED replacements are acceptable for ancilliary lights, i don't think any LED aftermarkets are legal for headlight replacement as they go in a focussed reflector, and the layout of the LED elements can't replicate the pattern of a bulb filament, so you get a widely dispersed unfocussed light rather than the legal light pattern.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
56 Posts
I have found on other non-VW cars lights related to the traffic required that the LED must be CANbus compatible. If not, you will get an error that the bulb is out. However, all other lights, such interior, do not require CANbus compatibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts