VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering adding rear parking sensors. The wiring looks easy as the reverse light loom is in the bottom of the right hand load area storage hatch.

If anybody has the original equipment rear sensors could they measure the distance between the sensor centre? (middle two and one of the side ones)

Thanks

Nigel

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm thinking about adding parking sensors to mine when I get it. You can get them seriously cheap these days, then fit them yourself. I couldn't justify 450 quid even if the car will park itself. I reckon i can get the sensors all in and fitted for approx 70 pounds.

Des

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody have the factory fitted system?

If they do, could they measure at the rear...

1) Distance between the two middle sensors (to the approximate centre of each sensor)
2) Distance from one of the middle sensors to one of the outer.

This will help confirm my own estimates from photos

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Nigel

I have just measured the centre points, middle to middle was 20 inches. Middle to outer was 16 & half inch.

Measurements done useing an older style measure sorry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rosko said:
Des

Imagine me...totally clueless and ham-fisted!! How big a job is self-fit of sensors??
As long as you take your time the job shouldn't be too difficult, the big plus is the parking sensros are fitted to the plastic underside of the bumper, so cutting should not be to much of a worry.

Des

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Louis, thanks for taking the time to make the measurements.

Much appreciated

Nigel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nigel said:
Hello,

I am considering adding rear parking sensors. The wiring looks easy as the reverse light loom is in the bottom of the right hand load area storage hatch.

If anybody has the original equipment rear sensors could they measure the distance between the sensor centre? (middle two and one of the side ones)

Thanks

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
I remember you saying you were going to fit parking sensors when you got your Tiguan & I was just wondering if you had completed the job as I am also thinking of this option on My Tiguan in the near future.
Some pic's would also be usefull.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Did you ever fit your reversing sensors,as am considering fitting them to mine

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Remember guys, if you wire anything into the tail lights the Tiguan will sense them and declare a "fault" because of the increased load on the circuit !! (well I think it will cos you certainly can't wire a trailer connection that way !!). You'd either have to get the proper factory wiring loom set up or run them off a relay I would think. Just a warning that it may not be as easy as you hoped. I have heard of dealers retro-fitting them but not of any DIY jobs so far.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've installed after market sensors. No relay needed, just patch into the reversing lights power. There is a suitable earth post in there as well. No faults etc. Works perfectly. Dealer after market units are installed in the same location and in a very similar way. There is no connector in that position so the dealer fitted VW unit was just spliced in as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just fitted after market parking sensors ,all worked ok up until I started the car then the beeper kept buzzing caused by the tigs auto bulb check ,This was a simple fix by wiring in a single bypass relay powered from rear 12volt socket,so i guess it depends on what aftermarket system you use .Hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts