VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4Motion
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2012 Tig SEL AWD. The original stereo was an RNS-510 with Dynaudio. I found a post online that one of the previous owners made asking for help swapping out the RNS-510 for an RCD-510, so it has the RCD-510 now. I'd like to add CarPlay and a backup camera without losing any of the features that I have now: SiriusXM, steering wheel controls, dash integration (Can't think of the term, but the display between the speedometer and the tach). I don't care about the disc changer at all. I've been searching for solutions, but haven't been able to find anything that is reasonable for me. I've gone to a few local sound shops and am getting quotes over $1000 to do all of this with an aftermarket head unit. I'm not going to spend that much. I've tried to see if there are different OEM units that have all of those features but can't seem to find one. My wife has a 2016 Jetta that has all of them, but I don't know if that model would fit and what modifications I would need to make. The part number for it is 5C0035684.

I'm open to almost any suggestions. I'm not opposed to trying to do the work to replace it, but I'm by no means an expert at it and would probably need some guidance along the way.

Thanks for the help.
Michael

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Picking up a MIB or Disco deck is doable but can get expensive fast. You need a CAN to LIN adapter, if you have an existing camera it's not compatible as well and it needs changed. You can easily be well over $1000 for a MIB deck, adapter, camera harnesses etc.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picking up a MIB or Disco deck is doable but can get expensive fast. You need a CAN to LIN adapter, if you have an existing camera it's not compatible as well and it needs changed. You can easily be well over $1000 for a MIB deck, adapter, camera harnesses etc.
Thanks Iggy. It looks like we have the exact same Tig except for the model year. :)

It is a bit more than I want to spend. I feel that if I were to drop one of my requirements (rearview camera, CarPlay, or SiriusXM), this could be a bit easier. If I had to drop one, it would be SiriusXM as I could do that via CarPlay. But I think CarPlay is what is causing the big price jump. The only things I don't currently have are RVC & Carplay. I see a number of people selling either RNS-510 or RNS-315 units that look like they could easily add the RVC and might be fairly plug-n-play as far as having all the same connectors that I have now. I didn't see a camera harness when I pulled the existing unit out the other day. I haven't pulled off the trim from the liftgate, but considering there isn't a camera there, I would be surprised to see the wiring.

If I were to get a unit like one of these, would it be essentially plug-n-play except for some coding that I might need some help with?
RNS 510 radio | eBay for an RNS-510
10-16 Volkswagen RNS315 Beetle Golf Radio Cd Gps Navigation & CODE 1K0035274D | eBay for an RNS-315
REAR VIEW RGB CAMERA For RCD510 RNS315 RNS510 TIGUAN GOLF JETTA PASSAT CC | eBay for the camera and harness

Here is a picture of the wiring I have now.
Electronic instrument Electronic engineering Computer hardware Gadget Electronic component

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Look up BarryT1982 on eBay he's the us RN king he has the best deals and everything is up to date software, maps and firmware. Then get. Camera kit (lowline) off alexpress for under $50. Will be plug and play other then one wire that needs to tapped into a reverse light wire to activate the camera on reverse easily found in the drivers side rear corner of the cabin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look up BarryT1982 on eBay he's the us RN king he has the best deals and everything is up to date software, maps and firmware. Then get. Camera kit (lowline) off alexpress for under $50. Will be plug and play other then one wire that needs to tapped into a reverse light wire to activate the camera on reverse easily found in the drivers side rear corner of the cabin.
Thanks. This helps a lot for the stereo. However, I'm not finding what I think I should on AliExpress for the camera. I can't find anything with lowline in the title and almost all of the cameras that I'm seeing under $100 have the composite RCA connector. So I would need some kind of adapter to change that to the 26-pin that fits into the RNS-510, right? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. This is an example of what I'm finding.

I did find this one that has the 26-pin which is ~$20 less than the one I posted earlier.

Can you confirm which one I can use? And if it is the first one with the RCA connector, where do I get the adapter? All I could find were adapters that go from 26-pin to RCA, not the other direction.

Thanks for your patience. :)

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
US $67.19 30%OFF | LEMON SHARK RGB Rearview Camera Reversing Trunk Handle for VW Jetta MK5 5 MK6 VI Tiguan Passat B7 RVC RNS510 RNS315 RCD510 Radio

Or if you want Highline with the movable lines when the wheel is turned. (requires calibration and VCDS and a tin of patience)
Took me a week to get mine calibrated. It's not an easy process even for an experienced modder as myself.

US $248.91 25%OFF | RCD510 RNS510 Original Rear View Reversing Camera Trajectory Box Rearview Camera Cable For Tiguan 5N0907441A 5ND827566

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
US $67.19 30%OFF | LEMON SHARK RGB Rearview Camera Reversing Trunk Handle for VW Jetta MK5 5 MK6 VI Tiguan Passat B7 RVC RNS510 RNS315 RCD510 Radio

Or if you want Highline with the movable lines when the wheel is turned. (requires calibration and VCDS and a tin of patience)
Took me a week to get mine calibrated. It's not an easy process even for an experienced modder as myself.

US $248.91 25%OFF | RCD510 RNS510 Original Rear View Reversing Camera Trajectory Box Rearview Camera Cable For Tiguan 5N0907441A 5ND827566

Hope this helps.
It helps a whole lot. Usually, I'm not this bad at finding things. At least the one I found was also from Lemon Shark. Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I'll forewarn you. The hatch cover is a royal pita to remove and reinstall. There is like 30 metal clips holding it on. It will feel like you are breaking it getting it off. It's not fun to reinstall as the hatch sides have to be started but not snapped to lock into the lower part and all sent home at once. Do anything you want while it's off. Fishing the wires thru the boot isn't fun either but I did it without removing the C Pillars or sides. Used a 8 awg wire and fished it down and pulled it thru with it. It's a mod well worth it once done. My only gripe is mine came out if a 09 Jetta so I have an older camera. I have a new higher resolution camera but really don't want to yank the hatch apart again.

I also did sound deadening while it was off. 80mil buytl made a huge difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reconsidering my plan and thinking of doing a MIB2 retrofit instead. Probably with a model 5c0035200 over a 5c0035684 head unit as it costs less and I don't need built-in navigation if I have Carplay/Android Auto. There are kits online to do it, so I know it's possible. I looked at what EuroZone Tuning has for their kit, which if I could afford it, I'd just get it all there, but I can't. So I think I need the following things:

Am I missing anything or overcomplicating things? Because I sometimes do that. Any assistance there would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Low camera just has standard non moving lines. High has the trajectory moving lines, and parallel park assist. Just remember you need the RGB camera for the MIB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts