VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2017 VW Tiguan or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $13,000 and it has 13000 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks

UPDATE:
Thanks for everyone comments, I've gone through everyone comments
Thank you all for your contribution to this post, I have been wary of buying this vehicle, and on further research, I decided to run the VIN CHECK confirmed my fears.
Here is the link to the report: Get Instant Vehicle History Report

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive tire

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
I keep forgetting that the mk1 Tiguan was on sale longer in the US than Europe. Don't understand salvage title, so not sure what the implication is. It's nit 4motion which simplifies things a lot for you, no rear transmission/haldex to be concerned about.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maren queen

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
72 Posts
The salvage title, the insurance company totaled the car on a claim. Most of the time was an accident, and the repair cost was higher than the car's value. It could have been in flood, and insurance again totaled the car due to damage or possible future problems. They could be held reliable. When the insurance settles with the claim, they take the ownership and sell it to junkyards, and the title is then classified as a Salvage title.

The salvage yard, and breakers, then do the repairs and resell the cars, and the title is labeled a salvage title.

To the OP question. The car needs a very close inspection to see if there is an accident or flood damage. Is the price well below market price? In the future sell or trade, it will appear that it is a salvage car and will reduce the sell or trade value most of the time. The salvage yards can repair damage as they have other cars to pull parts from to do the repair. Therefore they can repair for less than usual body shops can do the repair.

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
361 Posts
Always worth paying for these history checks when buying private/second hand. I thought id found a bargain T4 camper last year, a bit of digging and i found out it was a wreck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts