VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1900 miles on my new 2022 Tiguan R-Line. The easy acceleration between 0 and 10 is seemingly sluggish and/or erratic. The main reason I purchased it was because I wanted something a little more snappy again. I had a turbo Jetta in the past and also an Acura TL. Both were snappy and fun to drive. I remember that the older Tiquans were more spirited as well. This one is neither snappy from 0 or at highway speeds. Very disappointed. The dealer said that it is learning my driving style. I'm not sure I buy that. Any thoughts?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Transmission does take a few hundred to adapt to your driving but the new Tiguan is only 180hp here vs 207 of the previous generation. And sadly no tune will be Available for a long while. The ones I test drove drove like slugs including the Atlas with the 2.0. Al about economy now, the performance aspect of the family barge is disappearing.

Reactions: Extra Medium

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Afraid you need a ROW R-Line like mine, totally different beast to the NA one, then next up is the new Tiguan R which is better again !! Truth is the R-Line in NA is lower powered and doesn’t have the DSG gear box either. The only thing I can say that could help is

1: slap it into sports mode and

2: stand on it, don’t mess about with the gas pedal, mash it to the floor, you might get a shock !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission does take a few hundred to adapt to your driving but the new Tiguan is only 180hp here vs 207 of the previous generation. And sadly no tune will be Available for a long while. The ones I test drove drove like slugs including the Atlas with the 2.0. Al about economy now, the performance aspect of the family barge is disappearing.
Thanks for the feedback. I will be considering some type of tune. The head service guy said that a flash will likely void my warranty but another service tech said it probably would not. Any recommendations on a more invisible tune/flash type? I'm new to this.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
As of now no one has cracked the new ECUs but APR/ Unitronic are the top. No tune is hidden..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will be considering some type of tune. The head service guy said that a flash will likely void my warranty but another service tech said it probably would not. Any recommendations on a more invisible tune/flash type? I'm new to this.
I have a month old SEL-R and the uneven acceleration really bugs me. I upgraded the ECU with APR Plus (the Plus matches the VW warranty if something goes wrong). The upgrade was not what I expected, the power increase is barely noticeable and did not solve the lurching problem, and I think it amplified some.
From 0-20 is infuriating, but worst of all, it is not consistent, sometimes it moves OK, next red light it lags terribly so it is hard to predict its reaction.
I had a GTI before with APR kit and the car really moved, more recently a Passat VR6, fantastic power delivery.
Sadly the Tiguan does not put a smile on my face like the previous ones did.
I'm not sure how to proceed here.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Adhammer sounds to me there is a transmission issue. Swing by the dealer and see if you can drive another one. But my question is why wasn't this addressed on a test drive of the vehicle? If it is as bad as you say it needs to be addressed.

You want sluggish? Go from a fully tuned APR 1+ to a stock Honda CRV in Eco mode. LoL. I don't mind the CVT but dang eco mode is like 0-60 in 15 seconds. Lol

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
30 Posts
I got my 22 Tiguan in April 2022; for two months, I put up with this. Having owned another brand of car, it came to me to do a Transmission Reset. I tried it on the Tiguan, and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. Suggest you give it a try. It works on almost every brand of car with auto transmission. It reset the pedal position in the ECU and transmission.

To do reset

With the car warmed up, and the engine turned off.

1. Depress the Start/Stop button without the foot on the brake pedal. The car does not start but is in the run setting. All the lights on the dash will light up.

2. Depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor until you hear and feel a click like going into passing gear. Hold the pedal all the way down for 20 to 30 seconds.

3. Depress the Start/Stop button as if turning off the engine.

4. Remove the foot from the gas pedal.

5. Wait for 2 to 5 minutes, start the engine, and go for a drive.

If the car does not have the Start/Stop button turn the keyed switch to position 2.

Some people do this every few months. Your driving pattern might change. Relearn your driving style.

Please, after trying this, give feedback if it worked for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 22 Tiguan in April 2022; for two months, I put up with this. Having owned another brand of car, it came to me to do a Transmission Reset. I tried it on the Tiguan, and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. Suggest you give it a try. It works on almost every brand of car with auto transmission. It reset the pedal position in the ECU and transmission.

To do reset

With the car warmed up, and the engine turned off.

1. Depress the Start/Stop button without the foot on the brake pedal. The car does not start but is in the run setting. All the lights on the dash will light up.

2. Depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor until you hear and feel a click like going into passing gear. Hold the pedal all the way down for 20 to 30 seconds.

3. Depress the Start/Stop button as if turning off the engine.

4. Remove the foot from the gas pedal.

5. Wait for 2 to 5 minutes, start the engine, and go for a drive.

If the car does not have the Start/Stop button turn the keyed switch to position 2.

Some people do this every few months. Your driving pattern might change. Relearn your driving style.

Please, after trying this, give feedback if it worked for you.
This did it! Very cool. The lurching is 99% gone and acceleration from a stop is much better. Idle even feels and sounds a bit different. I’ll be curious to see how long I can go before another reset. Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
30 Posts
This did it! Very cool. The lurching is 99% gone and acceleration from a stop is much better. Idle even feels and sounds a bit different. I’ll be curious to see how long I can go before another reset. Thanks!
Happy to hear this worked for you. Thanks for getting back with the results. Only when owners come back with results can it be helpful for the next person with the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts