VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

Purchased a used 2019 Tiguan S model a couple of weeks ago. I would like to replace the head unit with one that has DVD and Sirius XM. I have noticed that there is no readily available wire harness, so that would need to be custom. I was also told that I would lose the TPMS reset and other function in the menu option available through the "Car" button on the unit.

What are the options for replacing the head unit and retaining all the functions? Back up camera, hands free phone, car menu, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you done a search on the forum before asking this ? Has to one of the most asked questions in existence !!
Actually I did. That's the first thing I do on any new forum. And either my search terms don't match or the heuristics on the algorithm suck.

So - Search for "2019 Tiguan S Radio" gives:

1. My thread
2. 2019 Tiguan SE Climate control - fan speed does not change in heat mode
3. Tiguan Fuel Line Rattle
4. Various Radio's (From 2016)

Search for "2019 Tiguan S radio replacement" gives:
1. Same
2. Same
3. 2011 Tiguan S coolant flange replacement
4. Tiguan Mark1 Interior Replacement LED Bulb Type

Now, if I quote the search term to include all words, I get:
1. My thread

Substituting MQB for Tiguan S gives varied results, none of which apply.

If you have other search terms or a link, I'd be happy to go read them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Note: I am getting some hits from headunit replacement, but there is 1 link per 10(ish) in the search results of which zero have helped. If this is such an obvious question, maybe a sticky with the most relevant threads as a "look here before asking ya n00b" helpful index?

I don't mean to be snarky, but I honestly looked for a good 20 minutes with various search terms before asking. This isn't my first rodeo.

Found this thread - RNS 315 replacement Nothing relevant there either for my year.

Question - I've looked through the owners manual, on the VW parts site, where do you find the info such as which year has RNS510, RNS315, etc? Where do you even find those numbers? The display in the car shows 5G6 035 868.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,371 Posts
Firstly, your search terms are too specific, just replacement stereo or replacement head unit, or even head unit may be better. Secondly, it would be nice if there was a single thread, but there are several, with each contributor using an alternative replacement.

Re the head units, the VW maps update site explains these quite well, but ignore all those you mention, they're all for the mk1. There was greater standardisation for the mk2, so you're looking for replacement for colour media, or discovery which has Nav, or MIB2 which is the generic designation for the units for your year.

The problem is the head units do so much more than provide media, they provide access to many of the car's settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tricky -

Thanks. That kind of information would work well in a sticky - "Replacing your head unit? Read here first!" kind of FAQ thread. I appreciate the tips, and I'll adjust the search and look again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts