VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2018 Tiguan with only 20000kms. Can someone recommend a remote starter for this in Calgary? Called a few places locally and they all say I've to lose one key for this.

Any other way to get this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Use the valet key or get another valet key made. But remember this also makes your car totally stealable. With the immobilizer bypassed, any theif can now take your vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the valet key or get another valet key made. But remember this also makes your car totally stealable. With the immobilizer bypassed, any theif can now take your vehicle.
Thanks for that. I didn't know this

So, there is no real way of getting remote starter installed on these cars without bypassing g the immobilizer??

Everyone in Canada has a remote starter in thought??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Hopefully your's has factory prep for it being so new. Yeah the reason they need the key is to basically hide it up under the dash so when you press the remote start button it starts. But also allows the car to have the ignition punched and started without a key. Buddy had his GTI stolen, they actually found where they had hung the key and took off with it.

The Factory Keyless start will look for the key/ transponder when you press the brake to get it out of park, or insert the key if you still have standard ignition no push button.

·
Registered
2018 Tiguan Comfortline in Habanero Orange Metallic
4 Posts
I just bought a 2018 myself and am wondering if I get the remote starter with the key hidden in the dash, can anyone walk up to it and open the doors like I can with the key in my pocket?

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
Why not say Hello here evilernie667 while waiting for a reply >>> Say Hello .

Cheers!

Garry (aka Old Dog)

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
If the key is hidden inside it's open to anyone to easily steal it. Even hiding just the part with the immobilizer chip is a bad idea as it still can be started and driven away. Some years you can add remote start via the factory way but it's not a cheap process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the key is hidden inside it's open to anyone to easily steal it. Even hiding just the part with the immobilizer chip is a bad idea as it still can be started and driven away. Some years you can add remote start via the factory way but it's not a cheap process.
That is pretty disappointing, any idea which models the factory way can be added and what the cost roughly would be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just talked to a company that installs Compustar system and he assured me that the features that allow to open the doors and drive away with the car would be disabled an no one could steal the car.

Is he bullshitting me or is that true?

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
They must be removing the immobilizer chip from the key and only hiding it. But if you have kessy with push button start I'd be asking a few more questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts