VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just into my 2018 Tiguan R-line. I did NOT jump for the full LED lighting package (mistake) and am in the process of upgrading to HID/LED headlamps and fog lamps. The fogs were pretty straight forward H8 3000k (yellow) HID swaps. The headlights, on the other hand, are proving to be a more formidable foe. I bought some 5000k 35w HID ballasts and bulbs along with some CANbus resistor packs for good measure. Well, come installation day and it looks like VW over-engineered the living hell out of the headlight bulb mounting situation (shocker!). There is a weird metal clip that you need to remove from the H7(?) bulb and retrofit it onto the almost-the-same-shape-and-size-but-not-quite H7 HID bulb. This might be present on previous generations, but this is my first Tiguan and new to me. Well, after some under the breath swearing and a lot of wrist contorting, I got them to mount properly, hooray! No error codes, double hooray!

Holy.

Crap.

Flicker.

Initially, I thought I just got a bad pair of bulbs or ballasts, so, I swapped the ballasts with the fog ballasts down below. Same flicker on the heads, none on the fogs. I begrudgingly pulled one of the head light bulbs out and put it on the ballast down in the fog light area, no flicker! I am guessing it is a voltage issue due to the DRL circuitry? Maybe?

The point of this post is: Has anyone retrofit LED or HID headlights onto their MK2's, and what did you use? You can't use the typical LED bulbs with the ballasts attached because that weird metal clip mentioned above will not mount onto it, and that's the only was that the bulb will fasten to the housing. Using HID's seems logical, but it looks lie the voltage irregularities with the DRL's is throwing them off (even with CANBUS packs). Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
VW uses a lot of pulse width modulated circuits for their lighting so they can better control voltage and brightness (DRL). HID kits and LEDs much prefer a true 12V supply.
True, but mqb's uses a dedicated DRL LED section, even with halogens.

But within the BCM, it does dial back on the PWM on headlights for longevity which can be deactivated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for starters, apologies to the VW gods and forum members for the less than helpful post I made BUT, I figured out a solution!

As far as using LED's in these particular reflector style housings: nope. Try a different style LED? Nope. How about a rounded reflector LED to mimic the beam pattern of a traditional halogen? Nope. Nope. Nope and more nope.

Cool, just use a nice CANBUS HID! No chance it will flicker, right? Nope.

maybe just put another CANBUS resistor on there for good measure? Nope.

Ok ok ok how about:

- 55w 6000k HID kit

- 12v relay

- 12v CANBUS resistor for relay

- anti-flicker bulb side module

- weird (super sharp) H7 bulb adapters

- lots of split loom

- hope

Ya, ya that outta do it.

I ended up doing a relay system on a higher end HID. Had to put the CANBUS resistor on the relay side to prevent any lighting error codes and went ahead and put some anti-flicker modules on the bulb side just because I am very tired of contorting my hands into the back of those housings to install the H7 bulbs, which are on record as being the dumbest bulbs ever. It all works, there is a lot of wire hiding to do, but its good! Sorry for the withholding of info, but it was a bit of a process. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that's a project. Glad it worked out. Is there an glare from the HIDs?

I edited the post, 600K is a bit warm, fixed to 6000K

Cheers
Whoops, ya 600k may not be the direction I'm trying to go with.

No real noticeable glare and a unintended change is that since the length of the HID is a little bit longer, it creates this cool light bar effect if you are looking at the lights through a rear view mirror/tinted glass. Hard to explain, I'll see if it will convey in a picture tonight, but it looks like the headlight has a linear shaped light source on the top and bottom of the housing rather than just one large light spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.