VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm getting a DTC relating to the in tank fuel pump. Seems there is also a transfer pump.
I've done numerous searches for info, videos, etc., and haven't had much success.

So, does anyone have a link to any info at all.

The engine starts and seems to run fine. I found the DTC when scanning everything! The CEL or EPC light is not on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have you tried clearing the code and then see if it comes back on again?
The tank is sort of Saddlebag shaped, Level sensor and main pump in one side. The other side has the transfer pump to get fuel over the hump (not sure if there is a sensor in the other side.

Whne I first got my OBDeleven I was worried with the number of error codes that came up. I cleared them all and none have come back 6 months later.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Always check the DTC mileage. One of my vws had never been cleared and had numerous DTCs from 1km lol must of been a Friday 5pm rollout.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the universal version of Vag Com Diagnostic Systems (VCDS). I've scanned every system, saved the codes and then deleted them. The Fuel Pump Code as well as a code pertaining to the AC and fans out front.

The fuel pump(s) is obviously working or the engine would not run.

The Fans out front and the after-run (if that's the right term) coolant pump doesn't run. I cannot hear it when I turn off the engine. So, I have to assume it does not run when the engine is running. Also, the AC Compressor does kick-on and produce cold air as long as the vehicle is moving ........... stop and go traffic causes an increase in engine temp which is quite obvious on the gauge ........... and, the warning light has come on a few times.

This has all happened after I cleared up issues caused by fuse #23 being blown.

These are the codes ............ clearing will not keep them from coming back.
Wednesday,03,August,2022,20:06:55:37519
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 7 x64
VCDS Version: 22.3.1.4 (x64)
Data version: 20220407 DS337.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVGBV7AX8BW509294 License Plate: DEES TIGUAN
Mileage: 103760 Repair Order: 01
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06J-906-026-CCT.clb
Control Module Part Number: 06J 906 027 R HW: 06J 907 309 A
Component and/or Version: MED17.5.2 TFSI 2 01 9972
Software Coding: 0423010A190F0160
Work Shop Code: WSC 40653 001 1048576
VCID: 3A70D41E75CD165FC1-806E
2 Faults Found:

012357 - Fuel Pump
P3045 - 000 - Electronics Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 166488 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2063.14.31
Time: 04:52:33

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 698 /min
Load: 20.4 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 37.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.843 V

006470 - Control Module 1 for Coolant Fan
P1946 - 000 - Defective - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 8
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 166488 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2063.14.31
Time: 04:52:36

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 704 /min
Load: 20.4 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 37.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.843 V

Readiness: 0000 0000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: DTCs cleared

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Even clearing them wont reset the frequency counter. So the fuel pump has clicked it 6 times, but the interesting part is the reset counter. So out of 255 resets via the ecm 6 times the fault remained. But oddly the fan also has the same reset count.

go into output tests and test both high and low fan of they both work id be leaning towards a radiator issue or maybe a failing water pump or it could even be a faulty sensor in the water pump.

you could do do logging. Go into obd and select fan hi and low radiator temp and engine temp also select fuel pressure. What it might be doing os pulling fuel on an overheat tripping things out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New water pump as part of all the work I did to it recently
There was a new sensor with the water pump
-Oddly, when I turn off the engine, I do not hear the electric coolant pump that circulates coolant thru the Turbo

I'm pretty sure these issues all commenced a week or more after I got the previous issue solved (blow fuse, #23).

I'll do the logging to see what shows up. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
About all you could do is have the belly pan off go for a drive then get back and feel the aftercooler if its running. Its the small thing under the fans 3 hoses and 2 wires. I rarely heard mine but could smell coolant all the time after a hot drive.

Reactions: AndyBees

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About all you could do is have the belly pan off go for a drive then get back and feel the aftercooler if its running. Its the small thing under the fans 3 hoses and 2 wires. I rarely heard mine but could smell coolant all the time after a hot drive.
Yeah, I've always smelled a faith odor of coolant ever since I first purchased it in February, 2020.
Yeah, even with my bad hearing, if I walked in front of of the vehicle after shutting down the engine, I could hear the pump running.

So, I'm thinking the fan issues and after run pump are related. I did pull each fuse again. I have no clue how one would check relays or which one(s) to check.

Well, I'll keep looking and testing!

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Start with some sensor logging. If the aftercooler is running it can run without a fan on. Mostly not an issue. You could have a rare air bubble causing valor lock. Or depending on other things the intercooler may be plugged from year’s on the road blocking air flow to the radiator behind it. As much of a pain it is. Id be looking making sure airflow is good as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, the balance of this month, I have way too much on my plate to dig deep into these problems. Then, on September 6th, we will be heading out for at least a two week road trip with friends. Thus, it will be at least a month before I can do anything So, in the meantime, I'd like for someone to do a TEST on their Tig, preferably a 2009 thru 12 maybe to 14 will be fine..

Turn the ignition On (do not start the engine), turn AC On with Temp setting at maximum low and the fan On any speed.
Now, pop the hood to see if the Fans out front are running. That's how the Jetta TDIs of the early 2000s work and maybe all VWs of the 21st century.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Both fans should run anytime the AC compressor is running with AC on. Only one will run when dehumidification is needed when temps are below 45F AC compressor is automatically triggered when Defrost is selected. Temps under 35F no fan will turn on unless needed for engine cooling.

have you done any logging. In logging see if you can see when it calls for the fan and if they come on, but doing output test I guarantee you will find the issue. If in output tests you select low or high fan and on if they fail to come on you either have a fan controller fault or wiring. If it says ots on and the fan is off spin the fan by hand. If you feel resistance like it wants to start the motor is toast.

pretty much everything at this point we need some logging and data from vcds to solve this.

Reactions: AndyBees
1 - 11 of 11 Posts