VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2011 SEL 4 Motion - Bought used from 2nd owner.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2011 SEL 2.0 TSI AWD with 160k miles. It has VW dealer maintenance records up to 130k and independent VW shop records to 140k. Major work done around 120k by dealer includes intake manifold, front CV axles, coil packs and plugs, rear brakes and rotors and clock spring. The car runs and drives very well, but I am a little uneasy with the high miles. Are there any likely future repairs or problems I should be looking for? Are there any steps I should be taking for preventative maintenance? I really love the car and it is a pleasure to drive.
Thanks for any advice.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2010 Tiguan Comfortline
96 Posts
Any mention of timing chain or tensioner replacements in there? That year could still be affected by the problematic tensioner which can take out the engine. What about water pump (more concerned about the belt for it) while the intake manifold was off? If the water pump belt were to break, the manifold would be coming back off again most likely to fix. Not the end of the world, just curious. Otherwise mileage isn’t an issue, just follow the maintenance schedule. More frequent oil changes than they specified can help the timing chain have less wear due to soot in the oil from direct injection.

· Registered
2011 SEL 4 Motion - Bought used from 2nd owner.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lins. Appreciate the information and will be checking seller's receipts for information about timing chain and tensioner. Also will check on water pump. Previous owner told me that the timing chain and tensioner were part of an earlier recall by VW. So, I'm going to assume something was done - just not sure when. As of now, I don't hear any telltale sounds, but would like some reassurance.
One other question: Once replaced ... how long does a chain and tensioner typically last?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts