VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.0 litre Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a stripped thread on a calliper pin housing. Looking at pictures it appears that the thread goes into the Front Left Steering Knuckle Hub Bearing Carrier. Is this so or am I missing something a lot less complicated?
Bicycle part Rim Motorcycle accessories Font Automotive design

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Agreed they are under serious torque so the only way us cross threading usually. Check the carrier and if anything get the proper tap and chase the threads to remove any corrosion.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 litre Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those holes you have circled in red should be plain holes not threaded.
The calliper (mounting bracket) has the threaded holes.
How did you manage to strip the threads? They are usually robust!
They were stripped when I removed the calliper slide pins. The previous owner used Lock-tite to keep them in place.
I cannot see the caliper mount bracket when googling. I would very much appreciate it if someone knows where I can at least see what it looks like so that I can try to source one.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Sounds like the pin or the carrier is stripped then. Post a pic of the threaded end of the line if you can. In all honestly it's a good practice to replace the pins every brake change.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 litre Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the pin or the carrier is stripped then. Post a pic of the threaded end of the line if you can. In all honestly it's a good practice to replace the pins every brake change.
Hi, it's all back on the car for the moment as I needed to put it in the garage. I changed all 4 pins when doing the pads so it isn't the pin. Before buying new pins, I tried the other pin and it too would not tighten and the original pin tightened in the other hole.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
So you can do 3 things here. If the threading is indeed in the knuckle not the carrier you can use a Timecert do not use a helicoil but you will have to fully remove the part to make sure the timecert is in square.

But honestly since it's in your brakes replace the failed part. Someone before you probably over torqued the part and pulled the threads as it is aluminum.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 litre Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you can do 3 things here. If the threading is indeed in the knuckle not the carrier you can use a Timecert do not use a helicoil but you will have to fully remove the part to make sure the timecert is in square.

But honestly since it's in your brakes replace the failed part. Someone before you probably over torqued the part and pulled the threads as it is aluminum.
I want to replace the part but honestly cannot find mention of it anywhere. What it is called, an on-line picture so that I can then try to find a source.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Try strut lower, steering knuckle or strut tower. Should be able to find it that way. It's not a common part to fail so it might have to be an OEM dealer part. And be sure to get an alignment after as you will be removing parts tied to aligment points.

Reactions: GDSandy and Old Dog

·
Registered
2009 2.0 litre Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try strut lower, steering knuckle or strut tower. Should be able to find it that way. It's not a common part to fail so it might have to be an OEM dealer part. And be sure to get an alignment after as you will be removing parts tied to aligment points.
I thought that was the picture in my original post. They seem to be approx £50.
View attachment 32469

Is the part bottom right the one with the stripped threads?
There are some on ebay - search Tiguan Brake Calliper bracket.
If this is the damaged part it will be much easier to replace than the strut, and you won't need alignment afterwards.
That is it exactly. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts