VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could be very tempted to change my order, the 170ps tdi (manual) is now showing as available on vw.co.uk, might call the dealership in the morning to see whats the likelihood of getting one of those sooner....

·
Registered
610 Posts
Its looks like its also availalbe for order, however I wouldn't expect it until the 58 plate come out!! - The 170ps version appears to be good value, at approximatly a 5% premium, with what appears from the limited figures released, no loss in fuel economy under normal driving conditions.

Jon

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I can see there is about an ?800 difference between the 140HP (103KW) and 170HP (125KW) TDI. The biggest differnce was acceleration

140HP 0-62mph 10.5s , top speed of 115mph, Combined consumption 40.4mpg
170HP 0-62mph 8.9s, top speed of 125mph, Combined consumption 39.2mpg
200HP 0-62mph 7.6s (Found this which quite impressive)

The mpg is very close, and the emissions are similar (185 vs 189 g/km CO2). I found the 140HP to be relatively nippy, but still cant really justify spending another ?800 to save 2s? I tried to tell persuade my wife that = We drive 200xYear * 10xStop/Starts a journey * 2xJourney/day * 3 years * 1.4second saving = 16,800 seconds = 4.6 hours. Working out at ?170/hr savings in time!!!! Not to mention the extra 10mph I can drive @ top speed!

From a combined urban fuel consumption costing, traveling 30 000 miles (45 000km) over 3 years
140HP - 39.2mpg/7.2 - consumes 3240 litres
170HP - 40.4 / 7 - consumes 3150 liters

This is a difference of 90 litres of fuel, @ ?1.20 (Heres hoping it stays there!), its only ?108 in saving!!!!

Arrgh... give me something more to work with PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its always seemed to me that these extra PS options are a bit of a con because the engine, clutch, gearbox, filters etc are the same. All they do is chip the engine. My friends have got on average an extra 30% on their Golf MK4 TDIs quite safely.

Is there any difference between the 140PS and 170PS engines?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
56 Posts
ees3dc said:
Its always seemed to me that these extra PS options are a bit of a con because the engine, clutch, gearbox, filters etc are the same. All they do is chip the engine. My friends have got on average an extra 30% on their Golf MK4 TDIs quite safely.

Is there any difference between the 140PS and 170PS engines?
As far as I can see, there is very little difference. It does seem that this has slightly different tuning, which is probably a chip. A company a friend used has just popped up a product (which are not yet live... but seems that its on its way, Costing between ?250-?600) for the VW Tiguan. http://www.psipowerbox.com

·
Registered
610 Posts
OktaneZA said:
200HP 0-62mph 7.6s (Found this which quite impressive)

The mpg is very close, and the emissions are similar (185 vs 189 g/km CO2). I found the 140HP to be relatively nippy, but still cant really justify spending another ?800 to save 2s? I tried to tell persuade my wife that = We drive 200xYear * 10xStop/Starts a journey * 2xJourney/day * 3 years * 1.4second saving = 16,800 seconds = 4.6 hours. Working out at ?170/hr savings in time!!!! Not to mention the extra 10mph I can drive @ top speed!
For the 170HP at 185 CO2, squeezes it into a vehicle tax band lower, hence this year it should be ?40 cheaper to tax than the 140HP. Of course, this years budget has changed all that from April 2009, where they will be taxed the same at ?260 / yr

Jon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pearson said:
For the 170HP at 185 CO2, squeezes it into a vehicle tax band lower, hence this year it should be ?40 cheaper to tax than the 140HP. Of course, this years budget has changed all that from April 2009, where they will be taxed the same at ?260 / yr

Jon
That is a possibility, but it may be focused on the European standards than british tax standards. Either way... its still 5g/km short and thats going to cost! I have been looking @ after market particle filters, but there are not too many available yet. Either way... ?40/yr will take 20 years before I have paid off the difference in the engines

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chunks said:
could be very tempted to change my order, the 170ps tdi (manual) is now showing as available on vw.co.uk, might call the dealership in the morning to see whats the likelihood of getting one of those sooner....
Order changed....
Now have a 170ps Tdi Sport Manual on order and it works out to be just over ?400 cheaper
than the Auto... So fingers crossed on Monday when the production updates are released I will get a build date.. Although my dealer did say that according to the communications he's had, the delays are impacting all SPORT models.... but I'm yet to have this confirmed by my other source...

·
Registered
610 Posts
chunks said:
chunks said:
Order changed....
Now have a 170ps Tdi Sport Manual on order and it works out to be just over ?400 cheaper
than the Auto... So fingers crossed on Monday when the production updates are released I will get a build date.. Although my dealer did say that according to the communications he's had, the delays are impacting all SPORT models.... but I'm yet to have this confirmed by my other source...
Nice one, what we are considering also! - Did the dealer give any indication as to likely delivery dates?

Jon

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know if and wehen the 170ps will be available as an auto?
I guess the only way to get the 140 up to the same spec is to remap which normally gives about 20% more?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Micawber said:
Does anyone know if and wehen the 170ps will be available as an auto?
I guess the only way to get the 140 up to the same spec is to remap which normally gives about 20% more?
I suspect that they will wait 1-2yrs, then release the auto in a DSG format for the 170ps Diesel & 200ps Petrol

Jon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pearson said:
chunks said:
chunks said:
Order changed....
Nice one, what we are considering also! - Did the dealer give any indication as to likely delivery dates?

Jon
He did say that he did expect to get a confirmed build date, which is one step better than the Auto order I had in.... I will post any news next week... but fingers well and truely crossed....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I enquired about changing my order to the 170 today, the dealer told me that the build date would be at least 6 months

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had a similar response

·
Registered
164 Posts
are there any forum users running a 2.0 tdi 170ps at this time-as have no experience of the CR 170ps only the PD version
in a octavia VRS and golf GT

thx for any comments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't believe there have been any deliveries yet.

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
I don't see what the point is of more HP frankly, I've got the 103kW and it's got tons of grunt, really it's all about torque and when you've got bags of it to burn anyway I can't see the point in just having more for the sake of it ?? particularly if it's going to cost more and be less efficient as well ??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Kaine said:
Derek,

extra power for towing

Kaine
Yes but does it have a higher tow rating ?? and I know it has more HP but how much more Torque ? which after all is the "requirement" for towing. I guess if it DOES have more torque AND is given a higher tow rating it could be worth having as a specific tow car BUT ???

Cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 170ps TDI is not only quicker, but it also burns less fuel and emits less CO2 emissions...
It is a more efficient engine...

And it is about the same price as a 140 Auto, Its something to think about if ordering now...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts