shagggy

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE Blue & R-Line Black
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::united kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

As we're heading over to France shortly, I was checking up on the ever-changing regulations for what your supposed to carry when driving there, and stumbled across this link which made me chuckle.  We'll be trying not to feature on this site in our forthcoming visit.

http://english.contr...peed-camera.php

Hampshire, UK

2013 Tiguan SE TDI 140 2WD BMT manual, Night Blue with sunroof, black Vienna leather, bi-xenons, keyless entry, RVC, mirror pack, cruise, TPM

2013 Tiguan R-Line TDI 177 4WD BMT DSG,  Black Pearl with sunroof, black Vienna leather, bi-xenons, keyless entry, RVC, mirror pack, cruise, TPM, DCC, LED interior & puddle lights

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:43 AM

#2 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 13212 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

As we're heading over to France shortly, I was checking up on the ever-changing regulations for what your supposed to carry when driving there, and stumbled across this link which made me chuckle.  We'll be trying not to feature on this site in our forthcoming visit.

http://english.contr...peed-camera.php

LOL, some good shots there, hehehe. I believe when traveling in France you have to have a safety vest for each person in the car and they must be in easy reach, i.e., not in the boot for example.

Cheers!

Current: 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport - Comfortline 3.6L in Pacific Blue

Previous: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior.

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#3 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 white 2.0 TDI DSG R Line
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

And don't forget the breathaliser

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#4 OFFLINE   Tigeos

Tigeos

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

I read somewhere that the French like to put their speed cameras right were the speed limit starts so you have to make sure your speed is correct before you pass the sign.

PS There is a site which has a map of the speed cameras in France - http://www.40million...mobilistes.com/   do a 'google translate' and find 

"40 million motorists  denounces the radar traps"

Current:   2015 1.4TSI Bluemotion Match, Pure White, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control

Previous: 2010 1.4TSI Bluemotion SE, Black, Park Assist, MFSW, Cruise Control
Dorset, UK

#5 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 13212 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Speed cams were introduced here in Montreal about 2-3 years ago I think. They have warning signs 200 to 300m before reaching them that there is a speed trap ahead :o . Sounds crazy I know, but the one I pass most often is the #1 $$$ earner for the province pulling in over $3M CDN last year alone.

Do they have the same warning signs in France or elsewhere for that matter?

Cheers!

Current: 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport - Comfortline 3.6L in Pacific Blue

Previous: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior.

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#6 OFFLINE   Tigeos

Tigeos

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Speed cams were introduced here in Montreal about 2-3 years ago I think. They have warning signs 200 to 300m before reaching them that there is a speed trap ahead :o . Sounds crazy I know, but the one I pass most often is the #1 $$$ earner for the province pulling in over $3M CDN last year alone.

Do they have the same warning signs in France or elsewhere for that matter?

Cheers!

I'm not sure about France, from what I've read it is unlikely.  In the UK we do often have warning signs but there is no fixed distance prior to the camera and sometimes the signs refer to mobile cameras that may not be there on that day - there is no way of telling.  Conversely there can be no warning at all - particularly for mobile cameras.  In the UK it is legal to have sat-navs giving warning of camera positions but in France it is illegal and you can be fined if you have speed camera alerts switched on in your sat-nav in France. 

Current:   2015 1.4TSI Bluemotion Match, Pure White, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control

Previous: 2010 1.4TSI Bluemotion SE, Black, Park Assist, MFSW, Cruise Control
Dorset, UK

#7 OFFLINE   shagggy

shagggy

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE Blue & R-Line Black
  • Additional Location Information::united kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

We've been to France a few times a year in recent years, and generally they do seem to have a sign before every camera.  The distance varies, but almost always where there's a sign, there's a camera within a couple of k.

They brought a law in a couple of years ago that you're not allowed a satnav (or any device) that tells you where cameras are - if spotted, it gets confiscated and you get an on the spot fine.  My Tomtom is too old to be upgraded, but I think the new ones warn you where "accident black spots" are instead.  Meanwhile, I just keep using my old Tomtom!

Hampshire, UK

2013 Tiguan SE TDI 140 2WD BMT manual, Night Blue with sunroof, black Vienna leather, bi-xenons, keyless entry, RVC, mirror pack, cruise, TPM

2013 Tiguan R-Line TDI 177 4WD BMT DSG,  Black Pearl with sunroof, black Vienna leather, bi-xenons, keyless entry, RVC, mirror pack, cruise, TPM, DCC, LED interior & puddle lights

#8 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 SEL 4motion 190PS DSG DCC
  • Additional Location Information::Crofton, West Yorkshire

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I understood that it was devices like road angel (ie active radar detectors) that were banned in France, not sat navs that may have GPS locations of speed cameras as an app.  I thought a TomTom / Garmin would be OK but if they see a road angel it will be confiscated and you get a fine.

Edit:

I just had a poke around google. It appears that the French Govt has done a deal with sat nav manufacturers so that positions of speed cameras are NOT included in the Sat Nav database. HOWEVER, the Sat Nav CAN include the locations of "zones of danger" (tight bends, etc) and there is nothing to stop the manufacturer including a camera location as a "zone of danger" - they must not say it is a speed camera.

So, Sat Navs are OK in France - even older ones that may once have had camera positions logged - by now the data is well out of date.  Apparantly Road Angels and the like have been banned in France since 1975.

Phil

2017 Tiguan 4motion SEL TDI, 190PS DSG in pure white. Options: Dynamic Chassis, Keyless with full electric tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist with rear view camera, Heated Rear Seats, electric towbar.
2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#9 OFFLINE   Aboris

Aboris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • My Tiguan:SE 2.0 TDI 177PS BM 4M DSG

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

My Garmin satnav used to indicate speed camera locations in FRance but since the new rules came in it indicates what it calls "dangerous zone" and it seems that every time it flashes up a "dangerous zone" there just happens to be a speed camera there :razz: It seems that the sat nav in my new Tig (RNS 315) does not indicate the location of speed cameras in the UK - where it is legal to do so - so I cannot imagine it will idicate "dangerous zone" when am in France, which is a real b*mm*r!! :headbang:

<p>2013 SE 2.0 TDI 177PS Blue Motion 4 Motion DSG. Metallic Java, Cornsilk Leather, Pano Sunroof, RNS 315, Cruise Control, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Keyless Entry, Mirror Pack, TPMS and SwivellingTowbar.

#10 OFFLINE   john999boy

john999boy

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • My Tiguan:Cupra Ateca
  • Additional Location Information::Worksop

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

We've been to France a few times a year in recent years, and generally they do seem to have a sign before every camera.  The distance varies, but almost always where there's a sign, there's a camera within a couple of k.

However the mobile traps don't always have warning signs in advance.

In Italy the situation is worse as they don't appear to have any warning signs and the cameras themselves are particularly difficult to spot as they never seem to look like 'proper' speed cameras.

#11 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 SEL 4motion 190PS DSG DCC
  • Additional Location Information::Crofton, West Yorkshire

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

As I have grown older, and hopefully wiser, I have realised that the way to tackle speed cameras is to not speed!  This is a revelation that would not have occurred to me 30 years ago!

Also, by using the facility to display the current speed limit on the MFD (provided as a by-product of Lane Assist) I can have a constant reminder of what the speed limit is. As an OF I find this very helpful!

Which leads to an interesting thought. Since I agree that the motivation for the French banning speed camera detection is to maximise their revenue take from fines, how do they feel about a device that reads the road signs and reminds you what the current speed limit is? Logically they should not have an issue because it is really a memory aid. But, knowing the French, they'll find a way to ban it. 

Phil

2017 Tiguan 4motion SEL TDI, 190PS DSG in pure white. Options: Dynamic Chassis, Keyless with full electric tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist with rear view camera, Heated Rear Seats, electric towbar.
2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#12 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4251 posts
  • My Tiguan:VW ID4 1st Edition
  • Additional Location Information::Worcester

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

As I have grown older, and hopefully wiser, I have realised that the way to tackle speed cameras is to not speed!  

This is the ultimate answer.   :twoup:

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
Previously - 2017 190PS TDI SEL DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless, Full Electric Tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist & Rear View Camera, Heated S/Wheel.

Previously - 2011 140PS TDI Match DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Convenience, Off Road, Bi-Xenons and retro fit fogs.
Previously - 2008 170PS TD
I Sport Manual, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Park Assist, M/F Wheel, Cruise Control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.