#1 OFFLINE   stevesmiff

stevesmiff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • My Tiguan:2012 SE TDI BLUETECH 4MOTION
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Essex, UK

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:05 AM

I've had my 2012 Tig for 3 weeks now. When I first drove it home, the auto start/Stop kicked in a couple of times at the lights so I know it works.

Since that one trip, it hasn't come on again. I understand there are a few prerequisites that have to be met which I am fully aware of from my manual, the ones which I have control over are all fine to my knowledge. I've done a long run so assume battery is full, had nothing running inside car to ensure I wasn't putting a drain on resources and tried on a warm day and a cold day.

I get the white A symbol with a line through it when I get to the lights and come out of gear which signifies it wants to kick in but is unavailable for whatever reason. I guess as one of the requirements are not being met but I can't work out what it could be.

I've also put my obd2 on which shows no error codes. Any ideas?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

#2 OFFLINE   iangaryprice

iangaryprice

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0Tdi SE 4-motion

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:01 PM

I have a 2012 Tiguan as well. As you have realised there are many requirements for the Stop-start to operate.

I don't know all of them but they include battery charge state, outside temperature, engine temperature. Certain heating/AC setiing seem to affect it as well.

I was towing with mine last week, a good long run, stop-start doesn't operate then because trailer is attached.

It's not very warm in the UK at present so that may not be helping, also if you do short journeys - battery will not get charged up enough.

Mine has not operated for some time, I put it down to the cold and too many short journeys.

If the "A" symbol with line through is showing up then the system is working, its just one or more requiremnts have no been met to stop the engine. So you wouldn't get any fault codes.

#3 ONLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Battery might be old and not reporting sufficient charge despite your long run?

Other conditions include AC on and cabin temperature not matching demand from your settings.

Richard. OFC ®

Volvo XC40 Inscription, B4 mild hybrid AWD

Previously, 2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies for 6 years, caravanner.

#4 OFFLINE   stevesmiff

stevesmiff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • My Tiguan:2012 SE TDI BLUETECH 4MOTION
  • Additional Location Information::Essex, UK

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I tested by keeping all my internal items off, which included the AC, to try and rule out battery drain. I know the internal/external temps are on the list but i would say my internal temp was between 18C and 22C and external has been anything between 5C and 16C when I've been testing. Obviously I don't know what the temp requirements are but I would of thought that anything 12C+ externally would suffice and my 18C-22C internal should have no effect especially with AC off. Maybe the temperature ranges are a little more extreme?

I think the battery might be the factor. I had 2 x 45min drives at 50-70mph so you would have thought I'd be fully charged after that but, like you say, if the battery is old then it might not be holding enough charge. I could check with my multimeter but without knowing the range requirements again it probably won't help.

I guess I will just have to live with it and see if it kicks in when summer decides to turn up or when I next replace my battery.

#5 OFFLINE   kev3

kev3

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan SE
  • Additional Location Information::West Sussex

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:48 AM

If you need to test your battery:-

Here is a you tube video on how to test your car battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.