2009 Escape Tyre & Lift options - Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes - myTiguan Forum

Photo

2009 Escape Tyre & Lift options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeyMcFool

JoeyMcFool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • My Tiguan:2009 Escape TDi
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

Hi Folks, 

New member here as recently purchased a Tiguan.  Downgraded from a Jeep Cherokee that had BFGoodrich TA KO2s on it.  Loved these tyres, but I was living in Finland at the time and I don't think I need such a rugged wheel now (moved back to the UK).  

I am now looking at the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyres, these seem very well reviewed overall, and I have family members who have the non SUV variants of the tyres and think they are great.  I am still considering grabbing a set of the KO2s as they were such good tyres.

I have trawled through these forums and the interwebs to try and find answers but was hoping knowledgeable fellow on here might be able to answer a few queries:

Current loadout:

Stock 17/7 alloy wheels with cheap 235/55/17 tyres.

1.  Torn between two tyres:

235/65/17 Michelin CrossClimate SUV - tight in the arch, standard offset of 43, think I would need spacers to push the wheel out away from the spring? Also will this need a lifting spacer kit?

225/65/17 Bridgestone AllTerrain T/A KO2 - my favorite tyre, only available in this size for 17, smaller diameter, still need to change the offset I think?

2.  Looking at the Terma4x4 Lifting spacers for now, as this will help fit the bigger wheel diameter.  What is the approximate labour time to fit these? Having just moved back I no have access to a workshop to do this myself, and honestly would rather leave it to a pro.

3.  Wheel spacers - Not needed these on the jeep and generally get raised eyebrows when I ask about them in mechanic shops, could you please advise on the do's and don;ts around these, I think I might have to take offset to E27, meaning a 16mm spacer if i understand the system correctly?

edit - Can I also solve this issue by just buying audi wheels with a more suitable offset?

Thanks for any help in advance.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 02:54 PM

#2 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 3003 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Rural Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:43 PM

See if you have the availability of Falken Wildpeak AT there. I'll be running a 255/50R18 which is about an inch over stock, with 18x8 ET32 (same size I'm running now) and all I have is an inch spacer on the strut. Waiting till later this summer to mount mine.

All the Subaru kids over here run the various wildpeaks on thier lifted Subarus and love them.
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

Previous: 2011 Golf TDI Stage 2+, 2008 Jetta S 2.5, 1965 VW Beetle
Other Rides: 2017 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 SuperLow

Complete Mod list now on my profile

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

#3 OFFLINE   JoeyMcFool

JoeyMcFool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • My Tiguan:2009 Escape TDi
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:23 PM

Hey Iggy

Thanks for the reply, but looking at the Falken site, they do not do a 255/50R18, the smallest profile is 55, this pushes the wheel diameter to 737.7mm, which looks really tight in the arches when I have a look.  

#4 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 3003 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Rural Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:10 PM

Wilpeak does have an oem size in a 235/50R18 as well here.
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

Previous: 2011 Golf TDI Stage 2+, 2008 Jetta S 2.5, 1965 VW Beetle
Other Rides: 2017 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 SuperLow

Complete Mod list now on my profile

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.